Corsair Community

CoolDeep FH-10 Fan Hub

rgjertsen

I have read some guides here about RGB lighting for my case and how to connect them. I was planing to go for a triple pack of QL120s and then get the Lighting Node Core with it. I am also going for an H115i Platinum and one extra single QL120.

I have couple of questions:

I will connect the four case fans to the LNC, but will the RGB for the AIO fans connect to this as well, or do you connect the RGB from those to the pump itself?

A lot of people on here recommend the Command Pro, but I feel it would be a it waste to buy that for about $80 when I get the LNC with the fans and a DeepCool FH-10 fan hub costs me $20 where I live.

I know the Command Pro gives temp and USB 2 as well, but I think I am fine with the two USB 2.0 ports on my mobo as well as one 3.1 gen 1 and one gen 2 port.

I haven't read much about the DeepCool, but it sounds OK.

Would this setup work fine? LNC for RGB and DeepCool for PWM to the mobo?

The H115i Platinum will come with ML-RGB fans. If you are using those, you can connect them to the AIO and control them from there. While you, technically, can put them on the LNC, you won't be able to control them properly - only one fan type is supported on the LNC so those ML's would be configured as a single QL. Effects would be waaaaaaaaay off and some of the QL exclusive effects just wouldn't work properly at all.

Second, comparing the FH-10 fan hub and the CoPro is apples and oranges. The CoPro would provide you full control over each individual fan. The FH-10 would let you control all the fans ... as a single fan. So they'd all have the same speed; it merely distributes signal and power. It's not a full controller like the CoPro.

The H115i Platinum will come with ML-RGB fans. If you are using those, you can connect them to the AIO and control them from there. While you, technically, can put them on the LNC, you won't be able to control them properly - only one fan type is supported on the LNC so those ML's would be configured as a single QL. Effects would be waaaaaaaaay off and some of the QL exclusive effects just wouldn't work properly at all.

Second, comparing the FH-10 fan hub and the CoPro is apples and oranges. The CoPro would provide you full control over each individual fan. The FH-10 would let you control all the fans ... as a single fan. So they'd all have the same speed; it merely distributes signal and power. It's not a full controller like the CoPro.

Ok, that helps a lot!

As long as I can connect both PWM and RGB from the MLs to the AIO, I will do that. For the QLs I guess I will go for a CoPro! It's a bit more expensive, but I understand it gives you way more control.

I have had a lot of help from the charts that were made by a Mod I guess from this forum. They are amazing.

Edit:

One question. Would there be a difference between controlling the fans if they are connected to either the CoPro or directly to the mobo with two fans in two fan ports and one in the last one?

Edited by rgjertsen

Which fans are you referring to?

The AIO fans should be on the AIO ... and the speed controlled by the coolant temp.

Motherboard temp controls are usually either the CPU (which isn't really appropriate for a liquid cooled system) ... or some mysterious sensor somewhere on the board that you really have no idea where it is. Using the CoPro and its temp sensors allows you to control case fan speeds based on internal case temps from a location that you know.

Which fans are you referring to?

The AIO fans should be on the AIO ... and the speed controlled by the coolant temp.

Motherboard temp controls are usually either the CPU (which isn't really appropriate for a liquid cooled system) ... or some mysterious sensor somewhere on the board that you really have no idea where it is. Using the CoPro and its temp sensors allows you to control case fan speeds based on internal case temps from a location that you know.

Sorry, I ment the case fans. I wrote it a bit too fast. I was thinking about four case fans, QL120s, I want to use. If I connect them to the ordinary CHA_FAN ports, then it will be controlled by the "random" temp you are talking about? So either way you would recommend the CoPro?

Sorry, I ment the case fans. I wrote it a bit too fast. I was thinking about four case fans, QL120s, I want to use. If I connect them to the ordinary CHA_FAN ports, then it will be controlled by the "random" temp you are talking about? So either way you would recommend the CoPro?

Yes, they'd be controlled by one of the motherboard's available temperatures. This does vary (widely) by motherboard and CPU is really the only one that you can count on. Some motherboards do have a header for a temp sensor that can be used for fan speed control - so that might be an option for you.

The aren't quite "random" but they are usually mysterious. On my board, for example, iCUE picks up 15. Some are garbage (and read things like 8C, which isn't possible). Others ... I have no idea what they are or where they are. Even in the BIOS, it's difficult to tell because they have helpful names like "MB Temp 1".

Yes, they'd be controlled by one of the motherboard's available temperatures. This does vary (widely) by motherboard and CPU is really the only one that you can count on. Some motherboards do have a header for a temp sensor that can be used for fan speed control - so that might be an option for you.

The aren't quite "random" but they are usually mysterious. On my board, for example, iCUE picks up 15. Some are garbage (and read things like 8C, which isn't possible). Others ... I have no idea what they are or where they are. Even in the BIOS, it's difficult to tell because they have helpful names like "MB Temp 1".

I have a temp sensor header on my X470, so I might try this first before I buy a CoPro. What type of sensor do I need, and where do you recommend putting it?

Would a 10kOhm NTC 2-pin probe be correct?

Edited by rgjertsen

Pretty much all controllers and motherboards taking temperature inputs use 10Kohm NTC, so you're good to go.

for an AIO, it will be hard to strap a thermistance to the tubing, they are usually braided so the reading would be bogus.

If the tubing is not braided, you can tape a NTC to it (bit visible) or stick it to the radiator on one of the end tanks. But if the sensor comes lose..

You can stick to using CPU temperature and setting a fan curve that's not as agressive as it would be with air coolers (flatter curve so the fans don't accelerate everytime you open your browser).

Another word about the DeepCool FH-10 : I used that fan hub before and it has a weird problem.. when the PC is off, it always outputs like 5V to all the fans. so they never stop spinning. It was weird!

it was connected to one of the motherboard headers for PWM, and powered straight from the PSU. controlling two LL140, 5 HD140 and a couple of 90mm noctuas (on a 680X crystal)

When powering off the computer, the fans would spin at very low speed, maybe 300-ish RPM, barely any airflow. I couldn't hear them. i just noticed one day that the blades were spinning.

I guess it depends on what fans you have, if the residual voltage is enough to make them spin. Could be that 140mm are more sensitive than 120. no idea.

Pretty much all controllers and motherboards taking temperature inputs use 10Kohm NTC, so you're good to go.

for an AIO, it will be hard to strap a thermistance to the tubing, they are usually braided so the reading would be bogus.

If the tubing is not braided, you can tape a NTC to it (bit visible) or stick it to the radiator on one of the end tanks. But if the sensor comes lose..

You can stick to using CPU temperature and setting a fan curve that's not as agressive as it would be with air coolers (flatter curve so the fans don't accelerate everytime you open your browser).

Another word about the DeepCool FH-10 : I used that fan hub before and it has a weird problem.. when the PC is off, it always outputs like 5V to all the fans. so they never stop spinning. It was weird!

Ok, thanks :) I'll just give it a shot without a sensor for now then.