Corsair Community

So Corsair keyboards doesn't work with USB extentions? wow...

LOLZ

Well, i am currently working on a better setup in my room. I need to extend my Corsair k70 LUX RGB 1 meter so i can mount my tower on the wall, next to my gaming table... So i bought some USB 3.0 extension cables and tried to extend.. but nah, keyboard doesn't respond.. keyboard lights up, but doesn't register anything when typing.

I then made a ticket and got the reply:

"Unfortunately we do not support our keyboards to be plugged into any sort of USB extensions or hubs and are unable to guarantee any sort of functionality when doing so. I apologize for the inconvenience and hope you have a great rest of your week."

And I'm like WTF? Does this mean i just have to give up and buy a new keyboard? Why am i finding zero data to back up this claim when googling?.. I have found zero posts indicating other users having the same issue??..

I have my k55 rgb plugged into one the cheapo Amazon basics and it works fine.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00DQFGH80/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some stuff just doesn't work well if you don't have a powered hub for the extension as the USB ports can only supply so much, having a powered hub usually will let stuff work whereas in some cases just an extension will cause issues.

Have my g600 mouse and the k55 keyboard plugged into the same amazon basic powered hub which is plugged into 2x 6 foot cheapo usb extension cables which plug into the back of the PC. They both work fine!

If I plug the keyboard directly into the 2x 6 ft. extensions without going through the hub I have all kinds of issues of it working, not working connect disconnect etc etc.

Edited by Fillmore Graves

While I certainly can't speak for Corsair, I do understand their position. There are WILDLY differing levels of quality in off-the-shelf extensions and they have no visibility into this or control over it. It's simply not reasonable to expect them to support every variation that's out there (and there are a lot). Some high quality USB cables make work. The critical factor in this, as Fillmore Graves alluded to, is the gauge of the cable. USB can only supply so much power and the cable's resistance causes a drop in voltage and (therefore) wattage. You can't avoid that; it's a law of physics. Higher quality cables have a lower gauge, which means lower resistance, which translate to less voltage drop and power loss. But it's still there. And it's not insignificant.

Now, "supporting" this configuration means that Corsair takes on testing, validation, verification and quality control of the extension. They simply cannot do that for 3rd party cables.

They do work with a good quality extension cable.

Got a 32 ft. extension from Lindy which works without issues with my K95 nor anything else I plug into it, my TP Link hub on the other hand has tons of issues, so not even connecting it to the PC anymore.

While I certainly can't speak for Corsair, I do understand their position. There are WILDLY differing levels of quality in off-the-shelf extensions and they have no visibility into this or control over it. It's simply not reasonable to expect them to support every variation that's out there (and there are a lot). Some high quality USB cables make work. The critical factor in this, as Fillmore Graves alluded to, is the gauge of the cable. USB can only supply so much power and the cable's resistance causes a drop in voltage and (therefore) wattage. You can't avoid that; it's a law of physics. Higher quality cables have a lower gauge, which means lower resistance, which translate to less voltage drop and power loss. But it's still there. And it's not insignificant.

Now, "supporting" this configuration means that Corsair takes on testing, validation, verification and quality control of the extension. They simply cannot do that for 3rd party cables.

Well then it would be nice if Corsair could point a customer towards a working USB extension. I would gladly buy a overpriced cable that works - They could even manufacture these themselves?

But the latest reply seem to indicate that this is not possible at all.

"Unfortunately, because our devices require much more power than a normal USB device, extensions do not work with our devices. Non-powered USB 2.0 and 3.0 hubs have been shown to have power and latency issues with our devices. We do not recommend this configuration, it must be plugged in directly. Hubs have also been shown to cut communication with our iCUE software."

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Well is it then possible to purchase a corsair-compatible USB extension cable? I would say pointing a customer towards a solution is better customer service, than telling a customer "you are doing it wrong"

• Corsair Employee
Well is it then possible to purchase a corsair-compatible USB extension cable? I would say pointing a customer towards a solution is better customer service, than telling a customer "you are doing it wrong"

Unfortunately, as our support agent also indicated to you and as it has been explained in this thread, we do not support our keyboards and mice being plugged into USB extension cables. We also do not manufacture any such cable or test cables for compatibility.

Well then it would be nice if Corsair could point a customer towards a working USB extension. I would gladly buy a overpriced cable that works - They could even manufacture these themselves?

But the latest reply seem to indicate that this is not possible at all.

"Unfortunately, because our devices require much more power than a normal USB device, extensions do not work with our devices. Non-powered USB 2.0 and 3.0 hubs have been shown to have power and latency issues with our devices. We do not recommend this configuration, it must be plugged in directly. Hubs have also been shown to cut communication with our iCUE software."

Um the answer is staring in the face in this reply and even from a couple other post here in this very thread.

Get a POWERED USB extension or hub!

• 2 weeks later...
Um the answer is staring in the face in this reply and even from a couple other post here in this very thread.

Get a POWERED USB extension or hub!

Yes I've read and considered the comments, However the reply i get from support indicates that this would not work.

Latest reply:

ME:

"Is there a way to solve the issue i have? I need to extend my Corsair keyboard 1 meter. Can Corsair sell me a compatible USB extension cable? Or is there nothing in this world that will let me extend the range of my keyboard by 1 meter?"

Support:

"We unfortunately, do not make extensions or a hub that will extend your keyboard, I can not suggest any product that will help with the situation. Sorry for the inconvenience."

So you, and other users are saying one thing.. And support is saying the

opposite.. I guess i just expected too much. :)

• 4 months later...

The K55 needs a fair bit of power but I have USB 3.2 which has adequate current. USB 3.x extensions tend to be better than USB 2.0 variants

My keyboard is plugged into a powered USB 3.x hub and it works fine there as well as directly connected.

Edited by Vegan