Corsair Community

H80 pump mounted but not touching CPU

ebsidic

Hello, I am trying to install my H80 cooler onto my Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard which has an LGA2011 socket. I installed the back plate onto the back of the MB, secured it using the LGA2011-type mounting screws, slid the pump onto them, and secured it with the fasteners that screw on over the mounting screws.

My CPU overheated, and when I took the pump off to examine, I noticed that the pump didn't even touch the cpu... there's an air gap of a few millimeters, at least.

There are no components blocking the pump from going down on the mounts all the way. It's as far down as it will go. Please help me!

Yeah pics would help. We have seen a few boards that have caps in the way but i haven't seen anyone with socket 2011 CPU's doing this. Some have had problems getting all four studs started , but not really any issues off them not bottoming out .

Forgive me if I've got this mixed up with something else, but I'm sure I read something about this a couple of weeks ago.

You mention using the supplied backplate??? Doesn't that board already have a mounting plate in place with a screw hole on each corner, (albeit on the front of the board per se)?????

.....Aren't you simply supposed to screw the 4 stand-offs into the 4 screw holes on the corners of the LGA2011 socket/backplate/CPU retaining bracket itself (without using the backplate supplied with the H80)????......

......Then fit your H80's CPU block onto the screws, and tighten them down.

If I'm wrong, my apologies :).

Hello, I am trying to install my H80 cooler onto my Asus Sabertooth X79 motherboard which has an LGA2011 socket. I installed the back plate onto the back of the MB, secured it using the LGA2011-type mounting screws, slid the pump onto them, and secured it with the fasteners that screw on over the mounting screws.

This doesn't make sense to me. If you are using the LGA2011 socket (and with that motherboard there doesn't seem to be any other choice) there is no backplate to install. You simply install the H80 mounting screws into the LGA2011 screw holes. Perhaps that is the problem? The mounting screws you want to use are the asymmetrical ones; i.e., the screw lengths and widths are different from end-to-end.

The LGA2011 does have a plate on the back. I had it installed without the supplied back plate, but it seemed to me like the CPU was still getting hot. I had a problem with my computer turning itself off, so I thought maybe the MB was flexing from heat and pulling away from the pump (and overheating as a result).

I guess my problem was elsewhere after all.

It's too bad the instructions don't discriminate between socket types, and the screws that are labeled "LGA2011" are the ones that don't fit the LGA2011. :confused:

Archived