Corsair Community

Memory for ASUS P9X79-E WS

sweepee

Hello everyone. I recently ordered an ASUS P9X79-E WS. When I used the Corsair memory locator tool it doesn't pull up any of the Dominator Platinum products. Are there any of these modules that will work with this motherboard? I'm looking to fill it with a complete set of 8 modules.

Thank you!

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps I'm missing something but according to the motherboard specs it only natively supports 1866/1600/1333/1066. Anything higher would require over clocking...it that right?

Again, thanks.

Thank you for the reply. Perhaps I'm missing something but according to the motherboard specs it only natively supports 1866/1600/1333/1066. Anything higher would require over clocking...it that right?

Again, thanks.

Sort of. Yourt board will natively support up to 2400mhz memory through overclocking, but your CPU only supports a max of 1866mhz depending on the CPU you use. Some max out at 1600 officially.. So yes, anything above that (1866)would require overclocking the memory controller in your CPU

What is officially supported will be determined by the CPU's your using.

I purchased an Intel Core i7-4930K Ivy Bridge-E 3.4GHz LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80633i74930K.

I'm looking for fast but stable. I'm not really into over-clocking but I may give it a try sometime after I've got my system built.

Thanks very much for the information.

Meh I'd say if your running 8 sticks then stick with 1866 or 2133 to make things easier. Really it depends on the cpu. 4 sticks at 2400 should not be an issue.

wouldnt running 8 sticks be most dependent on the memory controllers capability's ?

Am I to understand then that more sticks means I should purchase slower rated memory modules?

Sweepe there is no way to know if any CPU is going to be able to run at any speed. 2400mhz is a pretty hefty memory overclock for that CPU. Plus your wanting to run 8 sticks which puts a greater load on the CPU's memory controller which leads to more heat..

I would suggest no more than an 2133mhz kit to keep it to a small overclock. With that much memory the difference between 1866 and 2133mhz is never going to be noticeable. It wouldn't be noticeable even with a smaller amount anyway.

originally posted by wytnyt:

wouldnt running 8 sticks be most dependent on the memory controllers capability's ?

Yes and no. Really there should be no problems running 8 sticks at defaults or even with a small OC. But yes, when you get towards the higher OC's IMC strength most certainly comes in to play.

Archived