Corsair Community

CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 MTS temperature via the SMBus

red-ray

New parts added to the chart above and on our website:

• CMD32GX4M4A2400C14

Is it expected that some CMD32GX4M4A2400C14s will report the MTS temperature via the SMBus and other CMD32GX4M4A2400C14s will not?

I have just received a SIV save file from a system with 4 x CMD32GX4M4A2400C14 and one and only one of the four reports a MTS temperature via the SMBus. The one that does has the ST Micro STTS2004 2.2 V memory module temperature sensor with a 4 Kb SPD EEPROM.

Is that 4 MODULES or 4 KITS (16 modules) ? If the latter, do you mean one kit out of 4 reports MTS temperature?

It's not my system but it only has 4 DIMMs in total. I assume they were bought as a kit of 4 DIMMs, but would need to confirm this.

Since they're all matched in the factory, I'd think that all 4 modules in a kit are made identically. If so, I suspect that he either has an odd man out (error in the factory), or doesn't have a matched kit and purchased them separately.

• 3 weeks later...

The Dominator Platinum kit discussed here is my kit.

I contacted Corsair in an attempt to get a matched set where all four would report the temps, instead of just one out of the four reporting the temp.

Corsair support did not feel that this was design defect, so they rejected my RMA request.

Here is the response that I received for those of you who are interested or have the same situation:

"LINK support is part of the messaging for Dominator Platinum product family, and both the old and recent DPs have not departed from this. We recently updated new hardware (EEPROM that has native temp support) on DP PCBA allowing C-LINK to read temp status through motherboard BIOS; hence the parametric port is no longer needed. Given that here is no defect in design for both old and new, this would not qualify for RMA."

"LINK support is part of the messaging for Dominator Platinum product family, and both the old and recent DPs have not departed from this.
  1. We recently updated new hardware (EEPROM that has native temp support) on DP PCBA
  2. allowing C-LINK to read temp status through motherboard BIOS; hence the parametric port is no longer needed.
  3. Given that here is no defect in design for both old and new, this would not qualify for RMA.

When I read the reply from Corsair Support I felt is technically incorrect.

1. The ST Micro STTS2004 2.2 V memory module temperature sensor with a 4 Kb SPD EEPROM data can only be accessed via an SMBus.
  2. CL4 does not read the temperature through the motherboard BIOS, it reads it via either the PCH SMBus or one of the IMC SMBuses.
  3. The issue is not a design issue but rather a mismatched set of DIMMs which is a production error so Corsair should have actioned the RMA.

I suspect that he either has an odd man out (error in the factory)

• 3 weeks later...

I am back to update everyone on the status of this issue.

After Technobeard advised that he was going to look into this, Corsair wanted to see photographs of all of the modules. After sending photos of the label side of the modules, Corsair wanted photographs of the other side, specifically to see the "parametric port."

The product manager then advised that my kit is, "unlikely to use the EEPROM that supports thermal readout and that the issue is not with the RAM."

After looking at my photographs of the RAM modules, I noticed that three of the modules had a different number than the fourth module, so I asked, "If my kit is supposed to be a matched kit, why do three of the RAM modules have the numbers "50-002377" and one module has the number "50-002365" on it? This difference in the numbers can be seen in photograph 767." Corsair wanted to know if the 2365 module was the one reporting the temperature, to which I responded that it was one of the three 2377 modules that was reporting the temperature.

Corsair answered with, "That would be a question for the software company as there is not communication between the hardware and software. I believe the software picked up some temp from BIOS and thinks it is RAM."

At that point, I was getting more confused, so I asked the following: "My most recent question on this ticket was as follows: "If my kit is supposed to be a matched kit, why do three of the RAM modules have the numbers "50-002377" and one module has the number "50-002365" on it? This difference in the numbers can be seen in photograph 767." This question was not addressed yet.

Also, the most recent response that you received (and posted on 03/22/2016) was as follows: "That would be a question for the software company as there is not communication between the hardware and software. I believe the software picked up some temp from BIOS and thinks it is RAM." Please clarify this. As I mentioned in the initial description on this ticket, " I have attached two screenshots. The first screen shot shows the temperature reported via for the DIMM in slot[12], but not for the other three DIMMS. The second screenshot shows the temperature reported after I switched the DIMMs on the motherboard. The temp for only one DIMM is reported in the DIMM in slot [8]." So the reported temperature seems to be coming from one of the memory DIMMs as it follows that particular DIMM and is reported via whatever DIMM slot that memory module is in. I am not understanding how, "the software picked up some temp from BIOS and thinks it is RAM." if the reported temperature follows to whatever DIMM slot that module is in."

Corsair responded back, "The lot codes are identical and are a matching set. The number that you are referring to is a PCB number and not an identifying factor. Here is the product manager's response after copying your previous inquiry. This is all the information I have to provide. "For these modules they are designed to work only with Corsair LINK commander via Airflow Pro device, we have not tested outside of this scope; especially with third party software. From the lot#s, these modules are built identical."

And that is where it stands as of yesterday.

P1020752.thumb.JPG.24b7948cea373f67858b3f60bef007a1.JPG

P1020767.thumb.JPG.b5b13e51973f08c5ba43f8bb54482c7b.JPG

"That would be a question for the software company as there is not communication between the hardware and software. I believe the software picked up some temp from BIOS and thinks it is RAM."

I am 100% sure that SIV read the temperature from the STTS2004 via the SMBus. Below is the dump of the registers. If they think it came via the BIOS then all I can say is that they are incorrect.

You can also look at the Menu->Hardware->SPD Thermal panel. You can also look at the Menu->System->SMB Bus panel which shows 4 x SPD + 1 x TMP.

I also suspect CL v4.2.1.42 will report one DIMM temperature.

attachment.php?attachmentid=24743&stc=1&d=1458769642

828694514_STTS2004viatheSMBus.thumb.png.729f9b970378645161dcfdb11122ea34.png

• 2 weeks later...

So I really don't know where to go from here.

In order to test if the temps could be read by what Corsair is calling an "Airflow Pro device," I am assuming that they are saying that I would need the Dominator Airflow Platinum LED Fan, since it seems to be the only thing compatible with the Dominator Platium ram. But I would need two of them, since my ram is installed on an X99 motherboard. So I would be out $100 to test if this would even work.

I am surprised that Corsair wouldn't authorize an RMA on this. I would have thought they they would be curious to see why one module can report the temperature, but not the others. It could have assisted them in making sure this issue did not occur with other matched sets. I even offered to send the modules back at my own cost.

Corsair has been very good with their customer support on my other RMAs, so I am a disappointed that what could have been a very valuable research experience for them, and a great customer relations gesture, has resulted in seven weeks of back and forth postings to my RMA ticket, and no resolution for anyone.

So I really don't know where to go from here.

I would check what CL 4.2.2.27 reports and take it from there.

I expect it will report one DIMM temperature and if it does feel Corsair sould have little option but to RMA the 4 DIMMs.

My assumption is based on logic, so may not apply to Corsair.

I would check what CL 4.2.2.27 reports and take it from there.

I expect it will report one DIMM temperature and if it does feel Corsair sould have little option but to RMA the 4 DIMMs.

My assumption is based on logic, so may not apply to Corsair.

I think that I may have left out one of the responses by Corsair. It is as follows: "In order for all modules to be read in the Corsair Link software an Airflow Pro is needed to connect to a Commander Mini unit. Unfortunately the latest version of CL software no longer supports the Airflow Pro which means you would need to use version 3.2."

So, it seems' that Corsair saying that the only way all of the temps will be read is if I use an "Airflow Pro device." I am assuming that the temps are being reported only through the parametric port, and that is what the Airflow Pro device connects to.

So even if I get an Airflow Pro device, I have to use an outdated version of Corsair Link to make it work.

OK, so are they are saying it's impossible for CL 4.2.2.27 to report any of your DIMM temperatures?

Suck it and see! I expect it will report 1 of 4.

But even if it reports one temp (and based on what you have been saying here, it seems that it may report only one temp), that still doesn't solve the problem with my matched set.

But even if it reports one temp (and based on what you have been saying here, it seems that it may report only one temp), that still doesn't solve the problem with my matched set.

Yes, but if it reports one rather than four how can they be a matched set as CL4 should report none as you don't have a "Airflow Pro device"?

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to add a final update to this issue.

I ended up purchasing a different set of Corsair Dominator Platinum RAM. I bought this kit - CMD32GX4M4A2400C12.

After installing the new kit, I noted that all of the DIMMs reported their temperature. Temperatures for all of the DIMMs of this new kit were able to be viewed via the SIV software and HWiNFO64.

I advised Corsair support about this, and with a bit more coaxing by me, they honored my initial RMA request. I sent my original kit back to them (the kit that only reported one of the three DIMM temps) and they sent me a new kit to replace it. Bravo Corsair!

Archived