Corsair Community

Hey guys, I sent an email to Rockitcool's support, but haven't heard back and thought the community here might be able to help me out.

I have delidded my CPU and have a direct die frame from Rockitcool.

They have quite a few videos and easy explanations of the process of using their tools, And they have a Corsair AIO Video which shows they have to shim it a bit for it to fit, and an EKWB Mounting video for Direct Die Frame that shows a different way of shimming the cooler.

I believe our XC7 should be about the same kind of setup as an EKWB as far as height but wasn't sure since the Corsair WB is multifunctional and can be mounted to an AM4 socket with a bracket change, whereas the EK seems to be socket specific.

Can anyone help me please determine if and potentially how much I need to shim the XC7 when going direct die?

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57IZUdW4xh0]Corsair AIO Video[/ame]

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KcFrvOZfcE]EKWB[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Apologies for late reply.

I would not recommend to go with direct die mounting method.

There is a very high chance that the water block will sit on one of components around CPU socket making a bad or no contact and potentially ruin your CPU.

• 1 year later...

Came across this in a Google search, so thought I'd post my experience here.

Intel 10900K with the Rockitcool Direct Die frame works perfectly with the XC7 v2 with no modifications or shimming. No clearance issues with any motherboard components on the Gigabyte Z490 Master, although it is pretty darn close.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

Thanks for sharing your first-hand experience! This might be a valuable confirmation for other enthusiasts seeking to go with a direct die mounting.

A note for anyone that might want to try based on your confirmation. This information is based on XC7 RGB CPU Water Block (1200/AM4) and LGA 1200 motherboards with capacitor placement and capacitor height as on Gigabyte Z490 Master. Capacitors around the CPU socket are placed on or outside of the square that is defined by the CPU cooler mounting holes around the CPU socket.