Corsair Community

Overclocking TR3X6G1600C8D

Im pretty new to overclocking and this is my first system I built from the ground up. Here is whats going on and my question.

I have been doing a lot of reading and overclocking the new i7's seemed pretty easy, I gave it a go and I'm happy with my result. I OCed my i7 920 to 3.2ghz (153x21 VCORE 1.093v) It runs pretty cool, 58C at 100% load, and stable with my air cooler. So right now, if I understand this correctly, my RAM is currently running at 1224hmz? (Memory Divider (8) x BCLK (153) = RAM Speed (1224hmz))? Also my latency, as are set to auto in my bios are currently 9-9-9-24...

Well my RAM kit is rated for 1600hmz, and I'd like to get it to as close to that as possible. So can I just manually go in, change my Memory Divider to 10, change my UNCORE to x20 and manually drop my latency to 8-8-8-24 and leave voltages on auto? I think at auto my VDIMM is 1.5v. Could this possibly damage my RAM in anyway? I think this is proper but I am unsure and not confident enough to just give it a go and see what happens.

Also, if I did that and it worked properly my ram would be running at 1530hmz? Is there a way to get it to 1600hmz even with my BCLK like that or do I have to disable turbo on my processor and set my BCLK to 160? I just like my temps where they are now and if I raised my BCLK I think I'd have to raise my VCORE voltage to maintain stability which would in-turn raise my CPU temps.

Any input would be extremely helpful. Thanks in advance.

So then give it a go? Hmm ok I'll see what happens...

Also, if I leave my BCLK at 153 and change all those settings and my RAM does run at 1530hmz, would there be any noticeable difference from what it is running at now? And would there be much of a difference from 1530hmz to 1600? Probably negligible huh?

I figured I'd like to get it going at 1600mhz even so I changed my BCLK to 160 and upped voltages a tad, I'm stability testing and then gonna back down to get lowest possible voltage on VCORE.

Any idea if turbo mode adds a lot of heat? If not, then I'll just leave it on and rock a 3.36ghz OC.

I would set to a 14 X multiplier and 200 BCLK with 1.40v, 1600 9-9-9-24 1T @ 1.66v, QPI/Voltage to 1.53v.

That brings you to 2.8Ghz. Test for stability and reboot raising your multiplier to 15. If you can pass full stability 24/7 with Auto X 200 with HT Enabled (on good air) then you are luckier than <insert blatant opinion> ~85%.

However, many can make 20 X 200 (Turbo Disabled) with HT Disabled and the above stability testing.

I personally like Auto X 180 (Turbo Enabled) with HT Enabled. I run 24/7 with 3.8Ghz (20 - 22) and 895 X 2 ~= 1792 @ 9-9-924 1T at 1.66v. It's stable and fast enough for anything I do. I can decode and reconvert compressed avi rle video to DVD standard and ready to burn in 7-8 minutes.

With an E8500 @ 4.3GHz and 1600C7 @ 7-6-6-16 it took over twenty minutes.

Fast enough for me, and this is not the best of chips. :D: You probably can drop voltages. These machines run very hot at full load but the thing is that the CPU is smart enough (When commanded by core logic) to move from core on thread by thread to make the cores dance (For want of a better term) like barefoot tapdancers on the hot cement. :): So, it's not like they will ever be put in such a configuration as LinX (or such) core testing. I don't fold with this machine.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/now-3.jpg

Well my circumstances have changed a bit, I wanna roll with a BCLK of 160x21, it comes out to about 3.38ghz, when I go in and change my memory divider to 2:10, it won't even get into windows, I get a BSoD before I get into windows so I am guessing it is a lack of voltage problem? I have everything set on auto.

If I try it with BCLK 153x21, 3.2ghz, when I change my memory divider to 2:10, I can get into windows. I did a little bit of stability testing, nothing major.

Any input on voltages I should change? Im new to overclocking in general and I know even less about OCing RAM.

Update to the newest BIOS that allows for XMP settings. Then set to XMP and raise your BCLK to 160.

Here's a calculator to help you, but sometimes memory settings will not marry and doubly so on the EVGA boards. Keep in mind that the DRAMs speed comes from the ratio of BClock and multiplier. This multiplier must be less than half that of the Uncore’s multiplier for stability.

http://icrontic.com/downloads/nehalem-overclocking-calculator

This multiplier must be less than half that of the Uncore’s multiplier for stability.

so that means if I am running a memory divider of 2:10 I have to run a uncore of at least x21?

Also I'd like to flash the bios but I've never done it before and I am a little unsure.. if I do something wrong it could erase my bios and I'd have a busted board ehh?

I read the instructions on the EVGA site, how to make a CD with the ISO of the file on it, which I did with a program it suggested, Magic ISO. So I just go in, change my primary boot device to optical drive, put the CD in and restart the computer?

Use the calculator.

so that means if I am running a memory divider of 2:10 I have to run a uncore of at least x21?
Use the calculator.

Also I'd like to flash the bios but I've never done it before and I am a little unsure.. if I do something wrong it could erase my bios and I'd have a busted board ehh?

I read the instructions on the EVGA site, how to make a CD with the ISO of the file on it, which I did with a program it suggested, Magic ISO. So I just go in, change my primary boot device to optical drive, put the CD in and restart the computer?

Yes.

Ok, I flashed BIOS, it well fine, I went in and changed to the XMS memory profile and put my BCLK to 160 but jesus my idle CPU temps shot up 5C? I haven't even tried to stress test it yet.. Im gonna give it a go and I'll report what my findings are, but if my temps are crazy high and I can't figure out how to run my RAM at 1600mhz with better temps I'll just run it at 1224mhz or whatever... I don't have a good feeling about this...

The i7 is a hot processor. At full load with LinX stability testing, I can make 90C at 3.8Ghz HT and Turbo Enabled. 3.8Ghz with HT disabled brings me down to 78C. I use C-State and C-7 to keep my nominal idle temperatures down even further.

Ok, I flashed BIOS, it well fine, I went in and changed to the XMS memory profile and put my BCLK to 160 but jesus my idle CPU temps shot up 5C? I haven't even tried to stress test it yet.. Im gonna give it a go and I'll report what my findings are, but if my temps are crazy high and I can't figure out how to run my RAM at 1600mhz with better temps I'll just run it at 1224mhz or whatever... I don't have a good feeling about this...

I have been out of town since saturday so I havent been able to stabilty test the ram sticks since I used the XPS setting but I bet the load temps are going to go 80C+ on my CPU since the voltages have been increaced, specifically the CPU VTT voltage, I think that and the DIMM voltages were the only voltages that went up.

You guys know if I can just leave the DIMM voltage up and drop the CPU VTT back down to stock voltages so I don't reduce the longetivy of my CPU? if not then I am seriously considering letting my ram run at 1224hmz.

Will there be a noticable difference between 1224hmz and 1600hmz?

Try it and find out. The CPU VTT is the DRAM termination values at the memory controller. I run mine at 1.52v and have since I bought my 1866Mhz memory. CPU VTT will not increase the temperature of your CPU by much if anything. The CPU voltage will.

You have to decide what you want to do with your system. I can't tell you.

Will there be a noticable difference between 1224hmz and 1600hmz?

I got home, finally... I haven't been able to do anything yet just jumped in to check what was going on...

If it wasn't the CPU VTT voltage going up that all of a sudden upped my CPU temps what was it? DIMM voltage? I don't think the memory running faster would increase my CPU temps...

Well I went in and manually changed ram timings to 8-8-8-24 and memory divider to 2:10.

CPU BCLK at 160, VCORE Voltage 1.125 with a +250mv to the VTT and DIMM voltage at 1.625 with uncore at x21.

I took turbo mode off though.

Seems stable, I've ran Prime95 and memtest for over an hour each without problems and my CPU temps are within acceptable range IMO, 65Cish 100% load on CPU and somewhere in the mid to high 50's while gaming, so... Im happy... Im gonna go turn turbo mode back on and see what my temps are at, we'll see what happens...

I got home, finally... I haven't been able to do anything yet just jumped in to check what was going on...

If it wasn't the CPU VTT voltage going up that all of a sudden upped my CPU temps what was it? DIMM voltage? I don't think the memory running faster would increase my CPU temps...

Test it out. Set your system to stock and Auto. Then test your temps with the same program you will use for the entire test. Increase CPU Vtt and nothing else. Remember though, you want to keep the CPU VTT : Memory Voltage (notice that the increase is relative to both The CPU Memory Controller and Memory Controller speed) ie. .5v

Now, if nothing else is changed, there will be an increase in temps, but the differential will not be as great as an increase in the CPU voltage.

When I increase both the CPU VTT Voltage and the Speed/Latencies that the controller/memory will interface with I then increase the speed and latencies I will then create more heat due to the increased speed (drive) and decreased latency switches (electronic doors opening and closing faster) and this will most certainly increase the thermals.

This Intel IMC (Integrated Memory Controller) is still quite unknown and reacts to tightly strapped values with quirky outcomes. Prior to this integrated memory controller there were more concretely defined voltages ie. this circuit and x volts, that circuit and those volts. Now the voltage is far more dependent on subsidiary components in the stream.

This is a different architecture as well and can not be determined with the view that Core 2 and Core i7 are much alike. They are far different beasts indeed. The Core 2 45nm Quad had an Intel SPec Maximum Voltage of 1.225v. The Core 2 45nm Quad/HT has an Intel SPec Maximum Voltage of 1.50v for the i7 C0/C1 revisions. There is information showing that the next iteration/revision might well need more voltage than this revision which is far different than the revisioning of Core 2.

At any rate, the voltages are not the important factor. The thermal output and the relationship between the CPU <--> Memory Controller <--> Memory. The motherboard northbridge is now a simple conduit conductor.

The prevailing view is that an 85C full load of 4 Core and HT Units enabled is a maximum. I run with an 81C full load of 4 Core and HT Units enabled with C-State C7 enabled.

As well, Prime95 does not stress these CPU's as it runs 50% on the cores and you have to create extra folders, set associations and run two Prime95 programs. LinX is a full CPU stressing program and will give you a real testing program.

Download LinX - Linpack that will run on Core i7 8 threads fullbore.

Download LinX from-->

Download Realtemp from

Run Linpack for full memory (1) and use a 5 pass iteration. Run Real Temp and watch the temperatures. Let the Linpack program run for the full 5 passes. The output in the screen will give you five sets of values for Residual <norm>. They should be identical for a stable CPU and DRAM.

Be sure to turn off your screensavers, display settings that turn the monitor off for this test.

I'll download that program and give it a run but I am COMPLETELY happy with what i got going now, Im running 20x161 in BIOS which comes out to like 160.2-160.5 in windows. I have turbo mode off, Im running around 3.212hmz at 1606hmz and seems to be running pretty stable, I have bee running stability tests on it for well over an hour+ now...

I ran FC2 benchmark now and my FPS jumped like 10+ with my ram running at 1600hmz so I happy. Im running like 62-65C at full load on my CPU and mid 50's gaming, like 55-57C. I am really shooting for longevity of the CPU and performance, 3.2ghz Im happy with as it is the stock speed of the 965 and my ram is running stable at 1600hmz now so...

This being my first build from the ground up, it really was a long process with RMAs and all and a HUGE learning experience but I am glad I did it and I am happy with the results.

Thanks a ton guys for all your input, I couldn't have done it without you guys... Im gonna go do what I built this machine for... GAME! I'll check back later! Peace!

Yes, you will be fine at those settings. A 3.2Ghz I7 is no slouch. Time to enjoy it :D:

I'll download that program and give it a run but I am COMPLETELY happy with what i got going now, Im running 20x161 in BIOS which comes out to like 160.2-160.5 in windows. I have turbo mode off, Im running around 3.212hmz at 1606hmz and seems to be running pretty stable, I have bee running stability tests on it for well over an hour+ now...

I ran FC2 benchmark now and my FPS jumped like 10+ with my ram running at 1600hmz so I happy. Im running like 62-65C at full load on my CPU and mid 50's gaming, like 55-57C. I am really shooting for longevity of the CPU and performance, 3.2ghz Im happy with as it is the stock speed of the 965 and my ram is running stable at 1600hmz now so...

This being my first build from the ground up, it really was a long process with RMAs and all and a HUGE learning experience but I am glad I did it and I am happy with the results.

Thanks a ton guys for all your input, I couldn't have done it without you guys... Im gonna go do what I built this machine for... GAME! I'll check back later! Peace!

I couldn't be more happy with the way this PC is running... It is blazing fast compared to my old Pentium 4, GeForce 5200, and 2 gigs of ddr, I have been gaming out of control at high settings on everything and I love it.

Thanks for all the help guys, all I really wanna do now, is maybe upgrade my cooler, Im thinking about a Noctua cooler, and some LED fans, maybe a cold cathode strip or two inside...

Also, my power supply is alright but the cables suck for cable management, I want to get a Corsair 1000hx but the last one I got was dead form factory and I RMAed it back to Newegg, I ended up settling with a Ultra X3 850watt.

Thanks again guys!

Take a look at the Thermalright Ultra Xtreme 120 1336.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/ultrax120.jpg

I couldn't be more happy with the way this PC is running... It is blazing fast compared to my old Pentium 4, GeForce 5200, and 2 gigs of ddr, I have been gaming out of control at high settings on everything and I love it.

Thanks for all the help guys, all I really wanna do now, is maybe upgrade my cooler, Im thinking about a Noctua cooler, and some LED fans, maybe a cold cathode strip or two inside...

Also, my power supply is alright but the cables suck for cable management, I want to get a Corsair 1000hx but the last one I got was dead form factory and I RMAed it back to Newegg, I ended up settling with a Ultra X3 850watt.

Thanks again guys!

Zip ties? Tsk tsk. Derek, if you're using the TRUE on the PC in your spec, what are your temps?

Idle I make 36/33/37/35. On full LinX load I make an easy 80C. That's with Full Turbo and HT enabled.

No gaming shows a load greater than 65%. Multiplexing a 700MB AVI to DVD Format is no greater than 60%.

Two fans set to full when testing with LinX and low on all other instances.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh293/DerekT2008/CIMG0688.jpg

No more zip ties. Just used them until I got the second set of clips :):

I'm at 180 X 21 now that the new BIOS allows the 21 multiplier on all 8 threads.

Archived