The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2019, 07:04 PM
Pitufo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020378
Pitufo Reputation: 10
Default You CAN mix fan types on a fan hub. I did it.

SO... I kind of lucked out... I didn't know you weren't supposed to mix fan types but I did anyways. I have 2 ML140 RGB fans on the top of my case. I put a LL120 on the back as exhaust and turns out ICUE will recognize all the lights if it thinks there are 6 ML fans total. Cause 4 X 6 is 24 lights. Then today I added a second LL120 on the front and changed the software to 4 HD fans for 4 X 12 = 40 lights. Works brilliantly. I just use Rainbow Channel on slow and it cascades around from top to back to front. And I've set up 2 "panels" offset on each of the top ML's to display GPU temperature. I think it looks like stained glass.
Old 10-05-2019, 07:44 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020381
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

You can mix HD/LL/ML fan types. The program counts LEDs, so it is a little math game. (I’ll leave 4x12=40 alone). It usually works out better if you put the odd fans at the end of the chain, but it also depends on your intended lighting. Whole fan effects usually work better than sequenced.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:54 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020386
DevBiker Reputation: 88

Yes, you can. It's just not supported and not something you can configure directly in the software (iCUE). It's been discussed occasionally here on the forum but we typically discourage it because it's not directly supported and explaining it to someone new to the RGB world can be ... difficult.

There's all kinds of crazy things that you can do. I won't even get started on some of the crazy things that I've done. ;)

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Pitufo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020481
Pitufo Reputation: 10

Haha ya 48 oops. So my 40 light setup actually works best if i set the 4 fans to 4 RGB strips.

Last edited by Pitufo; 10-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:41 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020495
Zotty Reputation: 52

others should be warned that while you can get away with mixing certain fans..never EVER throw the SP RGB fans into this type of mod. that is 100% a no go... as DevBiker said,,, HD/LL/ML only
Old 10-07-2019, 08:52 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1020542
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitufo View Post
Haha ya 48 oops. So my 40 light setup actually works best if i set the 4 fans to 4 RGB strips.
That depends on what you are trying to do. The math does not have to be perfect, but it is better to tell it too many LEDs vs too few.

When you set it to strips, it makes the LED activity strictly linear along the path. You won't get whole fan effects, but it also can make things easier if you desire a sequenced effect. On the other hand, setting HD x 4 fans (12 LEDs x 4) will give you your 48, but it likely won't give you the effects display you want. There are some strange differences between fans, both visible in iCUE (the lighting effect choices) and invisible (LL and HD fans have a different LED #1 and center hub does not exist on the HD putting the balance off). You may get the best results for now doing LL x 4. The lighting will flash across the top really fast and may cause the rear to strange things, if that is the order. The other thing you can try is changing your order so the ML are last. Then then it does not put off the other effects.