Corsair Community

Spec-Alpha Fan Controller Fire

Gölsche

Hello All

I recently bought a Spec-Alpha case and moved my current system out of the old case, I just wanted more room to expand. One of the reasons I bought the case in the first place was because of the fan controller located at the front. Sice there is four "fan plugs", the ones that power the fans and come from the fan controller, i assumed that the controller could handle four fans. I connected the three supplied fans and got everything set up.

I was suspicious at the time because I felt one SATA plug to power three fans wasnt very much, considering amperage and so on but still went ahead with it.

I ran the system about an hour in the morning even turning up the controller to its max setting. in the afternoon i started it back up and there was smoke coming from the case. I immediately shut off the powersupply but the SATA power wires to the fan controller had burned out.

I'm getting a new unit from the shop I bought it at but am nervous to connect the fans to the controller this time around.

Has anyone else had this issue? The fan controller should be able to power the three fans it comes with right?

Sorry for the long post, hopefully someone can clarify if this was a faulty wire or if it really was overload on the wires which caused the wire to burn.

Thanks in advance

Gölsche

I have not seen this on here before, so |I suspect that it isn't a common fault. I would suggest that even though you are getting a new case, you should contact Corsair, via the Support Ticket System link just above your post and let them know, I'm sure that they would want the opportunity to examine the case after it has been exchanged.

Archived