Corsair Community

CX400W gives high pitched noise under load

_chris

Hi,

after updating from my 3DClub ATI 4650 and installing an PowerColor ATI 4830 my Corsair CX400W does give me high pitched sounds under load. It didn´t do this with the 4650.

The sound varies with mouse-movements and window-movements (-> load changes). The type of sound is pretty high and annoying. There are no speakers attached to the PC.. :roll:

What can I do? Might there be a failure with the graphics card that causes the sound? From my calculations, the CX400W should provide enough power for my system.

Regards,

Chris

just did a few tests..

#1: My ATI 4830 graphics card, a friend´s PC (no name 400W PSU): Everything working fine.

#2: Friend´s graphic card (Geforce 8800 GT), my PC (Corsair CX400W): Some high pitched noise from the PSU when the GPU is loaded but not as much as with the 4830.

#3: My PC with Safe Mode: Since there is no real possibility to put the GPU under load in safe mode I´m not sure how this one should help. I noticed only a few short high pitched sounds from the PSU, e.g. when scrolling or opening windows.

Chris

just FYI: with the ATI4830 installed in the friend´s PC we heard some (frame rate dependant!) whining from the graphics card (seemed to be coils - grey cubic thingies). It disappeared when putting a finger on them or flexing the card a bit :eek:

The ATI4830 and the Geforce 8800 should have about the same power usage. In this case, the voltage regulation circuitry of the 4830 must have made a small difference and caused graphic card based whining. I´d blame it on the 4830´s load characteristic.

• Corsair Employee
I'm not 100% confident that a replacement would resolve the issue, but if you would like to give it a shot, then we can do that for you. Please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived