Corsair Community

For those who followed my previous adventures of my 500d build you will remember my love of 140mm fans. I love big slow moving fans because they result in a really, really quiet system. I had maxed out how many 140mm fans I could get in my case with custom water cooling, so the only way to fit more fans was to supersize it. So I dialed it up to 11 and order the 1000d.

Here is the parts list of what is in this build:

• Hydro X XC7 CPU Water Block
  • Hydro X Series XD5 Pump/Reservoir
  • Hydro X XG7 GPU Water Block
  • 420mm Radiator
  • 280mm Radiator
  • 120mm Radiator
  • 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengence RAM
  • Corsair HX850i PSU
  • 16 Corsair RGB Strips
  • Extra Corsair 1000d Front Fan
  • 9 x Corsair LL140mm Fans
  • 1 x Corsair LL120mm Fan
  • 2 x Corsair ML140mm Fans
  • 1 x Corsair ML120mm Fan
  • AMD Ryzen 7 2700
  • EVGA 2070 XC Gaming
  • Thermaltake TF-1 Temperature and Flow Sensor
  • 1 Corsair Commander Pro
  • 2 x Corsair Lighting Node Pro
  • 2 PWM Fan Hubs
  • 2 Corsair RGB Fan Hubs
  • Misc cables from Pirate Dog Tech to make it all fit together

Here is a picture of the how the 1000d looks when delivered. Bring your weight belt when you have to move this thing. Cat added for scale. :)

49175683222_56bee15a13_k.jpg

Next up will be the build photos.

Here are the photos of the build in progress. People who build in the 1000d usually prefer the maximum LL120 fan count. For me it was maximizing the larger fans. This does reduce cooling options with regard to radiator space, but I am not building two systems in this case so I don't need two radiators in parallel that going with the smaller fans would allow. I also chose to mount my GPU vertically in the slot that is used for the an ITX GPU build. This brings the GPU forward in the case (which I think looks better), but would normally leave a large hole in the back of the case. I contact ColdZero (who made the custom 140mm front fan tray for my 500d) to see if the could make a plate to fit over the ITX slot in the back of the case. They delivered a great product that fits exactly. First steps were building out the radiators-fan bricks. Next was installing all the cabling and cooling. Areas of difficulty were managing the radiator connections to work around the fans (which required fitting extensions), and mounting the pump fan bracket on the mounting plate. It would be nice if Corsair would provide screw-nut pairs that fit under the pump mount tray of the 1000d (either with the pump combo or with the 1000d itself). I had to improvise between left over screws from the AIOs I have purchase and other build work I have done. One cool thing I did was steal an idea from Grand Master Zotty and put an extra RGB Corsair Sail (which comes mounted to the front of the case in a 1000d). Getting some help from Zotty's pictures and discussion on the Discord, I cut down the plastic case with an xacto saw and mounted it into the bracket for the pump. I then covered the back with black vinyl tape to prevent light leakage from the back of the RGB display.

Photos of the build in progress. It may look like a giant bundle of wire in progress. That's because that's exactly what it is. I have half the fans of a lot of 1000d users and I was overwhelmed at times. I recommend performing an RGB test prior to filling your loop. Pulling out a bad RGB fan or having to rewire something after you fill your loop with coolant can be a pain. You don't need to power your motherboard to fire up all the RGB. Just make sure only the RGB is connected for your pump and NOT the molex when you do this. Do NOT run your pump when it is dry. After the RGB check out, then fill your loop and run the leak test. As you add coolant to the system, take care to not run your pump empty.

49175682937_0c90188331_k.jpg

49174982223_7a15612e72_k.jpg

49175467426_f45ad4eb26_k.jpg

49175468291_0c9de841bf_k.jpg

49174982673_9b2354d16e_k.jpg

RGB Test

49175468156_975eac43d7_k.jpg

Getting ready for the leak test

49175468236_dcb77320b0_k.jpg

Edited by usna92

For those who are interested. At full loads on CPU and GPU my temps are fantastic. CPU at load is never above 38c and GPU at OC Load is 45c max. My framerates are great in the Outer Worlds, WoW, and EvE Online which are the games I play the most.

As for what is next, I plan on going to one of the new Ryzen 9 chips, either a 3900x or 3950x when their availability becomes more consistent. Corsair is also helping me out on the RGB front. In the course of completing this build they release the LS-120 lighting kit and the QL series of fans. I ordered a LS-120 kit for the back of my monitors which will free up 6 RGB strips to put back in my case somewhere (I am sure I will find someplace to put them). I have ordered some QL fans to try them out and if I like them, I will be phasing them into the build as I can afford to. Replacing 13 fans is a large expense, so that will be done over time.

I hoped you like the build notes. Feel free to ask me any question about my build.

To be honest, I hate to think about it.

• Fans $500
  • Case $500
  • CPU $250 (at the time)
  • Motherboard $200
  • RAM $200
  • GPU $650 (at the time)
  • Water Cooling Components $1000
  • RGB Strips $150
  • PSU $200
  • Custom PSU Cables $100
  • Misc RGB stuff $50 (Splitters, RGB Sails)
  • Corsair Stickers and Magnets (thanks PirateDog) $50
  • PWM Splitters and SATA Cables $75

In short, a lot, and I have probably forgotten something I am sure.