Corsair Community

Replacing H115i Platinum or PRO XT fans with Noctua fans

Weltall43

Hello and thanks ahead for any responses. I am trying to learn about cooling and was curious if:

1. It would be a good idea to replace the ML fans on the H115i Plat or Pro XT with Noctua fans?

2. Has anyone done it here? If so, which Noctua (model name if possible!) did you use?

3. How was performance comparisons?

I am hearing complaints that the stock fans are way too loud and was hoping to avoid that.

Edited by Weltall43

Just this week it came to my attention there may be an issue with Platinum and XT fan controllers and the Noctua Industrial line. I have used most of them for years on other Corsair controllers without issue, but there may be a problem with the 2000 and definitely the 3000 rpm Industrial PWM models. The Chromax version with a different motor is confirmed to work and 1500 RPM is plenty for a pair of 140mm fans. The 2000 rpm of the Industrial would be wasted and both fans perform the same at the same speed.

To that end, I don't think you'll see much change in coolant temp switching between the ML and Noctua A14 blade type (Chromax or Industrial). I have been using all of these fans, in all of these flavors for years. At the 140mm size on a radiator I have never found any measurable performance difference. Both are similar is noise, with a slight edge to the ML in the middle speeds. The Noctua are slightly quieter at the lowest possible speeds. Everything is loud at 1500 rpm. I use on or the other depending on the build. I liked the Noctua in my 540 builds. I like the ML in my 740 build that has a more polished black appearance on the interior. It's really down to slim stuff like that.

The only real reason I could see someone doing this in your position is if you actively do not want RGB fans and would prefer all black. You could buy the ML Pro (black), but I would probably see what was on the other side of the fence since the ML14-RGB High Speed that comes with the Platinum will be identical to the ML140 Pro in terms of performance, noise, etc.