Corsair Community

1500's Audio Crackling: Software/Hardware or Both?

ehcanadian

I've had my replacement 1500s (for my dead-out-of-box HS1s) for about a month now. They're freaking awesome when they work, buuttt, when they don't...

What happens is, when I'm playing games, the sound will break up and crackle. This won't happen all the time, but happens often. When it does happen, it'll be at least twice or so during a gaming session. I would have to alt-tab and open up the Corsair Audio console and keep switching 7.1, to bypass, to surround, until it works again. This seems to fix the problem, but the question is how, and why does it occur in the first place?

I mostly use these when playing Battlefield 3, but they also occurred when testing Cities XL. I've played L4D2 only once with them on, and the sound didn't break up during the hour-long session.

If switching between the audio settings (dolby surround, surround 7.1 and bypass) solves the problem, I'm assuming it can't be hardware?

Check your control panel, sound, playback settings. What bit depth and sample rates do you have chosen for your headset?

I've had my replacement 1500s (for my dead-out-of-box HS1s) for about a month now. They're freaking awesome when they work, buuttt, when they don't...

What happens is, when I'm playing games, the sound will break up and crackle. This won't happen all the time, but happens often. When it does happen, it'll be at least twice or so during a gaming session. I would have to alt-tab and open up the Corsair Audio console and keep switching 7.1, to bypass, to surround, until it works again. This seems to fix the problem, but the question is how, and why does it occur in the first place?

I mostly use these when playing Battlefield 3, but they also occurred when testing Cities XL. I've played L4D2 only once with them on, and the sound didn't break up during the hour-long session.

If switching between the audio settings (dolby surround, surround 7.1 and bypass) solves the problem, I'm assuming it can't be hardware?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't been able to test this with different systems. Given that it happens in some games but not others, I would need access to a computer with games on it.

That being said, I recently installed the Windows 8 Release Preview and I have not run into this problem yet.

Archived