The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2018, 04:48 PM
JayJ93's PC Specs

POST ID # = 965865
JayJ93 Reputation: 10
Default Buzzing sound coming from RM1000i

Hello, my first post here, hopefully somebody will be able to assist however I am doubtful this is an issue that I am able to resolve.

Some background; last year I purchased the RM1000i PSU to run my setup which worked well for a number of months until it failed. The failure resulted in the computer shutting off and knocking out my upstairs power. After a few test I concluded the PSU was faulty and sent it back for RMA.

I received what appeared to be a brand new one back and it looked pretty pristine so I have no reason to believe it is anything but a new unit however when I plugged it in I noticed it was making a buzzing sound. After a few tests I found it was getting much louder whenever the CPU was under a higher load, presumably because of more power draw, but I could not find a way to stop it. A few hours later I decided to remove the PSU as it was hard to use the PC with the buzzing. To confirm, it is 100% the PSU, the noise stops if I put a different PSU in.

I get that some hardware makes noises but given that this was quite expensive and a replacement for one that failed it annoyed me a little so I put it in a box and left it. Now I want to see if it can be fixed. Is this a known issue with the PSU/is there a way to fix it or does it need to be sent back again?

Old 07-28-2018, 10:12 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 966011
Corsair StormShadow Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJ93 View Post
Hello, my first post here, hopefully somebody will be able to assist however I am doubtful this is an issue that I am able to resolve.

Some background; last year I purchased the RM1000i PSU to run my setup which worked well for a number of months until it failed. The failure resulted in the computer shutting off and knocking out my upstairs power. After a few test I concluded the PSU was faulty and sent it back for RMA.

I received what appeared to be a brand new one back and it looked pretty pristine so I have no reason to believe it is anything but a new unit however when I plugged it in I noticed it was making a buzzing sound. After a few tests I found it was getting much louder whenever the CPU was under a higher load, presumably because of more power draw, but I could not find a way to stop it. A few hours later I decided to remove the PSU as it was hard to use the PC with the buzzing. To confirm, it is 100% the PSU, the noise stops if I put a different PSU in.

I get that some hardware makes noises but given that this was quite expensive and a replacement for one that failed it annoyed me a little so I put it in a box and left it. Now I want to see if it can be fixed. Is this a known issue with the PSU/is there a way to fix it or does it need to be sent back again?
This sounds like coil whine. You probably got a dud, create a support ticket with us and get the unit replaced.