Corsair Community

How good is SSD

cssjim

I have yet to use an SSD drive but keeping told due to the lack of moving parts they are VERY much quicker. Any thoughts would be much appreciated before I spend my money

depends on what your current motherboard is capable of, if it can support an NVMe drive, definitely get one. its lightning fast. if it can only support sata connections, then definitely still get a sata ssd.

either way its gonna be a huge upgrade in terms of loading, but i advise getting at least a 1tb ssd because these days games are massive, and if you want to benefit from loading times from any games you play currently, you need the space to do so :).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with the previous speakers. I myself have been using an SSD for a long time and am highly satisfied with it!

In this article you can also have a look at the advantages and disadvantages of a SSD, as well as a comparison between SSD and HDD. (The article is in German, but you can easily translate it for example with DeepL)

https://www.heimkinoheld.de/externe-ssd-festplatte-test/

It is about external hard drives, but the principle is the same.

Just to pile on ... it's probably the single, least expensive and most impactful upgrade you can make. Switching your boot drive from magnetic spinning platters to an SSD will be mind-blowingly faster.

Consider this - load time for the OS and applications is more dependent on disk than anything else. Not only do SSDs have faster transfer rates, they don't have the seek times or fragmentation associated with spinning platters.

• 4 weeks later...