Corsair Community

Corsair One i164 Bluescreens

Hello,

I bought my i164 about 10 months ago, running Windows 10 and so far the experience was great.

A about 1-2 weeks ago, I started getting repetitive BSoDs.

Sometimes the PC would just blink back into boot.

Sometimes a BSoD would appear for a quick second, not even enough for me to see what is the error, and afterwards there is no memory dump to explore.

Sometimes the UI would crash, things like start menu, chrome, becoming unresponsive followed by a crash or freeze.

Today things got worse, with the BSoD taking me directly to bios. After choosing 'exit', bios menu shows up again. Only after turning the PC off and back on I managed to boot back into Windows.

These happen multiple times a day, not related to the PC getting hot or under stress, sometimes when I'm not even using it. On the contrary, it has yet to crash when I play video intensive game.

I fear this is the SSD failing. Or otherwise a bad driver.

I tried rolling back to Nvidia drivers from 3 months ago but still having the same issue.

Can anyone recommend how to identify and debug this issue? trying to figure out the cause of this but not sure where to start.

Thanks,

• 4 months later...

I have a customer that had the exact same issue Corsair One i164. The pm981 fails to be recognized by bios and the computer will not boot. Sometimes it comes back after power cycling, but blue screens upon boot. I fixed it by replacing the nvme and reinstalling windows. Its not an easy teardown, but definitely possible.

The old drive was randomly disconnecting. Lenovo uses the same drive and released a firmware in march of 2021. mzvlb1t0halr is the model number of the nvme. I hate to see such a new NVME failing so soon when its likely firmware. I also wish corsair would provide an update for this since its an oem drive and you cant get the update from samsung.

I have the same problem ,i140 ,bought it about 1year 6 months ago,sometimes bios can't detect the m.2 ssd,its hard to tell is hardware or software problem .Just bought 1T samsung 970 evo plus today and will install to the pc later this week to test

I also have the same issue on an i64, did complete software reset and it worked fine for a while, then after a few weeks of mild usage, have the same problem. Can anyone confirm that swapping the m.2 ssd fixed the issue? I'm also seeing 0 or no rpms on the system fan in the bios page, would this be a sensor issue?

I also have the same issue on an i64, did complete software reset and it worked fine for a while, then after a few weeks of mild usage, have the same problem. Can anyone confirm that swapping the m.2 ssd fixed the issue? I'm also seeing 0 or no rpms on the system fan in the bios page, would this be a sensor issue?

I just changed new m.2 ssd (samsung 970 evo 1T)clean installed win 10 few days ago,and it works fine ,I think changed the ssd fixed the problem,how about your system fan information in icue software ?

Edited by twjong

I just changed new m.2 ssd (samsung 970 evo 1T)clean insatll win 10 few days ago,and it works fine ,I think changed the ssd fixed the problem in my caes,how about your system fan information in icue software ?

Unfortunately I get the BSOD before getting to a stage where I can install the icue software, only thing I have access to is bios, and maybe 30 seconds inside windows before the system freezes/BSOD. I've contacted corsair support to see what they think since it should still be under warranty.

I have just started have these issues again myself. Unfortunately this is on a replacement i65 that I got because the previous one was also getting the BSOD/missing m2 drive issue.

I've put in another warranty ticket, hopefully I can switch to a more reliable model.

I have the same issue ever since I bought te PC in 2020. At this moment BSOD every 5-10 minutes. Just cannot use my (expensive) PC anymore (Corsair One I164)

Brought it back to the vendor last year and they said they could not find the problem. For a while I could live with it as it only happened once or twice a day. However since 1 1/2 month the BSOD is showing every 5-10 minutes. Created a ticket but replacement is not possible as Corsair does not have the same system in stock. A suggestion to upgrade to another system and pay for the difference was rejected and a refund was no option either.

Meanwhile I have performed a clean install of windows several times and reset the CMOS by using the reset button at the back of the machine (adviced by Corsair). Both without succes

Result is that I have an expensive PC standing on my desk which is completely useless. Fortunately I have a laptop I can use. When the system is replaced is hard to tell according Corsair. Can take weeks or maybe months. I am extremely dissapointed in Corsair as my suggestions are rejected. No refund, no upgrade options for a more reliable model. It is what I call a High end useless PC with a low end Corsair Service. In my view not how you should treat customers who are willing to pay thousands of euro's (3800 to be precise) for a PC.

Edited by JohnvW

I'm also getting these random blue screens, since April 25th. They usually happen shortly after logging into Windows. This morning it happened after 20 minutes and the second happened after 13 minutes.

I've also been stuck in a bios loop but I've found that using Save & Exit will boot to Windows. If I use Discard & Exit it simply comes back into the bios again and again.

I also have the blue screens that flash too fast and do not create a dump file. In the event viewer I can see that the source is volmgr and the general details are "Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.".

I tested my Nvme just in case and it has passed with flying colors each time using the Corsair Diagnostic (aka PC-Doctor) and I've also installed CrystalDiskInfo and this gave my SSD a rating of 99% condition with 10TB of written data so this looks good.

I work in IT and I remember that with Windows 10 version 1803 we had many blue screens at work with new Surface Pro tablets that had Intel SSDs in them. Microsoft had to release a kb to resolve the issue. For those interested this is the KB: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/may-23-2018-kb4100403-os-build-17134-81-97f7d027-e86c-0a27-c142-9684ab8cb2c6

Once this was installed on our managed environment and assets received it, the blue screens stopped happening. So I am inclined to believe that something similar is happening here. An update that Microsoft pushed doesn't like our Nvme Samsung PM961. And yes that would also cause the SSD's to "stop working or repeatedly enter a UEFI screen after restart".

I find this odd that this is happening to many of us all of a sudden with the same exact specs. And although yes replacing the Nvme could resolve the issue, if my theory is correct, I do not believe that this is an efficient resolution, nor cost effective.

I think it's important that we all open tickets with Corsair as indicated above by the Corsair rep and to send bug reports to Microsoft using the feedback app in Windows 10 so Microsoft is made aware. The rule in IT support is you always deal with an issue as a one off, meaning that there is likely something happening with that particular computer/windows. It's when you start getting multiple cases of the same thing that you start investigating the trend as a general problem.

Edited by bazwelle

• 3 weeks later...

I also did the same and replaced my M2 with a 970 Evo Plus. I realized it was the M2 failing when I couldn't boot anymore and trying to install Windows 10 from a USB key would fail while I was above 30% installed status. The error would be "Error 0X800701B1 'A device which does not exist was specified'" thus the M2 failing.

Since replacing it with 970 Evo Plus, everything is fine for now 2 weeks. We've seen a lot of people indicating the same thing so I'm hoping it's a defect with the line of the original M2 and not something else causing early failure such as heat from the GPU in a Corsair One.

• 2 weeks later...

Final update for my i64, my reseller could not fix the problem and gave me a refund for the full amount as it was still under warranty.

If anyone is still having issues, these are the suggestions from Corsair support (note that these did not work in my particular situation):

Clear any OC's you have, try booting into safe mode, if that doesnt work it may be a hardware defect.

Also try to clear CMOS using the following instructions:

1. Unplug the power cord from the unit.

2. At the rear of the unit, locate the small button that reads "Clear CMOS"

3. Press and hold "Clear CMOS" for 25 seconds and release.

4. Reconnect the power cable and power on the system.

Resetting windows was another suggestion:

1. When putting up your PC, press the F8 key to go to the Recovery menu.

2. Choose the Troubleshoot

3. Select whether you want to reset while keeping your files or reset while removing your files.

4. Continue with the reset

• Like 1

Guest techildllc
Final update for my i64, my reseller could not fix the problem and gave me a refund for the full amount as it was still under warranty.

Seems like buying for a reseller is the way to go! At least they will give you a refund as long as its under warranty. Corsair will probably just drag their feet and try to "repair" it.

Seems like buying for a reseller is the way to go! At least they will give you a refund as long as its under warranty. Corsair will probably just drag their feet and try to "repair" it.

And tell you they are sending back the repaired machine... but send you back a scuffed and scratched 'refurbished' unit (See here)

• Corsair Employee
And tell you they are sending back the repaired machine... but send you back a scuffed and scratched 'refurbished' unit (See here)

This should not have made it through our process, we've notified support to also look further into this. Thank you for working our Escalations Manager directly during this process.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought mine in January of 2020, had to replace twice with RMA because of this very issue. My current machine is the third one now, and got it this April, after wasting weeks waiting for it. Now again got BSoD without dump files twice last two days. Dreading that the issue will be occurring again, going to get more frequent somehow. I am perplexed that Corsair cares so little about such an obvious flaw in their system, and OK with wasting money replacing these machines. I guess overall they earn money waiting till the warranties expire? There must be a firmware update, or some solution rather than RMA all the time.

Thank you Corsair for making us feel so terrible as customers, I will never buy from you, and will never buy a pre-built computer. Thank you for teaching me a lesson.

Obviously dont want to beat a dead horse but I am having similar issues on my Corsair i145. I submitted a warranty claim but I am 5 days in with no response (ticket number is 2004433772).

I worked with Corsair support back in April and couldn't figure out why I am getting random resets, bios loops, and BSOD. The typical BSOD's happen so fast that a dump log isnt created. Right now my machine, which I work off of, is stuck in a bios cycle. I provided a detailed explanation for the issues along with timestamps, purchase receipt, and model/serial numbers. I also did a complete wipe of windows with the problem coming back 2 weeks after that happened. I want to setup an advanced replacement but cant get an email back. I have also tried to call PC customer support but the calls fails after 2 rings saying "user busy".

I am realistic and know hardware issues can happen. However I am stuck in a pattern where I cant get a hold of anyone (by far the most frustrating part). Any help would be appreciated.

Good luck getting any help even if you can get a hold of anyone. I opened my ticket on May 20th for a black screening i7200 pc. Return packaging kit was allegedly "sent to my address" on May 24th. And since then it's been a game of back and forth with sometimes more than a week between emails for them to tell me to keep waiting for an update. CorsairTravis on Reddit informed me that they were considering "abandoning the original plan and going with an Advanced RMA" for me on June 24th. I followed up via email making that request formal same day. I haven't heard anything back.

This was my experience as well. I opened a ticket within 2 weeks of owning the system, and it would be days between replies. The support tech didn't understand that I was reporting that a software bug was turning off my fans and causing an overheat situation. He instead kept trying to blame it on the weather. When I finally got him to understand, he filed a bug report with the iCUE team and closed the issue as 'Solved' even though the issue was never actually solved.

I wish you luck with the RMA... when they wanted to do an ARMA for my BIOS issue it failed. They wanted to put a hold on my credit card. The first attempt failed and they said the credit card denied it. I called my credit card company (Chase), and they said they didn't deny it. I verified the billing address from the order with Chase and they said it was correct. I informed them that I would be re-attempting the purchase.

They put in a second ARMA, and again they said the card was denied. I called Chase and again they said that they had approved the transaction and Corsair just didn't take the funds. I went back to Corsair with this information and they stuck to their guns saying it was the credit card company that denied it. They offered me two options... normal RMA or try the ARMA a third and final time. If it was denied again then they wouldn't RMA my system at all, even though it was under warranty.

I need a computer because I work from home full time, and I had told them this, which is why I tried to do the ARMA. I ended up having to build an entirely new system so that I could get the system RMA'd. Luckily I had spare parts and my brother had an old NVIDIA 1050.

When they got the system they ended up replacing the cooler and the SSD. The cooler may or may not have needed replacement as the errors may have been caused by the AMD x570 bug I was trying to get a BIOS update for. Despite me explicitly asking several times if they updated the BIOS, they never answered my question. I will never know if they actually tested the cooler with updated BIOS, as the machine they sent back to me was not the machine they sent back to me. They sent back a dirty, scuffed, and scratched refurbished system. I booted the system in to the BIOS, and this refurbished unit did not have the latest BIOS. I immediately shut the system down, but it back in the box and listed it for sale on eBay never having booted it.

Corsair's Award winning support is a participation award. Do not buy a system from them. If you bought a system from them and it is still in the return window... return it. Their machines are overpriced and under-supported. Stay Far Far away from this company.

• Like 1

I love Corsair products but their pc support is extremely subpar. Still no response but fortunately have an extended warranty that offered to repair it. If they can’t repair it or I have to send it back again they will reimburse me in full. I would say use a third party extended warranty service if purchasing one of their systems until things get sorted out. I’m pissed because I love the look and design of the machine.