Corsair Community

Gaming @240Hz

pazzoballer

Just picked up Pro Ti. It runs very quiet at 60Hz. When I change the refresh rate to 240Hz (with G-Sync) and play games, the fans + pumps switch to overdrive. Gears of War 4 runs fantastic and I'm getting 230+FPS. Only concern is the additional noise.

Link temps show (@240Hz):

idle - GPU 34C + 1100rpm

during play - GPU 59C + 1914rpm

Is the additional temp/noise normal with higher refresh rates?

You're pushing 4x the number of frames in the same amount of time.

So your GPU is working 4x as hard.

So ... yes, it's going to be warmer. And the cooling system is going to have to work harder to get rid of the heat.

It doesn't matter if it's the Corsair One or any other system.

Just picked up Pro Ti. It runs very quiet at 60Hz. When I change the refresh rate to 240Hz (with G-Sync) and play games, the fans + pumps switch to overdrive. Gears of War 4 runs fantastic and I'm getting 230+FPS. Only concern is the additional noise.

Link temps show (@240Hz):

idle - GPU 34C + 1100rpm

during play - GPU 59C + 1914rpm

Is the additional temp/noise normal with higher refresh rates?

Record the noise level with a decibel meter in a quiet room at a distance of 3 feet, 1 foot, and right above the PC. Preferably while recording it on video.

Corsair can let you know if it's generating unusually excessive noise, or is running as expected. But yes, it does make some more noise when under load, but it's not what I would call "loud" by any means.

That temp seems O.K though, actually good all things considered.. that's one great thing about the Corsair One (at least those with the GPU coolers), the temps are often low even at high demand. If you're concerned with noise then I'd personally recommend using Riva Tuner (comes with MSI Afterburner) to cap the frame-rate for you & give your PC some more breathing room. Maybe try capping at 180 fps to see if it makes a difference? Riva is a good tool for helping strike the right balance for certain games, especially those that don't offer native FPS limiters in-game. But for Gears, maybe try having in-game FPS set to Unlimited, then cap Gears4.exe to 180 frames/sec in Riva Tuner. Or lower if you need. I don't think you'll notice much difference between 180 and 230 fps .. we want to push our beautiful PCs to the limit and get the performance we paid for, but sometimes it's best to be conservative and cut the CPU and GPU some slack here or there.

I'd also say as a general rule to check out Nvidia's write-ups for games and how those games affect performance/specific GPUs. For example Shadows or Reflections could be making your GPU do lots of extra work for little reason, as some graphics settings don't yield the expected return at High/Ultra when comparing to Low/Medium. I always leave Shadow Quality at Medium with my Corsair One Pro's 1080, unless I've read & concluded that increasing it won't make the GPU work too much harder.

Example: Fallout 4's God-ray (Volumetric Lighting) setting should always be on Low. The visual difference between High & Low is negligible, and having it at High killed my frame-rate in certain areas in daylight.

EDIT: Have you also checked your CPU temps? My 7700 was getting extremely hot when playing Witcher 3, and the heat coming from the PC was palpable. Was also noisy. Limiting Witcher 3 via Riva to 80fps (was getting 100+ is most areas) fixed the CPU temp issue and my PC was noticeably quieter. Not sure how CPU intensive Gears 4 is... I know Witcher 3 LOVES CPU cores & threads

Archived