Corsair Community

ML140 RGB clicking noise @ low rpm?

cars10

Hello,

i have the standard grey ML 140 fans and they are absolutely awful at low RPMs. Very evident and annoying spinning/clicking noise in an otherwise silent system. So disappointing considering 4 of them cost me over a hundred euros.

I also have the SP 120 RGB fans (not ML) and they are great.

Was wondering if the new ML140 RGB have this same problem. Does anyone have them and can test them at lowest possible RPMs?

Thank you very much

If your ML fans are clicking and ticking, something is wrong. They are some of the quietest fans I own (out of of hundreds), particularly when inverted. Check the basics, no wires getting nicked. Make sure you have your fan control set to PWM. Undercutting the voltage on DC probably would make them tick.

If you can't find anything, you are going to need to take them off and run them one by one to figure out who is guilty and then file a warranty claim. This is not a common complaint at all, but defects do happen.

The ML-RGB is identical to the ML-Quiet (grey) you have in every way, except the obvious 4 center mounted LEDs.

This is not a common complaint at all, but defects do happen

funny, that's exactly what you said over here :biggrin:: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=164019

Thank you for your input, though.

I have been using them in DC mode as my BIOS does not support a full fan stop in PWM mode (I rarely need active cooling and prefer full silence when available). Wires are certainly not getting nicked, esp since the ticking noise stops at higher RPMs.

I will play with them a bit more to make sure

funny, that's exactly what you said over here :biggrin:: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=164019

Thank you for your input, though.

I have been using them in DC mode as my BIOS does not support a full fan stop in PWM mode (I rarely need active cooling and prefer full silence when available). Wires are certainly not getting nicked, esp since the ticking noise stops at higher RPMs.

I will play with them a bit more to make sure

That's your problem. When they don't get the full 12V supplied by PWM mode, the magnetic levitation doesn't work properly. They *must* be on PWM mode. You may also damage the fan.

As above... Don't run those in DC mode. You are going to ruin them. You are hearing the bearing grinding down on the hub because you have cut the voltage below the level necessary to maintain the magnetic levitation part of bearing. At sub 9-10v, you essentially have no bearing. Those things should run as low as 400 rpm in PWM mode and it's hard to imagine that creates an intrusive noise.

I don't really like zero fan modes. When you get rid of fan noise, you may not like what you find underneath. Regardless, if that was your intent, you picked the wrong fan to try and force into DC mode.

That's your problem. When they don't get the full 12V supplied by PWM mode, the magnetic levitation doesn't work properly. They *must* be on PWM mode. You may also damage the fan.

well, i've tested them in PWM mode now too using the corsair commander pro, and I even went ahead and bought the ML 140 Pro RGB too because they were on sale.

unfortunately, ALL of them produce an annoying clicking noise after about 500 RPM, getting louder per 100 RPM and then slowly being drowned out by the air speed after 1000 rpm.

what an utter disappointment. these fans are terrible for silent PCs. but they sure are beautiful

As above... Don't run those in DC mode. You are going to ruin them. You are hearing the bearing grinding down on the hub because you have cut the voltage below the level necessary to maintain the magnetic levitation part of bearing. At sub 9-10v, you essentially have no bearing. Those things should run as low as 400 rpm in PWM mode and it's hard to imagine that creates an intrusive noise.

I don't really like zero fan modes. When you get rid of fan noise, you may not like what you find underneath. Regardless, if that was your intent, you picked the wrong fan to try and force into DC mode.

no. i did not ruin them. the noise is on the brand new RGB ones too. its the motor that clicks very audibly.

You will ruin the bearing by continually running them at less than full voltage. However, whatever your issue is, you may need to consider it is perceptual. Extremely few people show up hear complaining about noise from these fans. The odds of you ordering multiple different packages and all of them exhibiting the same rare defect are beyond absurd. So either you have some extremely lofty expectations from a electro-mechanical device, or more likely there is some kind of systemic error applied to them all. I would suggest stringing one out the back from the Commander Pro and running it in free air. You would not be the first person to screw a fan down too tight.

. You would not be the first person to screw a fan down too tight.

Solid advice. I will give that a shot.

Concerning my expectations: I can only assume that people don't run these fans at very low RPMs like I do. I don't think I'm that picky, but I will get some second opinions

Edit: I am certainly not the only one who thinks so: [ame]

[/ame]

Just shows that any idiot can post on YouTube and people think he's an authority. The "rattling" in this video shows exactly what c-attack talked about ... the ML fans do rattle when you lower the voltage.

Count the number of wires going to that fan. How many are there? That would be three. And he uses the exact same device to control the speed of the SP-Quiet edition fan, which is totally a DC-powered fan. The SP-High Performance fans are PWM fans but may be controlled with DC control (though not ideal).

He also only tests the fans in vertical placement. The biggest issue with the SP fans is when they are inverted horizontally; you'll get a very distinct and unpleasant hum out of them, especially at top speeds. The sound like a bloody 737 taking off.

For the record ... I do run ML (120, 140 and RGB) fans at low RPM. No rattling.

Yeah, I could spend an hour tearing that video down, but there isn't a point. I don't care what that guys thinks and we need to sort of how you feel about the fans, not him. And while I really do enjoy talking both fans and headphones to extreme depths, I am not quite ready to bind two fans to a strap and wear it on my head. The noise a fan makes when it is 3cm from your ear is not relevant, unless of course you are wearing them. Sound is a little more complicated than simple loudness detection. If they are loud mounted in the case and in numbers, that is one thing. Putting your ear against it is only useful to try and determine if it's the same noise you are hearing at a higher amplitude.

Go back to the original thread you highlighted earlier in this conversation. It spans about 18 months in time and encompasses several other people, all of whom have different issues with the fans. However, that is what makes it useful.

1) I know I am sensitive and the case is very close. That's fine. You might be the 1 in a 1000 person who is really sensitive to sounds. I really do understand. I had a little 24 dB pump that was supposed to be inaudible. It drove me absolutely nuts and sometimes literally up the wall. Three pumps later, same thing. $800 to get rid of it and go with an alternative plan. Still not sure it was worth it, but that is always the choice you get to make.

2) All fans are loud and terrible . Seems to have found happiness with a strange, round brown fan. Something for everybody...

3) 1 fan of 9 is noisy. Might actually be defective, but one is different from the others.

If you don't like them, that's fine. But it would be helpful to determine if there is some kind of systematic error being applied, you hate the PWM pulsing, or perhaps you are hearing the magnetic levitation part of the fan and it strikes you the wrong way. With that knowledge you can make a better choice about what you need.

I assume you have an extremely quiet environment. Having been down that rabbit hole before, recognize that something has to be the loudest thing in the room. I don't know what else is in your system, but if you are successful in eliminating all fan noise, you will be left with what's underneath. If that is HDD clicks and pump buzz, you are going to be really disappointed. Most fans at low levels provide a diffuse spectrum of low level noise that covers over the really annoying stuff. I have my HD series on right now and one of the reasons I took my ML RGB off was because they were too quiet. At low fan speeds (600 rpm on 140s), I could hear my two pumps. Not what I want to hear. So while the HD makes "fan noise" that is wonderful in comparison.

See if the fan makes the same "irritating noise" in free air. If that is what you are hearing and its driving you nuts, then make a different choice in light of the above.

or perhaps you are hearing the magnetic levitation part of the fan and it strikes you the wrong way.

I suppose it must be this. One would assume that "magnetic levitation" would be quieter at all RPMs, but this is simply not the case. I have gotten several more opinions. These fans are much louder and very audible at low RPMs when the room is otherwise silent. It is not the air, it isn't vibrations, it's a little clicking bearing sound right out of the middle.

I assume you have an extremely quiet environment. Having been down that rabbit hole before, recognize that something has to be the loudest thing in the room. I don't know what else is in your system, but if you are successful in eliminating all fan noise, you will be left with what's underneath.

You are correct, and there is nothing underneath. I have removed all my HDDs and swapped them out with flash storage. I have two decoupled pumps that run at 30%. My comptuer is passively cooled by it's 2x560mm rads in the back about 90% of the time.

While gaming / work my fans (which are also all from corsair (AF fans and previously SP fans)) go up to 30% speed and are still inaudible, except for these bugger "magnet levitation" fans now. I'm really not a fan, pun intended.

Thanks for your help anyway. I gave a nasty review on amazon warning other silent-pc users ;)

Archived