Corsair Community

H100i Platinum compatibility with Ryzen Threadripper 1920X?

ktattan

I noticed that the Threadripper 1920X is rectangular (approx. dimensions 7cm X 5cm), while the cooling base of the H100i is square (approx dimensions 5.7cm X 5.7cm). This means that the cooling base wouldn't fully cover the CPU when mounted. Is that an issue? Should a different cooler with a larger, rectangular cooling base be used to cover the entire CPU, or does it not matter? In addition, the H100i comes with pre-applied thermal paste (a very thin layer); is it necessary to apply more thermal paste to the CPU before mounting? My instinct tells me it is, just to be safe.

Any advice / tips / links welcome. Thanks in advance

The cores on the ThreadRipper don't cover the entire space of the heatspreader; the heatspreader is a good deal larger. You'll be OK with the H100. Ideally, I'd recommend the H115 tho. I used that with my TR 2950X for quite some time before I went to HydroX. It did a decent job.

I would recommend cleaning off the included thermal paste and applying your own quality TIM. The TR is a much larger chip and the pre-applied thermal paste won't cover the entirety of the dies (though the cooler itself will).