Corsair Community

More emphasis on "beta" and warnings?

solarity

Personally I think iCue is awesome and I was excited about the early release. I still think it is better than anything else I have used or seen. I am also confident that it will continue to improve rapidly.

Working in IT I have realistic expectations for something that is in it's early stages. Though to be honest, I don't think a lot of people know or understand this. Maybe iCue should have Beta rubber stamps all over it. I would suggest more fine print, though I know many didn't read the existing fine print, when they clicked download. Maybe add a required text field that they have to type "This is a BETA!" to be able to start the download?

It is nice when people come here to report issues they see, though it is very distracting and annoying when they use this medium to vent their rage. Many of us try to reason with them and help them, though I fear some might be beyond help.

• Corsair Employee

That's fair. We did what we thought was appropriate in terms of preparing people for the initial beta/early access releases of iCUE.

We appreciate the feedback and will keep that in mind to make it more explicitly clear for future early access releases.

That's fair. We did what we thought was appropriate in terms of preparing people for the initial beta/early access releases of iCUE.

We appreciate the feedback and will keep that in mind to make it more explicitly clear for future early access releases.

It appeared very apparent when it was first released, though recently I do see how some lines could be easily blurred/less apparent via the marketing material. Though at the same time I think some people are being a little unreasonable.

It doesn't help that we have people like BitWit saying that "iCUE has just had it's full launch on Monday" lol. See 1:25: [ame]

[/ame]

I agree there seem to be a lot of people that either don't realise that it's in early access and not finalised, or don't understand what that means. Hopefully that can be cleared up.

I think the more major issue is that Corsair Marketing seems to think its done. See the press release here.

COMPUTEX, TAIPEI, TAIWAN — June 4th, 2018 — CORSAIR®, a world leader in PC gaming peripherals and enthusiast components, today launched its new CORSAIR iCUE software, unlocking a new level of system lighting across a huge range of CORSAIR products.

For the first time from CORSAIR, iCUE unifies dynamic lighting control, cooling control, system monitoring and command customization within a single intuitive interface, supporting literally thousands of CORSAIR products. From keyboards and mice such as the K70 RGB LUX and M65 PRO RGB, to Hydro Series PRO liquid CPU coolers and AXi Series power supplies, iCUE brings your entire system together with stunning synchronized lighting and powerful system control.

And the follow on from there is that other tech news sites/outlets are reporting that iCue is "done". See here and here for example.

The only place that I've seen it even mention "early access" is when you click on the download button on the nice iCue landing page. But the design flaw there is that "early access" does not stand out in any way, shape or form. It should, at the very least, be bolded IMO.

I think the more major issue is that Corsair Marketing seems to think its done. See the press release here.

And the follow on from there is that other tech news sites/outlets are reporting that iCue is "done". See here and here for example.

The only place that I've seen it even mention "early access" is when you click on the download button on the nice iCue landing page. But the design flaw there is that "early access" does not stand out in any way, shape or form. It should, at the very least, be bolded IMO.

Holy crap... I myself know that it's in Beta but that is really misleading.. Thanks for sharing..

Corsair you might want to fix this..

Corsair launched beta versions of its unified iCUE software a few months ago. Now at Computex 2018, Corsair has stripped iCUE of its beta status and is officially debuting the control and customization tool.

Well, they have removed the tags, you may have noticed some subtle language and label changes in this version, so you can draw your own conclusions. Regardless of whether it is “launched” or still in early release, the development continues and updates will be forthcoming. At least the Link & CUE 2 updates haven’t been pulled so you have options. This is also why it is better to hang onto your installers for each version.

Yet ... when you click on the download link, it states:

CORSAIR iCUE is an ambitious undertaking that, when complete, will provide you with more monitoring, lighting, and fan control capabilities than ever before. We’re excited to ask you to join us in these early access stages to help us create the best software possible. For a full list of iCUE compatible devices, click HERE.

At some level, people need to take responsibility to read stuff and not just "click through". Seriously. At what point does this kind become ridiculous? Should they put in it a blink tag so that everyone notices it, even if it's because it's annoying? Why am I reminded of the warning label on a curling iron ... "Not for internal use" ...

Yet ... when you click on the download link, it states:

At some level, people need to take responsibility to read stuff and not just "click through". Seriously. At what point does this kind become ridiculous? Should they put in it a blink tag so that everyone notices it, even if it's because it's annoying? Why am I reminded of the warning label on a curling iron ... "Not for internal use" ...

I 100% agree with you.

However I also think that having various sources announcing that the product is out of beta when that is obviously not the case (as you said, when you go to download it, it says this) is a problem. A separate one, but still a problem.

I would think that most people will likely purchase a product before downloading the software, consider that they might purchase the Corsair product in question based on the reports that iCUE has supposedly had it's full release, only to find that this information was entirely false after purchasing.

I'm not batting for one side or the other, and I'm not saying that it's not made clear when downloading the software that it is in early access, as it was very clear to me. I'm just pointing out that there are clearly false reports being made by commonly known sources that iCUE has made it's full release when this isn't the case.

It's likely that someone at the Corsair booth at Computex thinks that the software is finished and that would explain why these reports are coming out. I hope that was a mistake, and hopefully when Corsair see this they will let people like BitWit know so they can put a comment or an annotation in their video the clear things up.

I 100% agree with you.

However I also think that having various sources announcing that the product is out of beta when that is obviously not the case (as you said, when you go to download it, it says this) is a problem. A separate one, but still a problem.

I would think that most people will likely purchase a product before downloading the software, consider that they might purchase the Corsair product in question based on the reports that iCUE has supposedly had it's full release, only to find that this information was entirely false after purchasing.

I'm not batting for one side or the other, and I'm not saying that it's not made clear when downloading the software that it is in early access, as it was very clear to me. I'm just pointing out that there are clearly false reports being made by commonly known sources that iCUE has made it's full release when this isn't the case.

It's likely that someone at the Corsair booth at Computex thinks that the software is finished and that would explain why these reports are coming out. I hope that was a mistake, and hopefully when Corsair see this they will let people like BitWit know so they can put a comment or an annotation in their video the clear things up.

After I posted that, I've started hearing the "Full Release" statements. So it seems that Corsair has some mixed messaging right now. :eek:

After I posted that, I've started hearing the "Full Release" statements. So it seems that Corsair has some mixed messaging right now. :eek:

A few days ago when some people were just ranting and raging, I posted that it says "Download Early Access", now it only says "Download". It has semi-fine print that says it is a "Early Access" when you click the link. Though it is no where near as clear as it was a week+ ago.

My main concern is I want to focus the little free time I have to assist in finding bugs, reporting, and seeing if I can find some fix or something that could assist the Dev team more than just identifying the problem. It is a little more distracting when we have to clarify this to people who are unsatisfied and have to some damage to control. It was easy a few days ago, now it feels like we have less of an argument to support our point this tool is Early Access/Beta. The more I look at Corsair's website the less apparent it is that it is early access. In all serious, did they go live with it and did I miss something?

Again I think iCue is a lot better than all of the other tools I have used or seen, it also has a lot less bugs. The CPU usage might be a deal killer for a lot of people, unless they are willing to do a work around or if it is patched soon. With the coverage of Computex and nothing but easily missed fine print, I think this forum is going to get a lot busier.

• Corsair Employee

iCUE is officially launched as of June 4th. iCUE 3.3.103 being the inaugural release, included a number of changes to lighting effects so that Vengeance RGB PRO would be supported in Lighting Link effects. I'm awaiting official patch notes for this before I go into more detail, but there is a bit of lag in communication due to Computex.

That being said, development will continue at the pace it's been going, so please continue to provide your feedback and bug reports.

Changes to the website to reflect this are currently in progress and the forums will be updated once everyone is back from Taiwan.

iCUE is officially launched as of June 4th. iCUE 3.3.103 being the inaugural release, included a number of changes to lighting effects so that Vengeance RGB PRO would be supported in Lighting Link effects. I'm awaiting official patch notes for this before I go into more detail, but there is a bit of lag in communication due to Computex.

That being said, development will continue at the pace it's been going, so please continue to provide your feedback and bug reports.

Changes to the website to reflect this are currently in progress and the forums will be updated once everyone is back from Taiwan.

How can this build be the inaugural release having a so severe flaw on it? How the devs couldn't see a huge cpu usage when testing it? They test the stuff they made?

I have one of the best CPU in the actual market and I have many problems with this high CPU consumption that is impossible not to notice this bug. I believe that the dev team doesn't use Intel extreme editions which are better than my CPU to not even realize this absurd failure.

Look, even this sounds like an attack to you at Corsair, it's not. I'm concerned and doing a constructive criticism, not only complaining. But I have to say this words as I am a fan of Corsair products and a enthusiast of your hardware. See my system specs and you can get an idea of what level I love Corsair hardware, but I'm disappointed with the speed and the way the things get developed and fixed talking about software side. Corsair needs to improve this urgently!

How can this build be the inaugural release having a so severe flaw on it? How the devs couldn't see a huge cpu usage when testing it? They test the stuff they made?

I have one of the best CPU in the actual market and I have many problems with this high CPU consumption that is impossible not to notice this bug. I believe that the dev team doesn't use Intel extreme editions which are better than my CPU to not even realize this absurd failure.

Look, even this sounds like an attack to you at Corsair, it's not. I'm concerned and doing a constructive criticism, not only complaining. But I have to say this words as I am a fan of Corsair products and a enthusiast of your hardware. See my system specs and you can get an idea of what level I love Corsair hardware, but I'm disappointed with the speed and the way the things get developed and fixed talking about software side. Corsair needs to improve this urgently!

TBH This build was really meant to be used at Computex to show off the new devices with working software, it just needed to work with no crashes. They knew about the issue but when an event like Computex comes along everything has to go.

TBH This build was really meant to be used at Computex to show off the new devices with working software, it just needed to work with no crashes. They knew about the issue but when an event like Computex comes along everything has to go.

In this case I believe it's best decision to make a internal build/release to show off and not release it to the public, like any other company makes, like Samsung with it's previews. IMO this will prevents a lot of trouble and makes Corsair reflect more professionalism in the way they develop their systems. It seems to be only a bad decision of someone. I do understand what Computex is, talking about the marketing range, but I think there is enough cases that lead they to learn by mistakes and taking better decisions for this kind of event. It's not that they don't have enough time to working on it, I just don't understand what lead a person to make the decision to release this flaw version to the public even knowing about the issue. Makes no sense.

• Corsair Employee
In this case I believe it's best decision to make a internal build/release to show off and not release it to the public, like any other company makes, like Samsung with it's previews. IMO this will prevents a lot of trouble and makes Corsair reflect more professionalism in the way they develop their systems. It seems to be only a bad decision of someone. I do understand what Computex is, talking about the marketing range, but I think there is enough cases that lead they to learn by mistakes and taking better decisions for this kind of event. It's not that they don't have enough time to working on it, I just don't understand what lead a person to make the decision to release this flaw version to the public even knowing about the issue. Makes no sense.

Let me squash that right there. 3.3.103 was signed off internally to be released to the public. Internal builds "just for show" never ever ever go out to the public.

I'm not sure what the case was for this particular release, but I am gathering feedback to provide to the team.

• Corsair Employee

Understood and I appreciate the clarification.

I get the feeling that this version was only signed off as a full release so it could be talked about this way and shown off at computex.. There are clearly persisting problems such as the CPU usage and if you watch the video I posted earlier you can actually see the Corsair LL fans flicker in the new case..

Is this a classic case of "release to meet deadlines, fix problems later"?

I'm not personally experiencing as many problems as others but I don't have many corsair RGB products, and I was under the impression it was still in beta. One look at this forum should be a pretty good hint that it's not exactly ready for "full release".

I'm not trying to take a stab at Corsair here, I think iCUE has the potential to be a very powerful piece of software and I look forward to seeing it grow, but I guess what I'm trying to say here is if you are going to pull something out of beta, isn't it best that you finish ironing out the problems first? We see this a lot with modern games in particular where the product is released in a sort of 75% finished state in order to meet deadlines for one reason or another, and then the rest of the development is completed through incremental updates after release, when the issues really should have been ironed out prior to release.

Now I know there is a difference between games, a piece of software that you pay for and iCUE, a piece of software that is free and has alternatives. However iCUE is still a piece of software designed to be paired with your products, and there are certainly people who will buy your products for the software. I know I would be a bit upset if I bought a whole bunch of products expecting to be able to tie them all into one piece of powerful software under the impression that it was fully released only to find out that my LL series fans are flickering and 20% of my CPU resources are being chewed up.

I hope this perspective makes sense and is helpful in some way.

Just a quick clarification, when you say "officially launched" and "inaugural release" does this mean essentially "out of beta/early access"?

I get the feeling that this version was only signed off as a full release so it could be talked about this way and shown off at computex.. There are clearly persisting problems such as the CPU usage and if you watch the video I posted earlier you can actually see the Corsair LL fans flicker in the new case..

Is this a classic case of "release to meet deadlines, fix problems later"?

Yea lol. In the software world, any time you see a program with some glaring issues it's because of deadlines. "No Mans Sky" Clearly a team with not enough time and to much content to create.

The idea is if it doesn't brick a users computer then its good for a trade show release and by the time anyone is done with Computex and actually buys this stuff a new build will be ready for release.

• Corsair Employee
It's officially launched. You can draw whatever conclusions you need to. Fixes are on the way and the team has been made aware of everyone's feedback. I personally want to say thank you guys for your patience and for posting in the forum.

Yea lol. In the software world, any time you see a program with some glaring issues it's because of deadlines. "No Mans Sky" Clearly a team with not enough time and to much content to create.

The idea is if it doesn't brick a users computer then its good for a trade show release and by the time anyone is done with Computex and actually buys this stuff a new build will be ready for release.

I still remember the days when a game/software product was released and sold, that was the final and finished product. I feel sorry for the devs that are pressured to meet unrealistic marketing deadlines.. :/

Archived