Corsair Community

Questions about fan RGB/RPM control (680X, H115i)

terrable

Hello! I'm a long time Corsair fan/customer but recent forum member.

I recently purchased 680x and H115i as well as 3 additional 140mm fans. They're in transit.

I've read Zotty's very helpful thread and as well as this thread but I was still confused and had some questions.

Obviously the case comes with 3 fans in front, H115i has 2 fans (mounting top exhaust), and I'll be installing other 3 fans in bottom (intake), and rear (exhaust). As I understand, the case comes with "Corsair Lighting Node Pro" and "Corsair RGB Fan LED Hub" included. I also got an additional "Lighting Node Pro" for buying a 2-pack of additional fans.

So since I'm looking to use 8 fans total but there only seems to be 6 RGB slots, few questions about this setup:

1) Does H115i have its own RGB/RPM control? If so it would solve my issue.

2) Does 680x out of the box allow me to control RPM of fans or do I need to purchase a Commander Pro?

3) If needed by above question, how do I use Commander Pro to control 8 fans when there are only 6 slots?

Basically the big question is: How would I go about using 8 fans with RGB/RPM control with as little additional hardware as possible?

Thank you for taking a look and helping in advance.

Hi buddy..

1, Which H115i? if its a Platinum cooler.. yes it controls its fans RGB/RPM

2, no with that case you would need a commander pro to control fan speeds in iCUE. the Node Pro will only control RGB

3, depends on the cooler used.. again. if its the platinum you wont have to worry about connections as the cooler is self contained... it controls its own fans speeds and RGB

Edited by Zotty

The Platinum has both its own fan power/control splitter and RGB lighting splitter. That reduces the Commander Pro load to 6, although there are other possible solutions. Without the C-Pro you will need motherboard power for the 6 plus a LNP and RGB lighting hub for the 6 RGB fans.

The Platinum has both its own fan power/control splitter and RGB lighting splitter. That reduces the Commander Pro load to 6, although there are other possible solutions. Without the C-Pro you will need motherboard power for the 6 plus a LNP and RGB lighting hub for the 6 RGB fans.

Can confirm c-attacks advice.

in layman's terms.. just need the one Commander Pro dude. the H115i Platinum will control its 2 fans for both RGB and RPM, leaving the 6 to be controlled by the 'CoPro'...

Edited by Zotty

• 2 months later...
I’m doing a similar build. How much exhaust is needed? Can a single 140 in the rear handle it if the bottom 280, front 360 and top 115i are all set to intake?

3 radiators front/bottom/top? You won’t be able to use 280s in a 680x/740Air for that. They will have to be 240mm to have any room to run tubes. Or sacrifice the rear fan entirely for the same purpose.

3 radiators front/bottom/top? You won’t be able to use 280s in a 680x/740Air for that. They will have to be 240mm to have any room to run tubes. Or sacrifice the rear fan entirely for the same purpose.

Not 3 radiators, 360 fans up front, 280 fans below, 140 fan rear, and one 280 radiator (115i plat) on top

It's better to denote that as 3x120 and 2x140 to signify fans vs the radiator sizes 280/360.

However, I can't think of a good reason not to use the 280mm AIO top as exhaust. You aren't going to gain much in terms of cooling because of the location above the VRM on the MB will keep it 1-3C warmer than elsewhere. Because of the design, you are essentially dumping front intake air directly into the top radiator. There is minimal heat pick up. This case is also most effective in terms of performance with front/bottom intake, top/rear exhaust.

It's better to denote that as 3x120 and 2x140 to signify fans vs the radiator sizes 280/360.

However, I can't think of a good reason not to use the 280mm AIO top as exhaust. You aren't going to gain much in terms of cooling because of the location above the VRM on the MB will keep it 1-3C warmer than elsewhere. Because of the design, you are essentially dumping front intake air directly into the top radiator. There is minimal heat pick up. This case is also most effective in terms of performance with front/bottom intake, top/rear exhaust.

Thanks...I appreciate the correction with using the correct terminology.

Well, I thought with the fans on the radiator drawing cool air in, it would keep the hot air away, rather than exhaust hot air across the radiator that is supposedly cooling the cpu. Where am I going wrong with my logic?

The air above the top of the case isn’t always that cool and the environment the radiator resides in is equally important. I’ve run this case in every configuration possible, but fortunately this is not a build centric decision. You can set the case up anyway you want and if you’re curious, flip the fans around and compare.

The air above the top of the case isn’t always that cool and the environment the radiator resides in is equally important. I’ve run this case in every configuration possible, but fortunately this is not a build centric decision. You can set the case up anyway you want and if you’re curious, flip the fans around and compare.

Many thanks for the help!