Corsair Community

K70 usage without CUE software

mathew7

Hello,

If this has been discussed, sorry, but searching for "without" is always a problem. "software" show probably half of the K70 posts.

I am looking to buy a K70 RGB, but I don't like using SW for devices (mouse, KB, wheel etc.).

So my question is: what features can be used without the SW?

I don't mind using it once for setting up, like HW profile, but I don't want it active always. Plus that I'm gonna use it through a KVM and Linux is also used. Note: I'm not using the keyboard emulation. That was unusable (at least in gaming) with any KB I tried (Logitech, A4tech). I'm using the KVM's passthrough ports for both mouse and KB.

So my objectives:

- have all LEDs green (maybe a green+yellow combo)

- don't use CUE (preferably not even for setting up)

- no macros (otherwise I would be looking at Razer Deathstalker Ultimate Stealth)

- I only need brightness control in addition to "regular" multimedia KB features

- MX brown switches, but due to layouts (UK/EU as opposed to US/NA) I may be forced for reds

As a side-note regarding KVM (Aten CS1794), Razer Deathstalker Ultimate 2014 worked great, but I could not stand the MX blues and the additional side buttons.

Since I can't get Max Nighthawk X8/9 and Ducky Shines in europe, K70RGB seems my only option.

PS: can the switches be replaced without soldering? This is regarding the MX brown objective, as I would probably take the red KB now and buy brown switches later.

1. Yes, you can have a static color saved on the onboard memory. Without CUE you won't be able to have any active "effects" running but that doesm't seem a problem based on what you wrote.
  2. To setup the initial green/yellow color and save it in the onboard memory you will need CUE at least once to create the profile and save it in the keyboard. There is no way around that.
  3. That's fine, if you don't need macros it will work just fine.
  4. There is a brightness button that has 4 levels and you can use it without CUE: 0, 33, 66 and 100%.
  5. You should be able to find brown switches just fine, I do have a K70 RGB Brown switches with NA layout.

Thanks, the 1-4 answers are great news.

But the 5th answer I'm not sure it answers my question (which I also expressed it wrong).

One of my possible-but-very-low-importance options is to buy a UK layout with MX red switches (because I can't seem to find UK layout with brown on amazon or ebay UK). But later to buy myself 100+ brown switches and replace all of them myself on the keyboard (DIY job). If the switches are soldered, then this option will be "canceled" (although the cost of bulk switches may already be too much). But I would like to know if DIY changing is possible. It may "ease" me into accepting the reds.

Ahhh okay, I thought you wanted the NA layout.

UK layout with brown switches is available here if you want:

As for purchasing a red switches one and then replacing them later, I don't suggest you this option. Right now, as far as I know, the Cherry MX RGB switches are not available for sale anywhere. You'll have to wait who knows how much before you can get them.

I think CH-9000065-UK or CH-9000093-UK will be something like:

http://i.imgur.com/xbYHN8w.jpg

And CH-9000065-NA or CH-9000093-NA will be like:

http://i.imgur.com/OLs5PAq.jpg

Both images are part of the CUE package.

But sometimes, the vendors uses the same image to diferent versions. In the spanish market you can also buy keyboards without the "ñ" and ISO layout with an erroneous "NA" image in their catalog.

• 7 months later...
  1. Yes, you can have a static color saved on the onboard memory. Without CUE you won't be able to have any active "effects" running but that doesm't seem a problem based on what you wrote.
  2. To setup the initial green/yellow color and save it in the onboard memory you will need CUE at least once to create the profile and save it in the keyboard. There is no way around that.
  3. That's fine, if you don't need macros it will work just fine.
  4. There is a brightness button that has 4 levels and you can use it without CUE: 0, 33, 66 and 100%.
  5. You should be able to find brown switches just fine, I do have a K70 RGB Brown switches with NA layout.

I have the same issue. I want to change the default static red board to green, and I want to run the board without the CUE running. Don't need any lighting effects (except static green default), and don't use macros in my games. I can change the static default color to green, but every time I turn off CUE, the red comes back. I don't start CUE with system startup either, so when the computer comes on, its red, not green. I can only have the green lights if I have CUE running.

You said in responding to #1: you can have the boards memory remember this. I can not find anything about that. I've searched everywhere. Can you direct me to a thread or to instructions that state specifically about changing the default red color (in the boards memory) to green so I don't have to run CUE.

Oh, and its the same for my mouse: using brand new K65 and M65. all updates. all current. everything works fine. I'm sure I just can't locate how to do this. At a dead end, so anything helps. Hope I'm not hijacking this thread! :-)

ok, found something on another website. it was driving me crazy!!! had to look again.

In case someone else is looking, here's what you have to do to use a default profile without running CUE:

In Cue, go to profiles

click on small menu next to "default" under profile (its next to the arrow for the default drop menu)

then select "save profile to device memory"

after you select, a small microchip will appear next to default, meaning you've saved to the board's memory

done. It will start/run with your default colors WITHOUT USING CUE.

I'm sure its in the instructions somewhere, but keyword search for "without", "cue", etc... was too general and not hitting anything.

Edited by mindlessbuddha
finished what I was typing

• 4 years later...