Corsair Community

High CPU usage on latest versions

Danixu

Hello,

I've noticed that the latest version of iCUE is causing problems with the "system" process on my Windows 10. This problem made the process to use a full core of my processor. This forces the processor to be in turbo mode giving less performance to other tasks, overheating the laptop and draining the battery much faster.

After formatting the laptop because I did not know that was because the iCUE software, I've noticed that the problem was here again, and after a third format checking the usage on every installation I've noticed that it started again after the installation of the iCUE software. I've just uninstalled the software and the problem is gone so I'm sure that is the iCUE software. Just now I've found an older version and problem is not there, so I can tell that is a problem of the latest version.

With-i-CUE-1.png With-i-CUE-2.png Without-i-CUE.png

Is this problem reported already?.

Best regards and thanks.

Edited by Danixu

I'm getting roughly the same thing. Ryzen 3950x with the following devices:

- K70 LUX

- M65 Pro RGB

- Lighting Node Pro (with only lighting channel 1 lit up)

- ASUS Motherboard

Somehow iCue is often using nearly half a core of my CPU. This seems surprisingly high when my colour schemes are pretty basic (motherboard + lighting node based on temperature, mouse random, keyboard lightning effect).

Any advice other than downgrade?

I have Corsair K68 keyboard.

I DON'T WANT "iCUE" running on my computer: this software is bloated---resource consuming with no justification whatsoever---and unintuitive.

The default light of the keyboard is an annoying rainbow pattern that keeps animating. I want to be able to set a simple static color. If you don't think it deserves a button--although you think that a win lock key in a different color is important--then, then give me a simple software that I can run once, set the keyboard color and forget about it.

I searched, and I see that people have been complaining about this for years. I don't get why do I even need to bother and sign up on a forum to ask such a trivial thing about a keyboard.

Corsair team, what's going on with you, why do you ignore the customer?

I expect at least a non-committal--but formal--reply so I have justification for my store to return it. It's a nice keyboard, but it doesn't worth the annoyance, and there are plenty out there.

Edited by zohar

Hello,

I've noticed that the latest version of iCUE is causing problems with the "system" process on my Windows 10. This problem made the process to use a full core of my processor. This forces the processor to be in turbo mode giving less performance to other tasks, overheating the laptop and draining the battery much faster.

Is this problem reported already?.

Most often the root cause of the "single pegged core" or otherwise high CPU usage is a bad install or corrupt element in the setting configurations. There haven't been a lot specific complaints for v3.28 and since has been out several weeks, the complaint thread would be 30 pages long at this point if there was a latent issue. Regardless, you do seem to have one.

It is possible the newer version is conflicting with something else on the machine, but I think the solution is a more simple. You haven't stated what hardware you are running, but this is a laptop so I'll guess KB and/or mouse. Use the older version for now with no issues. KB and mouse integration doesn't change much, unless there is a new release of hardware. You are not losing anything in terms of functionality by using the older version. You can try again with 3.29 or 3.30 and see if things have changed. This is probably one time where it's better not to spend 12 hours trying to trouble shoot this, or at least not 12 hours more. The gain on your end is nil.

• 11 months later...
Most often the root cause of the "single pegged core" or otherwise high CPU usage is a bad install or corrupt element in the setting configurations. There haven't been a lot specific complaints for v3.28 and since has been out several weeks, the complaint thread would be 30 pages long at this point if there was a latent issue. Regardless, you do seem to have one.

It is possible the newer version is conflicting with something else on the machine, but I think the solution is a more simple. You haven't stated what hardware you are running, but this is a laptop so I'll guess KB and/or mouse. Use the older version for now with no issues. KB and mouse integration doesn't change much, unless there is a new release of hardware. You are not losing anything in terms of functionality by using the older version. You can try again with 3.29 or 3.30 and see if things have changed. This is probably one time where it's better not to spend 12 hours trying to trouble shoot this, or at least not 12 hours more. The gain on your end is nil.

Bro same problem here since i have my mouse a few monts ago on 2 of my 3 machines...

on my pc it works fine. On my two different notebooks (intel i5 1035G1 and i7 1165G7) the system process goes up to 30% cpu. when i remove iCue i got 0,0-1%.

on my laptop i stayed with the latest iCUE 3, and went to windows Services to disable basically all the corsair services. They are not needed to run lighting on peripherals. This way there's just the iCUE app running at 1% CPU or lower (i use a K70 keyboard and MM800 mouse pad).

iCUE works okay but the services are an out of control dysfunctional piece of hot garbage, to keep it polite.. so disable these.

On desktop though, where corsair service may be needed for cooling control.. that's another story.

That said if i leave them running, i may top at 5 or 6% CPU which is enough to kill my battery and drive me nuts with fan noises... but not 30%, so you have another problem there