Corsair Community

iCue with Command Pro just stopped working (Fan speed issue)

GoodBurger

I will try to be as detailed as possible.

I have been running a Commander pro in my pc for the past 4 months, using iCue. Everything has been running GREAT. I have 2x140MM Corsair RGB fans, and 3x120MM RGB fans all connected, and everything has been working as expected. I created a few custom profiles, and I am able to assign "Quiet", "Balanced" and "Extreme" to the corresponding profiles. Today while playing a game, I noticed that suddenly my fan speed didn't seem right.

I uninstalled iCue in an attempt to reinstall it to fix the issue. Immediately upon uninstalling, the fans all started to run at a REALLY high RPM, even though my CPU temp was fairly normal (~40C).

I reinstalled, and now none of the profiles work correctly. Especially in the "QUIET" profile; where the fans used to run at around 800RPM in QUIET they are now running at 1500RPM. BALANCED kicks that up to 1700RPM for two of them and 1300 for two others. It just doesn't make any sense. Everything was working PERFECTLY, and then stopped working. I uninstalled and reinstalled again, while performing the CLEAN INSTALL steps on the Corsair website.

I would prefer to not have to set custom fan profiles, because it appears that that feature is also not working properly; doing that causes the fans to run erratically. Has anyone had this happen, and if so how did they fix it?

I also want to add then when I uninstalled iCue my fans were still running at full speed. I then installed LINK, and was able to drop the fan speed down using the "Quiet" profile in LINK.

Thinking it might have been resolved I installed iCue again. As soon as it started to "import profiles", the fans started to run full speed again, even on the QUIET profile.

Edited by GoodBurger

The fan profiles for the Commander Pro are based on CPU temperature. That functionality is how it's been since launch.

If you've always used the default profiles, AFAIK, nothing should have changed.

That said, the very strong recommendation is to use custom profiles based on a temperature that is more sane (and stable) than the CPU temperature. The thermistors that come with the Commander Pro are excellent for this very thing.

The fan profiles for the Commander Pro are based on CPU temperature. That functionality is how it's been since launch.

If you've always used the default profiles, AFAIK, nothing should have changed.

That said, the very strong recommendation is to use custom profiles based on a temperature that is more sane (and stable) than the CPU temperature. The thermistors that come with the Commander Pro are excellent for this very thing.

Yeah, I have had to resort to doing just that. It's unfortunate, everything has been working really well for me and then it just...stopped.

Also, for some reason iCue is not detecting my thermal probes. I have two installed and they do not appear in iCue. I event went ahead and reinstalled Windows from scratch, just to see if this helped and it did not.

This leads me to believe the commander unit may be having some issues.

Yeah, I have had to resort to doing just that. It's unfortunate, everything has been working really well for me and then it just...stopped.

Also, for some reason iCue is not detecting my thermal probes. I have two installed and they do not appear in iCue. I event went ahead and reinstalled Windows from scratch, just to see if this helped and it did not.

This leads me to believe the commander unit may be having some issues.

You could try resetting the Commander Pro to see if this restores functionality:

1. Ensure your PC running, unplug the SATA connection from the CoPro,
  2. On the front of the CoPro, there is a small hole. Using a straightened paperclip or similar, press the reset button found in the hole described and whilst continuing to hold the reset button down, reconnect the SATA cable (three hands would come in useful here).
  3. Release the reset button.

After a brief-ish period, the Commander Pro should be recognised by the system. Check ICUE and update the firmware as required.

You could try resetting the Commander Pro to see if this restores functionality:

1. Ensure your PC running, unplug the SATA connection from the CoPro,
  2. On the front of the CoPro, there is a small hole. Using a straightened paperclip or similar, press the reset button found in the hole described and whilst continuing to hold the reset button down, reconnect the SATA cable (three hands would come in useful here).
  3. Release the reset button.

After a brief-ish period, the Commander Pro should be recognised by the system. Check ICUE and update the firmware as required.

Ah I did that, and for a minute, it actually worked. Then to test it out I stupidly change the profile from QUIET (which was spinning at a lovely 700RPM) to Balanced, and suddenly the fans were running at +1200RPM, and switching back to QUIET didn't slow them down one bit.

I'll just stick with my custom curve for now. Thanks!

If the thermal probes are not detected, that may indeed be an issue. You can flip the connector over on the the two pin, but generally it doesn’t matter and this is a bit worrisome. They also make the ideal control variable so you can’t use the way it was intended. CPU temp is not a good or meaningful control variable unless you actually are running a pair of air cooler fans from it.