Corsair Community

Is having different fan types in one Corsair RGB hub only limited by ICUE software?

Sinexous

Hey Folks,

on my current build I forgot that you cannot really connect different fans into one RGB hub, so I connected 3 HD120 and 3 LL120 Fans to it, which obviously didn't work as I intended.

But while trying to figure out if I might get it working I started to understand how the ICUE software with the Lightning Node and RGB hub works. I noticed that it didn't really glitch out with weird flickering or something else I expected, with the only issue being that the LED's are misaligned. Exactly by 4, which is the number of LEDs the LL fans have more than the HD fans.

So I figured out, that the software sees the fans just as one long RGB strip and plays the desired effects based on the fan setting you set the channel on. So when you have 3 fans with 12 LEDs each. The controller sees 36 LEDs and breaks them into 12 LED chunks and if you set the wrong fan the LEDs just get misaligned.

So my actual question is, why can't you specify for example that you have 6 fans in channel 1 and the first 3 fans are HD fans and the second 3 are LL fans. Is this feature possible to implement in the software?

tl;dr: the node sees the Fans from the hub as one RGB strip and not as actual fans, which means there shouldn't be a limit to fan variety.

• 11 months later...
I have the same issue here. I got a corsair 220t case with 3 sp120 rgp pro fans that come with the case. I got an additional corsair ll120 rgb for the rear exhaust fan. When i plugged them into the node core, the ll120 fan didnt work. Is there anyway to fix this?

Hey Folks,

on my current build I forgot that you cannot really connect different fans into one RGB hub, so I connected 3 HD120 and 3 LL120 Fans to it, which obviously didn't work as I intended.

But while trying to figure out if I might get it working I started to understand how the ICUE software with the Lightning Node and RGB hub works. I noticed that it didn't really glitch out with weird flickering or something else I expected, with the only issue being that the LED's are misaligned. Exactly by 4, which is the number of LEDs the LL fans have more than the HD fans.

So I figured out, that the software sees the fans just as one long RGB strip and plays the desired effects based on the fan setting you set the channel on. So when you have 3 fans with 12 LEDs each. The controller sees 36 LEDs and breaks them into 12 LED chunks and if you set the wrong fan the LEDs just get misaligned.

So my actual question is, why can't you specify for example that you have 6 fans in channel 1 and the first 3 fans are HD fans and the second 3 are LL fans. Is this feature possible to implement in the software?

tl;dr: the node sees the Fans from the hub as one RGB strip and not as actual fans, which means there shouldn't be a limit to fan variety.

All Spot on until you come to the Commander Core (included with the New Elite Coolers). this does indeed detect per RGB Fan header and as such would allow fan mixing and correct config in iCUE and it was confirmed by a Corsair PM on Reddit that a coming firmware update will allow this soon.

there are pro's and cons to this way of doing things as some of us with more than 6 fans are Cloning RGB channels (running more than one RGB Fan LED Hub off of one LED Channel), i assume per header detection would mess this 'work around' up

an example of cloning RGB channels.. 1 RGB channel.. 32 RGB fans. all syncs lovely in banks of 4 (Obsidian 1000d)

http://i.imgur.com/Q2bE2bml.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QaRuyIsl.jpg