Corsair Community

Corsair H100i GTX And H110i GT How loud is PUMP NOISE

a0krn

Hello AIO users! I Currently have a H100i for about a year or two. The pump is really loud and I would love some feedback on the pump noise regarding h100i gtx and h110i gt. To clarify my h100i doesnt make grinding noise nor buzzing noise, but more of a loud whoosh noise like a fan(Not water sound). And this is with all fans off. Basically its the loudest thing in my case.

I know the corsair link has pump performance and quiet levels. Any thoughts on how loud the pumps are on the 100i gtx and 110i gt?

unplugging the sata connector makes it dead silent.

My system - Turned off all fans to see where the loud noise was coming from.(IDLE) Its not any of my fans.

AX750 Fan OFF on idle

GTX 970 Fan OFF on idle

NZXT S340 Case

Noctua NF A14 PWM -Top Exhaust

Noctua NF s12a -Back Exhaust

h100i+

Noctua NF F12 PWM

Noctua NF F12 PWM

NZXT S340 Case

Samsung 256 SSD

"unplugging the sata connector makes it dead silent."

That's because you switched the pump off. I ran an H100i with 2 noctua fans and mine was virtually silent. I am now running an H110i GT with the stock fans, the pump makes no noise on the standard setting, but makes a "whooshing" noise on performance, but then the pump spins faster on performance. In addition to the Corsair cooler fans, I have 4 cooling fans, 2 Noctua and 2 Akasa Apache Black fans. My computer sits on my desk, about 12 inches from my right ear and, while it isn't silent, I find it acceptable.

"unplugging the sata connector makes it dead silent."

That's because you switched the pump off. I ran an H100i with 2 noctua fans and mine was virtually silent. I am now running an H110i GT with the stock fans, the pump makes no noise on the standard setting, but makes a "whooshing" noise on performance, but then the pump spins faster on performance. In addition to the Corsair cooler fans, I have 4 cooling fans, 2 Noctua and 2 Akasa Apache Black fans. My computer sits on my desk, about 12 inches from my right ear and, while it isn't silent, I find it acceptable.

Imagine a small room with only the h100i running. Thats my system right there. Its noticeably loud. Annoying pump noise. Sounds like a trimmer going on and off constantly. I did state it doesnt make buzzing noise. But its more of a trimmer/fan noise. And im only talking about the fans. But besides that have you tried running your h110i gt without all the fans? do you hear the pump noise?

I tried it without the fans when I changed the setting to performance, so that I could hear the difference. On the stock setting the pump was silent, but on performance it did make a whooshing sound. I had 3 H100i coolers and the pumps were all virtually silent.

I just got my H110i GT installed, and the pump makes a faint but audible fish tank/refrigerator sound. I just wanted to see if this is considered normal operation?

Also, is there any way to change between quiet, balanced, and performance without using corsair link?

That sounds like air. Can you put the computer on its side and run it for a bit? You could also check that your pump isn't set for performance, when I tried the performance setting on mine, it made a noise.

I don't think that you can change the fan profile without using Link.

Geez, what the heck are you people doing with your computers that you can actually hear the pump from these Hydro coolers? And how close is the case to your head when you're using it? Mine sits under my desk, and the most stressful activity I put that system through is gaming, which means there's no way I'm hearing the noise of the water pump over the monsters I'm trying to kill. :)

A pump will always make noise, it's normal, only how the noise can sound is problematic with some people, some people think a AIO is like a custom waterloop, because these systems are very quiet, but they forget that to archive that goal a custom loop will cost you the same as 4790k+ a top end mobo + high end memory. A AIO is not the same a custom loop, people want a quiet AIO that cools the same as a custom loop and want the pay not much for it. I have some H coolers from corsair here, I can hear the pump running when every fan is off and case panel is also off, with the fans on, I can't hear the pump at all. It's the nature of people to surge for something, while there is nothing If you want a quiet pc, go for a big aircooler with low rpm fans, if you want performance go for a AIO and live with the idea that it make more noise as a big air cooler. If still want a AIO but also Quiet, order some sound insulation mats and put these in your case People listen music while they surf on the net, use headphone's while gaming, install high rpm fans for transfers the heat inside the case and complain about a pump that make a little noise. If you have whiny fan, then I would say replace them, a pump that you can hear above fan noise is broken or has air in the pump

So some people didn't understand what I was looking for. So I decided to take things in my own hands. I bought h100i gtx and 110i gt. Powered one at a time and i got this.

Only testing pump noise (Since I Do not have a dba measurement tool)

GTX h100i Pump Noise (Performance mode) 2970 RPM

Results: GRINDING LOUD noise

GTX h100i Pump Noise Quiet mode) 1890 RPM

Results: Buzzing Noise/whoosh noise

GT H110i Pump Noise (Performance mode)

Results: High pitched but very silent. Cannot hear it in case

GT H110i Pump Noise (Quiet mode)

Results: Buzz High pitched but very quiet.

So for now im going to get another gtx H100i and see if i just got a bad unit. And No there are no fans. Fans are silent surprisingly. at 800 RPM

And in case people are wondering. AIO coolers used to promote being a quiet alternative to towers. I spend a lot of money to make my computer quiet. On idle (Not gaming or having head phones on) It should be quiet. I believe Corsair coolers pumps are not all equal in terms of sound. Bad unit vs good unit. So i will update when i get my hands on another gtx H100i

• 2 months later...
Geez, what the heck are you people doing with your computers that you can actually hear the pump from these Hydro coolers? And how close is the case to your head when you're using it? Mine sits under my desk, and the most stressful activity I put that system through is gaming, which means there's no way I'm hearing the noise of the water pump over the monsters I'm trying to kill. :)

The thing is though, is that this is a known issue with AIO water coolers. There are YouTube videos from disappointed Corsair customer who bought these 'new' AIO coolers and the pumps make this truly distinct sound. And the thing is, since the pump is powered directly via the mobo, the humming sound is constant. So if you're using your computer to just browse the web or spreadsheet stuff while you have a fan curve to dial down the RPMs of your fans when not gaming, you're going to hear that pump. I only started noticing this sound when I replaced the loud stock fans with quieter Noctuas. It was as if the stock fans were purposely created to be loud so you won't hear the pump noise! :-P

• 2 months later...

I just upgraded from my H100i which never had any pump noise, even with NO fans plugged in. Same with this new H110i GT 280mm, NO pump noise either setting.

Yes the fans can be OFF when you run a water cooler and the pump is running. The loop will eventually equalize and become the temp of the CPU if you let it run long enough which I have with both units testing thermal metrics and the operation of a 0 fan PC. "Of course you can't do this for long if you introduce load to the system!"

I was able to OC the i7-4770k to 4.6GHZ on an Asus Maximus Extreme VI and remain within safe temps using the H100i and noctua push/pull fans in a Corsair 400R case that had 4 noctuas pushing front and side. It was pulling 3AMP from the 110V end of the supply too!

I've yet to OC the new system but I will do it using this new H110GT!

Archived