Corsair Community

Need help with new h100i platinum

Dakneey

So I've just built a brand new computer with a msi z390-a pro motherboard, and I bought the beautiful h100i platinum as my cooler. I watched many videos and read the manual before installation so I'm 100% I've configured it correctly. The micro usb is heading from the pump, to Usb header 1, and then 3 pin connector is connected to Cpu Fan1. Now, I noticed when I launch 'Icue' no devices are found. I've tried everything, unplugging the cables, connecting to different sata cables, uninstalling/repairing icue, nothing works. When I go to 'Hwmonitor' I notice that under 'fans' I have cpu. Does that tell me it's working correctly? Nothing lights up after around 20 minutes into a game the fans will come on, the pump is temperamental, sometimes it decides to illuminate sometimes it doesn't. All in all I'm not too bothered about whether or not they illuminate, I'd just like reassurance the cooler is performing how it should!

For now, try quitting HWMonitor, HWiNFO, and/or AIDA. Other programs that try and read the Corsair hardware at the same time as CUE tend to lock things up. This can be erratic or stuck fan speeds, weird lighting, and definitely garbage data values in both applications (216C CPU temp, 43,000 rpm fan speed, etc). You also need to be careful with programs that leave a driver/service active, even when not running. I don't use HWmon very often, but for HWiNFO you must use the portable version - not the installer version. You may need to remove the program and restart the PC if you are not making progress.

That said, USB detection is a complex issue and it may or may not be related to the above. Some x570/B450 AMD owners have difficulty. Your PC specs may matter here.

The reason I need reassuring my cooler is working is because I purchased a whole new build 2 days ago, and built it myself. My i9-9900kf is running 30-35 degrees celcius when idle, which I believe is average, then when I launch a game like Fortnite on low settings, it jumps to the 75-80 range which is rather hot. So I want to know the cooler is doing it's job 100%.

You can get your coolant and CPU temperature through CUE. Those will tell you the cooler's efficiency. If you need to run HWMon, HWiNFO, AIDA, etc. to get more detailed information, quit CUE and it's services from the Task Manager prior to loading the other program. The fan and pump speeds are written to the device, so it will continue doing what it is supposed to do.

Your cooler is working. What you likely need to examine is your Vcore settings, Load Line Calibration, and other BIOS settings (brand dependent). Most of these motherboards come in a somewhat factory overclocked state, using the turbo multiplier for all cores instead of 1 and compensating with large amounts of voltage to guarantee stability on the worst CPU. That will make your CPU immediately hot. A cooler not up for the job will start off fine, but slowly over 30-60 minutes lose out to the watts in vs watts out calculation. When it's instantly hot, it's your voltage.

That’s the problem, my icue isn’t recognizing my cooler, therefore I need to use HWMonitor to check my temps, if my Icue was working I’d be able to set the fans to extreme via the icue software. You sound like you know a lot more than me about computing, I’m a rookie at this haha. So do I need to go into the bios and change voltages etc? What would you recommend?

Did not running HWMon allow the cooler to show in CUE? You might need to restart the CUE service or reboot the machine after quitting HWMon.

The settings to change vary by motherboard brand and each has their own terminology. You have a 9900, probably a Z390 board, but what model? You should be able to get a an actual load Vcore reading from HWMon (not VID - that is different).

USB detection usually isn't an issue on Z390 boards. Make sure your chipset drivers have been updated, reboot, and try again.

Yeah I have a msi z390-a pro motherboard, and no closing HwMonitor and restarting doesn't work, I've tried everything to get my cooler recognised by iCue, do you have a Discord so we can talk easier? I could do with the help. I went into the bios and changed the Vcore voltage from 1.35 to 1.15, and it's dropped the temps quite significantly, I'd love to get the iCue software working so I can put the fans to extreme!

So I've just built a brand new computer with a msi z390-a pro motherboard, and I bought the beautiful h100i platinum as my cooler. I watched many videos and read the manual before installation so I'm 100% I've configured it correctly. The micro usb is heading from the pump, to Usb header 1, and then 3 pin connector is connected to Cpu Fan1. Now, I noticed when I launch 'Icue' no devices are found. I've tried everything, unplugging the cables, connecting to different sata cables, uninstalling/repairing icue, nothing works. When I go to 'Hwmonitor' I notice that under 'fans' I have cpu. Does that tell me it's working correctly? Nothing lights up after around 20 minutes into a game the fans will come on, the pump is temperamental, sometimes it decides to illuminate sometimes it doesn't. All in all I'm not too bothered about whether or not they illuminate, I'd just like reassurance the cooler is performing how it should!

I am wondering if this is a motherboard problem in that have you installed the correct usb drivers for the board?

It doesn't sound like it is operating correctly at all. I don't know the temps for your CPU, I have a 9700K, which is cooler than yours, but for mine normal game playing and the temperature hovers around 45 degree C. And that's on quiet mode for the pump and balanced for the fans.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the mobo itself, it’s brand new. If anything I’d say the temps are so high because the cooler might not be operating correctly. I also knocked it down to low 70s when gaming as I undervolted the cpu from 1.35v to 1.15. The fans and the pump light up on the cooler but icue doesn’t recognize them. So I’m unsure as to whether it’s actually doing what it’s supposed to.

1.15v is going to be pretty close to the Intel specified voltage for the cpu. The 1.35v is not “normal”, other than that’s what you get out of the box on most of those boards with the full turbo frequency applied to all cores. Incidentally, 1.35v is what Asus had listed as the maximum recommended daily voltage limit for overclocking and that’s CPU, not board related. That should give you an idea of where you at for that.

As for the USB detection, it one of the more common general problems. I know you’ve seen the other post on this page with some suggestions and I am not sure I have any beyond that. As it’s a new MB, chipset drivers are the most likely target. Even if you’ve already installed them, you can try again and see if things change. In Windows settings, check to see if the Corsair device is listed. I would also contact Corsair support, but not until after you try the chipset re-install and if possible the USB re-route to the back IO panel. Otherwise support is likely to tell you the same thing.