Corsair Community

i182 vs i165 cpu-wise for 3D + Modeling + ArchVis

CeeCee

Hi all,

can't decide yet, use for heavy and high 3D poly modelling + ArchVis+ Rendering + Gaming

i182 vs i165

i9-9920X vs i9-9900k

The software I use is Revit / Lumion / Unreal, and those don't work on multi-cores for most of the tasks. So wondering if the 9920x is necessary !

Unless the 9920X works on a high boost speed for a few cores better then the 9900k.

If think the higher base clock speed and boost clock speed of the i9-9900k is preferable instead of the i9-9920X.

I assume the i9-9920x, is only introduced for creators who do video editing, and NOT for CAM-ArcVis creators.

Any other opinions?

Rgrds

From my experience with both systems, you might be better off with the 9900K. Reasons:

1) The 9920X, from a stock installation, rarely boosts above 4.2GHz and basically never reaches 4.5GHz. On single-threaded workloads.

2) The X299 motherboard used has fewer options to control the MCE feature that works very well on the i16x series, making it relatively unusable. Therefore you're kind of stuck with the inability to reach full boost on the 9920X. The i16x board with a flip of the switch to enable MCE and a TDP adjustment to allow 125W-160W TDP will work at 5.0GHz on all cores all the time.

3) Corsair have been pretty open that they aren't catering to the enthusiast community with the Corsair One series, so don't rely/expect BIOS updates to help you tinker like for their other product series. Reference: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=1000777&postcount=48

Only exception: total RAM usage for your application. You only get 2 slots on the 9900K platform, whereas you get 4 on the X299. I needed 128GB for my workloads, which is not possible with 2 slots. Check your needs on that since it may be the overriding requirement.

Other possibly related factor: my 9900K system has the dreaded extremely annoying pump cavitation noise on the CPU cooling (left) side that many users are complaining about on the forums and in the reviews. My two 9920X systems have no pump noise issues at all, either CPU or GPU (although one of the systems does have some coil whine on the GPU in some workloads). When I rotate the systems around, I can clearly hear a lot of bubbling/gurgling in the 9900K system, indicating the AIO system was not well bled before sealing. I do not hear gurgling in both 9920X systems. Since the cooling systems are identical in both platforms, one might hypothesize that the 9920X series has better quality control...

Thnxs for the quick and thorough reply!

I asked Corsair for a custom built: The i182 but with an 9900K cpu, because i guess that's a nice system for my needs, and still have the ability for more RAM. Although as you stated, less possibilities to adjust the cpu.

So probably, the i165 is the best option out there,

Thnxs again.

An i182 with a 9900K is a bit of a paradox. Literally the only thing different between the i182 and the i165 is the motherboard and the CPU. A 9900K is a socket 1151 processor, and thus requires a different motherboard. The i182 motherboard is X299/socket 2066, which means you can't fit a 9900K.

A motherboard with socket 1151 and 4 memory slots does not currently exist, so you really have to choose the platform and you cannot have your cake and eat it.

Another alternative is to poke Corsair to allow a BIOS update on the i182 to upgrade the CPU to 10th generation Cascade Lake-X processors. (Asrock released this BIOS last September already). The 10th gen processors have higher boost speeds, and also more flexible TB3 boosts (4-core boosts). In that case I would expect a 10920X to reach at least 4.7GHz under lightly threaded applications. Still lower than a 9900K, but quite a step up from the 4.2GHz we're getting on the 9920X.

• 2 weeks later...