Corsair Community

2 of 3 fans not being lit by iCUE

Kastoryno

Hello everyone! I just built a new PC, set everything up just fine but i'm having trouble getting the RGB lights to work correctly.

This is what i got:

2x ML140 RGB on the front side + Lighting node pro + Hub

1x ML140 RGB on the back side

1x Commander Pro

1x H115i

2x Vengeance RGB rams

I connected the Commander Pro's USB port to one of the USB ports on the mainboard. I then connected the 4-pin connectors of the fans to the Commander.

Then i connected the lighting node's USB connector to one of the commander's available ports. (i have also connected the front usb ports to the commander, since i only have 2 ports on the mainboard and the other one is already used up) I also connected the 3 fan's led connectors to the Lighting Hub and the into the Lighting Node Pro's port 1.

I then installed Corsair Link and iCue. Everything is detected in both softwares, the commander autodetected the 3 fans.

I have then set up the Lighting node: on channel 1, i selected "ML Fan" and 3 units. However, only 1 fan is actually lit up, fan n°3, the rear one. I can't seem to get the other ones to work, even by switching them in the Hub.

It looks as if the front fans leds are not working at all, even if i connect only those. Are they both faulty?

What am i doing wrong? Everything else, AOI cooler, rams, GPU is lighting up correctly.

All softwares are up to date, and the firmwares too.

First, I'd just use the CoPro. It'll keep things simpler.

Second, do all fans work in port #1? Does Instant Lighting do anything?

Here's the thing - the fans operate in series, passing the data signal from one to the next to the next. So one fan can take the rest down. Now, it's entirely possible for a fan to light up but not pass the signal to the next fan. So you need to keep that in mind when switching them around. If the same fan has always been in port #1, even though it lights up, that could be the one misbehaving.

Yes, i had read about the fans being controlled in series. Actually, i also tried switching the ports, but this is what happens:

Let's say fan#1 is the one lighting up, and #2 and #3 don't.

If i put #2 in port 1, no fans light up, same happens if i put #3 in port 1. The only way i can get something to work is by putting #1 in port 1, which gets #1 to light up.

I suspected having fan #2 or #3 faulted, which could stop the series, but even by plugging ONLY #2 or #3 in port 1 or 2, they don't light up. I think i might just have to replace them...

side note: fans #2 and #3 are the ones that came bundled with the lighting hub and lighting node