Corsair Community

New PSU - Case fans remain lit after PC shutdown

AdzUK

• Corsair Employee

lol what are you on about, please quote where I have spurted that crap? you obviously want to believe that ...maybe the 'real' corsair engineer should come on this thread and give a sensible suggestion as there is certainly some 'thin air. ;):' coming out of you :roll:

Because you're ignoring the fact that he's unplugged the PSU from the wall. There's no AC power coming into the PSU. There is a charge in the caps. LEDs can run off very low voltage, so while the power out may not be 12V, it can be as low as 1V, still power the LEDs and take longer to discharge the caps.

You can "try another molex" or "plug it into the motherboard instead of the fan controller", etc. all day long, but that doesn't change the fact that there's a DC source somewhere. He has nothing with a charge plugged into the PC (i.e. powered HDD enclosure, phone, powered USB hub, etc.) so the power should be coming from the PSU.... yet the PSU is not plugged in.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corsair Employee

So far, with no load, I get +0.4V on the +12V after the PSU is shut down... and it holds that for a while. But what I've yet to find out is how long it can maintain that 0.4V charge and is that enough to light those LEDs. I might have to buy some of those fans just to test it out.

We're going to perform the same test with some older PSUs (AX1200i, for example) to see if we can duplicate it. The capacitance is around the same, but the AX1200i is a very different topology than the RM1000. Also, a lot of resistance has been removed from the PSU to improve low load efficiency for ErP, Energy Star, etc. and this held charge may be a by product of that. IIRC, the AX1200i is ErP2010 complaint, but not ErP2013.

Edited by jonnyguru

• Corsair Employee
I know exactly what the problem is, it's a BAD power supply !!!! so please stop all this nonsense and replace the defective power supply already!!!

his old power supply was not doing this so DUH

I know that over simplifying things in life can help one sleep better at the end of the day, but his old power supply is completely different than his new one.

What are you and maddness going to post if he does an RMA and the replacement does the exact same thing?

Since he just got the PSU, it may not cost anything to do an RMA throgh the retailer, but if the replacement does the same thing, we're back at square one and the OP suffers unnecessary down time.

Edited by jonnyguru
  • Like 1

I know that over simplifying things in life can help one sleep better at the end of the day, but his old power supply is completely different than his new one.

What are you and maddness going to post if he does an RMA and the replacement does the exact same thing?

Since he just got the PSU, it may not cost anything to do an RMA throgh the retailer, but if the replacement does the same thing, we're back at square one and the OP suffers unnecessary down time.

I am not trying to simplify this, I am just saying it's a bad psu. I am a auto and truck diagnostics tech for 30 years now with 10 of those years performing auto and truck computer programing and diagnostics, and, the first step in troubleshooting a problem is to remove the part you installed when the problem started. this saves time and money. in my job I am graded on how efficiently I use the time I am allowed to figure out what is wrong with a car or truck I am performing the diagnostics on and this thread is wasting lots of time. I have to follow a labor guide and if it say's the diagnostics I am performing at the current time is to take me no longer then 6 hours then I must do it in 6 hours or less, every month my efficiency is totaled up and I am always 120% or higher in my efficiency.

bottom line is good customer service you should just say lets try another psu.

so stop wasting the customers time.

Edited by jlhawn

• Corsair Employee

Nobody's saying he can't get an RMA. If all he wanted was an RMA, he would have gotten one by now. He posted in another forum (at least two that I know of) asking why the PSU was doing this, knowing that the people in those forums can't give him an RMA. People don't come to this forum for an RMA. They contact support. They come to this forum for answers. He has a PSU that's acting differently than the one he had before, but it's a completely different PSU and we're trying to figure out why. So if he does get an RMA and it does the same thing, we all know why.

He's more than welcome to try another PSU. And you can talk about efficiency all you want. I don't have to respond to posts in this forum. It's actually not my job. But I want to be hepful. And if I tell him to RMA for another RM1000 and the replacement does the same thing, that's not very helpful to him... or anyone else that comes along that has the same problem for the same reason.

An RMA is the very last option for me as I require the use of the PC every day for work and so I'd probably have to buy a replacement first unfortunately, unless turnaround was a day or two but I don't see how that would be possible.

Jonnyguru, let me know how you get on with your testing. I've done a bit of googling and found that some people aren't too keen on the RM series because of the fact that Corsair has gone with using 'cheaper' capacitors. Is it possible that the capacitors on my PSU are actually faulty and from your experience, is there any chance that the PSU can damage any of my other components because that is something I simply cannot risk.

All the while, my PC continues to run fine and play games fine...

:confused:

My only concern is, what if I get another RM1000 and I have the same issue.

Remember, had these fans not been led I wouldn't have even known there was an issue as everything else shuts down normally and the fans stop spinning. We know it's the PSU as that's the only thing that's been changed, but is it a fault. The only way I'd know for sure is by purchasing another RM1000 and simply swapping them, I could leave all my cables as they are, but they are £140+.

Thanks for offering to lend the 1200 but I'd have to take the system apart as I've had all the cables routed out of sight. If anyone has a working RM1000 from the Manchester area, I'd be happy to borrow that as I'd just need to take out the actual unit with it being fully modular. Anyone? :p

My only concern is, what if I get another RM1000 and I have the same issue.

Just to re-literate what's going on in this thread. A few thing that is known here is that due to the energy stored in your CWT-build RM1000 after being unplugged is causing your fans to behave differently from your OCZ 700w (depending on which one it is either FSP or Highpower build) and the Flextronic build digital AX1200i. All of which are based on a different internal design and compliant to a different ErP standard.

In order to ensure that this isn't "normal" behavior of this specific unit and not an isolated incident, they are testing it. They can't test the OCZ for obvious reason, but they did found out that Corsair sample of the RM1000 is still holding charge (just like yours) while the AX1200i does not (just like Azh). This immediately shows this behavior can be affecting specifically the RM1000 and the possibly of this happening again has increased. Had you RMA it, you would have been subject to a shipping fee and a few days/week downtime when nothing had change in the end.

Recent events had shown someone RMA his AX650 because his spare Antec worked with his computer only to received an unit that had the same issue. The unit wasn't faulty, as it power another system just fine.

Thanks for offering to lend the 1200 but I'd have to take the system apart as I've had all the cables routed out of sight. If anyone has a working RM1000 from the Manchester area, I'd be happy to borrow that as I'd just need to take out the actual unit with it being fully modular. Anyone? :p

Or would any RM series work if I simply swapped the unit and left the cables?

Regarding the compatibility of the cables, the AXi and RM series as a whole should be interchangeably with on another, as it conforms to Corsair's Type-3 pinouts including 24-pin (only the non-i AX760/860 has a different 24-pin). This allows their sleeved cables kit to compatible with various of series of different OEMs and platforms.

As stated above, him lending you the AX1200i won't change much, as it had already been verified that Corsair sample does not hold a charge. The RM750-850 is made by a different manufacturer (Chicony Hipro) and based on a different internal platform/design, while the RM450-650 is also build by CWT and which I believe they are based on a modified version of the same platform as the 1000w. The lower wattage units might work to see if your issues happen, but due to the smaller capacity, it also uses lower rated, less components than the RM1000, so that also isn't a guarantee.

If you don't want to do an RMA, you either need to wait for Jonnyguru findings or find someone who is willing to let you borrow his. In the meanwhile, if you are concern with this problem being hazardous for your components, you could used used your OCZ PSUs in the meantime (no need to rework the cables completely, as it is only going to be in there for a short period of time). Otherwise, you need to take the risk and RMA it. Of course, the obvious choice can be get an entirely new PSU altogether.

Whatever you do, I hope it all goes well in the end.

Edited by LazyBoyQuan
  • Like 1

• Corsair Employee

So the PSU here held a charge for quite a while, but that was with no load at all. I can't get those fans here in the states and I hesitate to use a different LED fan because the efficiency of the LEDs can differ. Any load I put on the PSU drains the test PSU almost immediately. If the behavior you're seeing is normal, then clearly the LEDs used in the Aerocool fans are quite unique as they're operating at a very low voltage (assuming the voltage on you +12V is as low as mine.... which we can't determine until you get your hands on a DMM).

The other thought was that the primary cap was somehow charging the secondary caps while the PSU is off, which shouldn't happen. So if that was happening, it would certainly be a defective PSU. But the PSU would have failed hi-pot at the factory and multiple failures would have to take place within the PSU (problem with PS ON lead and Power Good signal, bad solder, etc. all at the same time) which isn't impossible, but the odds of having so many failures happen all at the same time in such a way to where the LEDs of the fans staying on is the only symptom. Bizarre at best.

At this juncture, I'm stuck. We know the caps hold a low voltage charge, but I can't get those fans to test to see how long they can stay lit. You don't have a DMM to see what the voltage output is after your PSU is off. If the primary side caps are bleeding power over to the secondary side, we could have a potential PSU fault, but again without a DMM we just don't know. As LazyBoyQuan pointed out, the cables are interchangeable with all current, fully modular PSUs, so you can do a swap without pulling all of your cables. So worst case scenario, try to get an advanced replacement, and just swap out the PSU itself. But if you do that, definitely send me a PM with your RMA #, etc. so I can see about getting the unit back here so I can test the +12V with a DMM and see if the PSU fails hi-pot, etc.

Heck... in fact, if you run into any resistance getting an advanced RMA, drop me a line because I really want to see this PSU in person to find out if what you're running into is normal or a failure that I'd be willing to push an RMA through for you just to make sure the unit makes its way back to the U.S.

It's a bit difficult for me to get hold of another PSU however, I did get hold of another led fan today. First up lets see if it works, plugged directly into motherboard and...

http://oi62.tinypic.com/2ly23cn.jpg

Yep it works.

Now, shutdown PC, leave it a minute and put the switch off at the back...

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2d6w61i.jpg

Looks like it has gone off? On closer inspection...

http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ymf1g8.jpg

The leds are still on, although with this brand of fan is it much harder to see. If these were in my case I wouldn't have even known they were on.

My fans are a bit more obvious though, here is the front of my tower when PC is off and PSU is switched off at the back even after 17 hours...

http://oi58.tinypic.com/33vffwo.jpg

Sorry about the low quality pics (taken with phone).

So many people these days have case fans with leds, if their lights were staying on after the PC shutdown and it was normal, loads more would have encountered this right? The fact that everyone is just as stumped as me indicates this isn't 'normal' behaviour even though my PC has been running fine with this PSU?

Ok.. So now that you've duplicated it with a Bit Fenix fan as well (albeit not as bright), I'm just going to grab a handful of LED fans and see what I come across.

I'll report back soon!

Cheers mate :) I have to confess I didn't leave this new fan in for long but before I go bed shortly I'll plug it into the motherboard again, switch off the PSU and even unplug it and then check back in the morning to see if it also remains lit.

• Like 1

• Corsair Employee
You should. Like I said before, here I'm getting 0.4V on the +12V after the PSU is off. Wasn't sure that was enough to keep an LED lit and I don't know if your voltage is actually higher, but without a DMM we'll never know. But if I can get an LED to light up with only 0.4V and stay lit up, then we're on to something.
  • Like 1

Cheers mate :) I have to confess I didn't leave this new fan in for long but before I go bed shortly I'll plug it into the motherboard again, switch off the PSU and even unplug it and then check back in the morning to see if it also remains lit.

I for one would like to thank you for your patience in this. We'll take good care of you. ::pirate::

Just checked and the led light on the new fan (which was plugged directly into the motherboard) was still on this morning - the PSU was switched off and unplugged at the back.

The six case fans which are all plugged into the fan controller were also still on as expected.

Yellowbeard - these things happen, I've been building computers for quite a while plus as I mentioned, my PC is still working. I appreciate all the help I'm getting via this forum, I think for a company such as Corsair to even have a public forum like this really speaks volumes. I can list a few that wouldn't in a million years...

• Like 1

• Corsair Employee
I haven't checked on mine yet. After my last post, I went home and chugged a bunch of beers to forget about the forum trolls. I'll let you know what I find out once I get back on track this morning. :D:
  • Like 1

Yes... it's finally going somewhere by..... going down the same path we've been going down all along?!? :stickpoke

you should find another position within Corsair because your customer service skills really stink. you just seem to want to piss off people and really you just don't care if they stay a Corsair customer do you??

you should find another position within Corsair because your customer service skills really stink. you just seem to want to piss off people and really you just don't care if they stay a Corsair customer do you??

the little smiley on the end of jonniguru post meant he was just pokin fun.

i dont understand why people cant accept light humor,differences of opinions and most of all,realize were human on the other end,

and no this by far is not directed solely at you but the members here as a whole...

Of course he cares, that's why he and the rest of the staff work very hard to provide top notch customer service. What none of us appreciate is the fact that 1 particular person went of out of their way to troll this thread which has been a detriment to providing that service to the customer with the issue.

Customers and enthusiasts are welcome here. Trolls, people that are abusive to others, and people that try to make trouble are not welcome here.

• Corsair Employee

Also considering the only contribution this particular user has provided in this entire forum has been to troll me in this thread.

Look... customer service isn't my "position". I help out here because I want to and I feel I can contribute since I've been into PSUs for about... 12 years or so? So if I'm going to get trolled for doing so, I feel within my right to "poke back" or all of the fun is going to get sucked out of it. ;):

:stickpoke

I do like the stick poke.

Edited by jonnyguru