The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Audio

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 02:11 PM
chrischoi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 581469
chrischoi Reputation: 10
Default Should I order a Vengeance 1500 or 2000?

I like both.
I just don't want my Logitech G330 anymore. Should I save $50 and get the 1500? Big benefits? Wireless?

Thanks.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:04 AM

POST ID # = 581631
jmacguire Reputation: 10

The Vengeance 2000 has much better bass response than the Vengeance 1500. Bass is not everything, but it really took some work to get any sort of "hit" or impact from the 1500. With the Vengeance 2000, just adjust the bass and you are done. It's good bass too, not flabby distorted bass you might hear from a device that simply cannot reproduce bass well.

The moral of my post? Much much more balanced sound signature.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:50 AM
chrischoi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 581635
chrischoi Reputation: 10

So you're leaning heavily towards the 2000.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Foolish Mortal's PC Specs

POST ID # = 581735
Foolish Mortal Reputation: 10

Here is my advice having owned the 1300, 1500 and 2000.

The 1300 NEEDS an amped sound card. Without a boost it is miserably weak. I have a 7.1 THX onboard sound card and it couldn't do anything to make the 1300s sound decent.

I have owned 4 sets of the 1500s. The first 3 were all defective. One had a garbled/muffled mic and 2 had horrible buzzing and crackling with any low end boosting in the EQ. My 4th set still has a buzzing with any significant bass reproduction, but hey, these are 80 headphones (not audiophile quality) so I gave up on returning them. The 1500s don't handle bass well at all in my opinion.

The 2000s are nice, but there is a HORRIBLE deal breaker that made them unusable for me. Where the 1500s have actual 7.1 options and can present a decent surround soundstage, the 2000s have BAD surround. With the 2000s you click a single button to turn the surround on/off and all it does is make everything echo and sound like it's in a bathroom.

WARNING ABOUT 2000s
This toilet echo surround sound is junk. It makes everything sound hollow and echoing. That means that character voices in game and dialogue are distorted into a tinny echo. Do you chat? Your friends will all sound like they are sitting in a bathtub. It sounds awful. Now, you could just turn off surround but then why buy a 7.1 surround headset?

If the 2000s had the software of the 1500s they might be okay, but as is, they do not produce quality surround effects without distorting in game voices and chat with your friends. Also, the 2000s are less comfortable than the 1500s, but that's pretty subjective.

At my local store the 1500s are $80 and the 2000s are $150. There is NO WAY the 2000s are worth almost 2x the price of the 1500s. It's a really poor value for what you get. If you're money bags McGee, and don't care about price, Corsair doesn't have the headset your looking for anyway.

Consider the Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma/Wrath/Omega for 50mm driver gaming headsets along with these. They have similar price points, better bass and can produce simulated surround without butchering voices and dialogue like the 2000s.

I own Corsair RAM, PSU, CPU Cooler and case. I like their products but the Vengeance series Mice/Keyboard/Headsets are lacking in the software department. I look forward to improved drivers down the line.

Last edited by Foolish Mortal; 05-31-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
ImmortalRevenge's PC Specs

POST ID # = 582441
ImmortalRevenge Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish Mortal View Post
Here is my advice having owned the 1300, 1500 and 2000.

The 1300 NEEDS an amped sound card. Without a boost it is miserably weak. I have a 7.1 THX onboard sound card and it couldn't do anything to make the 1300s sound decent.

I have owned 4 sets of the 1500s. The first 3 were all defective. One had a garbled/muffled mic and 2 had horrible buzzing and crackling with any low end boosting in the EQ. My 4th set still has a buzzing with any significant bass reproduction, but hey, these are 80 headphones (not audiophile quality) so I gave up on returning them. The 1500s don't handle bass well at all in my opinion.

The 2000s are nice, but there is a HORRIBLE deal breaker that made them unusable for me. Where the 1500s have actual 7.1 options and can present a decent surround soundstage, the 2000s have BAD surround. With the 2000s you click a single button to turn the surround on/off and all it does is make everything echo and sound like it's in a bathroom.

WARNING ABOUT 2000s
This toilet echo surround sound is junk. It makes everything sound hollow and echoing. That means that character voices in game and dialogue are distorted into a tinny echo. Do you chat? Your friends will all sound like they are sitting in a bathtub. It sounds awful. Now, you could just turn off surround but then why buy a 7.1 surround headset?

If the 2000s had the software of the 1500s they might be okay, but as is, they do not produce quality surround effects without distorting in game voices and chat with your friends. Also, the 2000s are less comfortable than the 1500s, but that's pretty subjective.

At my local store the 1500s are $80 and the 2000s are $150. There is NO WAY the 2000s are worth almost 2x the price of the 1500s. It's a really poor value for what you get. If you're money bags McGee, and don't care about price, Corsair doesn't have the headset your looking for anyway.

Consider the Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Sigma/Wrath/Omega for 50mm driver gaming headsets along with these. They have similar price points, better bass and can produce simulated surround without butchering voices and dialogue like the 2000s.

I own Corsair RAM, PSU, CPU Cooler and case. I like their products but the Vengeance series Mice/Keyboard/Headsets are lacking in the software department. I look forward to improved drivers down the line.
I second this opinion. Never had anything but the v2k, but the sound quality is EXCELLENT, the surround is pretty meh. You get used to it though. It's like they tried to make it sound exactly like a surround sound system in a big room like my living room. There's an echo effect, but its the exact same echo like sound of my 5.1 surround sound system in my living room.

The EQ presets are perfect imo, I tried changing them at first and just got frustrated, then I actually tried listening to them as they were preset and it sounds wonderful.

The drivers/software on the v2k are junk though compared to the 1500. They removed the balance control, the custom 7.1 positioning, the option to switch between dolby 5.1 and full 7.1. You basically get stereo, 7.1 with 3 room sizes, and an EQ. That's it.

Edit: Also, since I don't think anyone has addressed this yet. The mic. It's amazing. Friend said when he first heard me it was so clear and perfect that he though I had snuck a new sound card into his system when he wasn't looking, lol. This shouldn't really make much of a difference though, since I believe the 1500 has the same mic.

Edit2: I feel like I should also mention that I've been having range problems with my v2k, though that might just be my set. See here for details.

Last edited by ImmortalRevenge; 06-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.