Corsair Community

Corsair HX1200 - pop and a spark

v1ztep

My power supply "Corsair HX1200" after 2.5 years of work began to turn on strangely. After 8-10 hours of inactivity, the first activation is accompanied by a pop and a spark. Don't know if I can use it?

This is how it looks after 8-10 hours of inactivity:

https://photos.app.goo . gl/e9NtP6rN8U2ZvssH9

Sometimes the clap is even louder when first turned on.

I'm afraid that soon he may burn my PC? :(:

===============================

I wrote an RMA(2003746509) request on 20.11 and there is still no response.

Do you flip the switch on the PSU each time you power off your computer or do you just close on windows and power on from the case usual switch?

It's very bad for the PSU to switch it off constantly. What you see is what happens when you power on a PSU with discharged caps. There is a massive inrush of current to charge them.

There is no need to touch that switch unless you have to take the computer apart.

Edited by LeDoyen

You can use it i believe (maybe wait for Jonyguru's advice) but yes, please do not switch it off at all :)

The idle power consumption is extremely low, and it shocks the imput protection components on the PSU each time you click that button on as you can evidently see.

The thing is supported by a 10 years warranty if i'm not mistaken, but it won't last nearly that long if you flip the switch daily. It's an early 1990's habit that has to go :)

• Corsair Employee
After turning off the computer in Windows, I always turned it off on the power supply too, for 2.5 years there were no problems.

Right. But because you kept doing that for 2.5, you've created damage.

You SHOULD NOT be turning your PSU off every day like that. That's not how ATX power supplies were designed to operate.

Right. But because you kept doing that for 2.5, you've created damage.

You SHOULD NOT be turning your PSU off every day like that. That's not how ATX power supplies were designed to operate.

ok. I have the backlight of the system unit outside and inside, I do not want to turn it off when the PC is on, but I definitely need to turn it off at night - what should I do?

can a power strip with a mains power on / off switch solve this problem, or will it have the same effect on the PSU when I turn it on in the morning?

Edited by v1ztep

What is your motherboard model/manufacturer?

There are options in BIOS to turn off the lighting when the PC is off. If this doesn't work, there's other options to reduce further the motherboard power usage which in effect, switch off the lighting. Just another way of achieving the same thing.

What is your motherboard model/manufacturer?

There are options in BIOS to turn off the lighting when the PC is off. If this doesn't work, there's other options to reduce further the motherboard power usage which in effect, switch off the lighting. Just another way of achieving the same thing.

ASUS ROG STRIX X299-XE GAMING

I knew that through the BIOS it was possible to completely turn off the backlight, but did not know about the possibility of turning off the backlight when the PC was off.

Found on the asus forum about the ERP parameter - it worked, thanks. :roll:

Edited by v1ztep

The only thing that interests me now is periodic blackouts or power outages - about once a quarter this happens, and it is not known how many times at night, is this the same undesirable effect for the PSU? Edited by v1ztep

slightly off on a tangent. maybe some thought should be put into this and filling custom loops.

I mean...

I have dual loops.. and on a fill i guess that switch gets flipped at least 8 times per loop?.. twice a year?. just how bad its it to Flip the switch that must not be flipped.

I gotta ask. as others are asking me and i need factful answers :o:

Edited by Zotty

when filling the loop we add coolant to the reservoir and switch back on in a few seconds. not enough to completely discharge the caps. i did it last weekend again and no issues. I didn't even hear a crackle on the first power on, or the next ones. Here it has been flipped almost daily for 2 and a half years and powered on on fully discharged caps ^^' that's a lot of pops and it still works.

In the case of custom loop cooling, it's a matter of designing the loop in a manner that you limit the number of on/off cycles to fill it. Big reservoir helps of course but leveling it in a big case also plays a role.. having vents to fill up as much as possible without powering on.

In my case for example, 3 rads, 2 blocks on a O11XL, when i first fill up, only the top rad is dry. all the rest gets filled first time and one flip of the switch is enough to flow full circle. I still stop it once to refill to avoid making too much foam but it curculates already on first power on. If i wasn't lazy i could fill it while it runs and be done in one go :p

But that implies that i used only crossflow rads and a tall reservoir. So as you know there's a lot to it to reduce wear on those poor PSUs ^^'

• Corsair Employee
ok. I have the backlight of the system unit outside and inside, I do not want to turn it off when the PC is on, but I definitely need to turn it off at night - what should I do?

can a power strip with a mains power on / off switch solve this problem, or will it have the same effect on the PSU when I turn it on in the morning?

No. Flipping AC off to the PSU, whether from the switch on the back or from the wall or power strip, is all the same thing.

You can turn your lights off in the BIOS. They don't have to be always on. Unless you bought RGB RAM too. That can't be turned off.

The only thing that interests me now is periodic blackouts or power outages - about once a quarter this happens, and it is not known how many times at night, is this the same undesirable effect for the PSU?

Power failure will not hurt a PC however any open work will be lost. Word etc save every few seconds so users need not worry about dodgy power companies.

• Corsair Employee
slightly off on a tangent. maybe some thought should be put into this and filling custom loops.

I mean...

I have dual loops.. and on a fill i guess that switch gets flipped at least 8 times per loop?.. twice a year?. just how bad its it to Flip the switch that must not be flipped.

I gotta ask. as others are asking me and i need factful answers :o:

Not an issue. We're talking about someone that's turning the PSU off EVERY NIGHT because the lights on the motherboard bothers him.