Corsair Community

K70 RGB Boot Up and Shut Down Lighting Issue

negativedan

I have an issue with my K70 RGB (older original logo version if that matters) not lighting on boot up or not turning off under these two conditions.

Scenario 1: Software is left running on shut down, keyboard will turn off, will not light up on power on until software is started.

Scenario 2: Software is completely exited before shut down, keyboard will stay lit after computer is completely powered down.

I have created my profile and saved it to onboard memory. Ideally I would like to be able to set up my lighting effects and then never have to worry about starting the software again (even uninstall it) until I need it.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I just received my board last night so I'm still figuring things out.

Other notes:

Specs listed in my account

Using USB 3.0

Latest software/firmware

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

Another thing to add, when I plugged the keyboard in for the first time with no software installed, with the default red and white theme, it worked as it should have

I have a similar issue with mine as well. Once I power down, the keyboard will stay on and revert back to the red mode with white arrow and WASD keys. I don't want any of the LED's to prematurely burn out from staying on, so I'm hoping there's a link to the latest firmware that'll help resolve this.

I've also experienced my lighting effects freeze up on me after about 5 hours. It roughly does it in those intervals, and the rainbow wave pattern that I'm using - the first and only wave pattern I've used so far, just freezes in whatever cycle the colors happen to be on. To get it going again, I usually have to reboot.

As for my setup, I have both connections running through USB 2.

• Corsair Employee
I have a similar issue with mine as well. Once I power down, the keyboard will stay on and revert back to the red mode with white arrow and WASD keys. I don't want any of the LED's to prematurely burn out from staying on, so I'm hoping there's a link to the latest firmware that'll help resolve this.

I've also experienced my lighting effects freeze up on me after about 5 hours. It roughly does it in those intervals, and the rainbow wave pattern that I'm using - the first and only wave pattern I've used so far, just freezes in whatever cycle the colors happen to be on. To get it going again, I usually have to reboot.

As for my setup, I have both connections running through USB 2.

The LEDs won't burn out if they stay on but what you can do is when the system is asleep but the keyboard stays on, you can use the dimmer button to dim or turn off the LEDs.

We're looking more into the second issue you're reporting (if you have the logs by any chance when you get the issue, we'd love to see it).

I have a similar issue with mine as well. Once I power down, the keyboard will stay on and revert back to the red mode with white arrow and WASD keys.

What about when the board stays on when the system is completely off? Not just in sleep mode.

I have the same problem as listed in each statement above. At first, I suspected that my K70 RBG (Brown) was staying lit after my laptop was powered down because I was connecting it to a powered USB (3.0) hub.

To test that theory, I removed the keyboard from the hub and plugged it directly into a USB (3.0) port on the laptop. I shut down and restarted several times. Every time, the keyboard remains lit (until I manually push the led brightness button down to zero).

Why is the keyboard still drawing current while its host is powered down?

OK so previously I had USB Battery charging disabled in BIOS which I thought would have done the trick but I have now found another setting, EUP, which I had to enable to disable USB power (just a little confusing there).

This sort of fixes the problem, my keyboard will now turn on and off with the computer but the effects (wave, color changing on key press) will not work until the software is started. Also, changing this BIOS setting is not ideal because it also affects power on and wake states by keyboard, lan, and other peripherals.

Previously I had a Deck Legend on this machine and its leds would turn off when I powered down so it must be a firmware issue with the Corsair as it doesn't seem to be saving the effects into memory properly on power on either.

Corsair Moderator - is there an update available to this issue? I've noticed that other people have started similar threads where their keyboards are still on, even after system shut down, so there has to be some validity to the claims.

Should we each file support tickets, or is this something that you've acknowledged and will be rolling out an updated fix for?

To add some further info to my post above where I mentioned the BIOS setting, it seems that there is a second setting you need to disable: EuP, or something like that.

If there is an entry under Power Menu in BIOS called EuP Ready, then enabling this item will cut power to USB ports. It comes disabled by Default. This is to charge USB devices, such as Mobile phones, while the computer is powered down.

Press [Delete] key on POST screen and go to CMOS setting> Advanced> ACPI settings/WakeUp Event control, then enable EuP Control.

Save and exit the BIOS, then USB 3.0 will turn off stand-by power.

It's really awesome that you check out these bios settings, but to be honest, it should work without these adjustments ;)

Hopefully they will fix it soon in a firmware update. There are also Problems with saving profiles on the keyboard...

well, we'll see

I agree completely with arilon.

The principal here is that the only thing that has changed in the system, is the different keyboard; which for me, was a Razer Black Widow to the K70.

The Razer powered down just fine without any BIOS changes. So the point is, why does the K70 fail to power down, when other peripherals power down just fine? And since nothing else has changed, configuration-wise, then logic would dictate that this is an issue with the new (Corsair) hardware; something that should be reasonably easy to remedy via firmware update.

And terabyte, the suggestion is appreciated, greatly. It was very thorough of you to not only post your original statement, but to follow up with further clarification as well. So please don't take this the wrong way, as it is not meant to be disrespectful in the slightest; but, for all intents and purposes of this thread, suggestions of BIOS changes are not really conducive to the matter. What we are looking for, as consumers, is a way to experience the behavior that we are expecting, in just the same manner from what seems to be all other peripherals before moving to this product.

Perhaps Razer (and other manufacturers) have simply already turned off the power draw from their peripherals via the devices' firmware; something that Corsair may have overlooked and can issue a hotfix/firmware update for. I think in general, this is what we're looking for confirmation about. And other posters, if I'm wrong on that, feel free to call me out.

I agree completely with arilon.

The principal here is that the only thing that has changed in the system, is the different keyboard; which for me, was a Razer Black Widow to the K70.

The Razer powered down just fine without any BIOS changes. So the point is, why does the K70 fail to power down, when other peripherals power down just fine? And since nothing else has changed, configuration-wise, then logic would dictate that this is an issue with the new (Corsair) hardware; something that should be reasonably easy to remedy via firmware update.

And terabyte, the suggestion is appreciated, greatly. It was very thorough of you to not only post your original statement, but to follow up with further clarification as well. So please don't take this the wrong way, as it is not meant to be disrespectful in the slightest; but, for all intents and purposes of this thread, suggestions of BIOS changes are not really conducive to the matter. What we are looking for, as consumers, is a way to experience the behavior that we are expecting, in just the same manner from what seems to be all other peripherals before moving to this product.

Perhaps Razer (and other manufacturers) have simply already turned off the power draw from their peripherals via the devices' firmware; something that Corsair may have overlooked and can issue a hotfix/firmware update for. I think in general, this is what we're looking for confirmation about. And other posters, if I'm wrong on that, feel free to call me out.

No worries. But I want to clarify further that from what I understand Corsair made the keyboard do this on purpose so it's not an issue from their point on view. That's what I think after reading some of their replies at least, it's just my opinion in the end. But if you consider that that rainbow pattern was specifically added for when the keyboard is in standby and you can't reproduce it until they add LUA scripting. You can certainly see why I think it was done on purpose.

But considering how many peoples are reporting this "issue" they might rethink it and update/change the firmware.

I'm having issues with my K70 RGB as well and I can't wait till they fix it! The only way I don't have issues is if I never let my computer go to sleep. If I do, the keyboard will not be responsive unless I either shutdown and reboot or I get under my desk to unplug the keyboard. So frustrating that all my other much cheaper keyboards work just fine and this one can't function at least as good as a regular keyboard. :( Seriously considering sending it back.

I have the latest drivers installed as well. K70RGB_app112.bin

I fixed my issue by using usb2 ports. The usb3 ports would not start till the driver loaded.

I was wrong. If I remove power then plug in (aka usb3 to usb2 while booting up), I get the default red tone.

I hope they have a fix for it soon. Hard to type in the dark for Windows password.

• 4 weeks later...

I to am experiencing the issue with the K70 RGB LEDs staying on after the PC is shutdown. Running Asus Extreme-Z IV with latest update.

For the sake of providing further details the Roccat Ryos, Roccat Kone XTD and Steelseries Siberian Elite all power down properly.

I have tried powering the keyboard from 1 USB 3.0 port, 2 USB 3.0 ports, 2 USB 2.0 ports via the Asus PA248 3.0 powered USB port.

I am using the work around of dimming the keyboard until resolved.

If you require further details or have a BETA software I could try do not hesitate to reach out.

On the flip side the K70 worked like a champ in the BIOS (flipping the bios switch) unlike the aforementioned keyboard.

Just got my K70 RGB and I am having the staying on issue as well. :(

I managed to solve it by using ErP setting but I don't want to leave it that way because as mentioned, it cuts down on features like Wake on LAN.

I really hope a firmware update fixes this. Not too happy with my 1 day old K70 RGB so far.

Hey guys, I have a K70 and I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but in addition to my keyboard staying on AFTER shut down. I unplug my keyboard, wait a moment then replug it in and the keyboard just lights back up. Currently when my computer is off I simply leave my keyboard unplugged which I feel is a bit silly. I've been unplugging and replugging so much lately hope it doesn't affect the connector or ports. However, if lets say I turned my computer off to go to sleep, wake up in the morning and replug in my k70 before turning it on, the keyboard doesnt light up. It only lights up if I plug it in soon after shut down. I'm not much of a hardware guy but just wanted to describe above situation, anyone else experiencing something similar as well? Oh yes, once again I am on an ASUS Z87-A LGA for intel chipset running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit if that helps at all.

Actually, there is firmware 1.13 that you should install.

This occurs on the latest firmware & CUE version. (Not that CUE would have an impact on the KB behavior once the PC is off)

But yes, with 1.13 firmware, when you power off your PC, the KB will stay lit with whatever profile you 'saved to the device'. (Hardware profile)

So you should be able to make a profile called "sleep" or whatever, set the keys to all black and bind one key to rotate to the next profile(s) when you want the keys to light back up however you want? So it should work like: put the computer to sleep and the keyboard defaults to the "sleep" profile and turns all the lights out. Wake the computer, keys are still out as its in "sleep" profile, hit F1 or whatever key you bind to do the profile switching and then they keyboard lights up to whatever profile you had next in the list. Maybe?

Hello here ! i think Dochogan give the solution for that issue . Like a lot of people , i got the led's issue don't turning off with PC after installing the last CUE version . At the fisrt install , i delete the new profil saved in memory keyboard named HwProfile1 -_- and replace it by my personal profile so i can't say if this profile (HwProfile1) is the probleme for the led's issue ...

But for me , create a default new profile called HwProfile1 with no lights for each keys and saved it on memory keyboard and my personal profile set as default (automatic) profil , solved the probleme : keyboard turn off with PC / but no lights during the start up of PC -_- / my personal profile is loaded when CUE start .

So let try that until CUE update , works for me -__-

When the system is asleep but the keyboard stays on, you can use the dimmer button to dim or turn off the LEDs.

This doesn't always work, last night it did but the previous night the dimmer button didnt work, so I unplugged the keyboard and the lights went out.

But then I plugged it back in assuming the lights would stay off, but it came back on with the default read and white profile, followed by a rather pretty rainbow profile.

I should note that my coomputer wasn't actually asleep though, I had shut it down :confused:

Is it possible to assign a profile to shutting your pc down like with application profiles?

Hello guys, not sure if anyone has found a resolution for the issue of the k70 staying lit after system is shutdown. I found a solution for myself that may work for you to.

So to begin you need to make a new profile, name it what you want I named mine off, now you need to save that profile to the Device Memory. Now when you shutdown your system it should only see this profile that is on board of the device and no led's will be active except for the caps lock indicator. I hope this will help someone from having to unplug or dim every time from now on.

Archived