Corsair Community

MP510 Phison Upgrade to 12.3

Yemble

OK, here's the thread (in German), suggest using Google Translate if German is not your strong point!

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/f227/ssd-kaufberatung-informationsthread-diskussion-bitte-lesen-666902-695.html

And here are the download links (from forum post #17371): https://www.file-upload.net/download-13645439/firmware12.3.zip.html or alternatively: https://www.overclock.net/forum/355-ssd/1727548-what-good-value-ssds-2019-1tb-phison-e12-toshiba.html

Not tried it myself yet, but this is an official Phison E12 NVMe Windows updater, dated May 13th 2019. Note that it does not see the MP510 drives if they are in a RAID config., but that is no real surprise. Forum post #17375 confirms that it works with MP510 drives and that the data is preserved when upgrading from v12.1 or v12.2. Data will be wiped for v11.*.

*** EDIT ***

Now that I've had time to try it for myself, I am pleased to announce that you can upgrade a pair of MP510 drives in a RAID0 set WITHOUT losing any data! The caveat is that you need a non-RAID drive to boot Windows from. On my Aorus Master mobo, I have three NVMe drives, two of which are MP510 drives in RAID0, the other is a 970 EVO for the Windows 10 OS. The trick is to disable RST (RAID) in the BIOS and set all RAID drives to AHCI. Boot into Windows then run the F/W upgrade utility without attempting any other disk access. The utility should now see both MP510 drives and you can either update them both, or one at a time, as I did. The upgrade takes seconds and applies on the next boot (power-cycle required). It seems foolproof to me.

When you have finished upgrading the drive(s), go back into the BIOS and re-enable RAID on the relevant drives. Reboot Windows and all of your RAID drives should re-appear with their data intact.

Job done !

PS. I also successfully updated a SiliconPower A80 1Tb drive F/W to 12.3 with the same tool.

Edited by Yemble

• 2 weeks later...
please, has anyone older firmware 12.1 and 12.2? Please send me link. Thank you.

Phison E12.1 firmware can be downloaded from: https://mydigitalssd.com/pcie-m2-ngff-ssd.php#80mm-bpx-pro-m2 Note that the correct drive is: MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro 80mm (2280-S3-M) M.2 PCIe 3.1 x4 NVMe SSD. These MyDigitalSSD drives have exactly the same configuration as the Corsair MP510 drives, ie. 960Gb rather than 1Tb, for example.

Not sure why you would want to downgrade though, or indeed, whether that is actually possible !

*** EDIT ***

I downloaded and unpacked this myself to check it out. It actually looks like an earlier version of the same software that I posted above, to upgrade to 12.3, except that it is branded as BPX Pro, rather than Phison. I'm pretty sure that this will wipe the contents of the drive, although it might actually support a FW downgrade. The parameter it displays is "Reinitial", suggesting to me that it will re-format. Note that I am NOT prepared to try this myself. You can experiment with your own drive, at your own risk.

Edited by Yemble

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My MP510 SSD came with the firmware ECFM22.5 out of the box. I used the latest version of the Corsair SSD Toolbox and CrystalDisk SSD to get this information. According to threads in this forum, this firmware doesn't officialy exist and the latest should be 12.3.

I tried to downgrade to 12.3 with the tutorials in this thread, but it didn't work. I also made a clean installation of Windows 10 (1903) on this SSD, but nothing changed.

Any hint?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Would be interesting to see what the performance difference between the newer firmware vs the older ones. Can you confirm that the MP510 and Inland with newer firmware is still using the same controller and memory chips?

My MP510 SSD came with the firmware ECFM22.5 out of the box. I used the latest version of the Corsair SSD Toolbox and CrystalDisk SSD to get this information. According to threads in this forum, this firmware doesn't officialy exist and the latest should be 12.3.

I tried to downgrade to 12.3 with the tutorials in this thread, but it didn't work. I also made a clean installation of Windows 10 (1903) on this SSD, but nothing changed.

Any hint?

My new Inland Premium 2TB drives came with ECFM22.4. There does seem to be newer firmware.