Corsair Community

Corsair LL120 4/6 Fans not working - Windows 10 1903 Update

munixed

Hey everyone,

Experiencing a strange issue since I updated to Windows 10 1903. Over the past week only fans 1 & 2 are lighting up and the other 4 are just blank.

I have re-installed iCue, updated all drivers, tried Corsair Link. Still the same issue.

Also, fan number 1 seems to be working fine, however fan number 2 has the LED in the top right hand corner continuously flashing a different colour. Definitely not natural at all.

Before the update, all 6 fans worked fine.

Does anyone have this issue, or anyone know of any fixes?

Cheers,

Liam.

The fan LEDs are serial, so if LED number #4 on fan 2 has a problem, the show stops there. Standard troubleshooting is to take the lighting wire from fan 2 and swap it with a fan further down the line — like #6. If fans 1-5 are now OK and #6 is erratic, then you likely need a new fan. If things remain exactly the same, then we are likely looking for another cause.

There is definitely an issue with the latest Windows update. While I'm actually running version 1903 now, I updated recently to an 'improved' version of it. The latest version of 1903 wrecks computer.

To be precise, the processor overheats and causes the computer to crash. I rolled back to the earlier version of Windows and it worked perfectly.

I'm sure its the Corsair software because I was watching the heat build-up on the graphing options and it was getting way above nominal temps.

I don't know of any fixes.

Can you be a bit more specific about the temps? Which temps were rising "above nominal temps"? What do you consider "nominal temps"? What temps are you seeing on the processor? What cooler do you have and what's controlling the case fans?

System specs?

Hey everyone,

Experiencing a strange issue since I updated to Windows 10 1903. Over the past week only fans 1 & 2 are lighting up and the other 4 are just blank.

I have re-installed iCue, updated all drivers, tried Corsair Link. Still the same issue.

Also, fan number 1 seems to be working fine, however fan number 2 has the LED in the top right hand corner continuously flashing a different colour. Definitely not natural at all.

Before the update, all 6 fans worked fine.

Does anyone have this issue, or anyone know of any fixes?

Cheers,

Liam.

I've been experiencing a very similar issue during the last few days.

I have 6 LL120 fans, 3 white as exhaust at the top, and 3 black as intake at the side.

While playing a game, with both CPU and GPU under load, one of the 3 white fans started exhibiting strange behaviour after a while. One part has the same colour and the effects are not the same as the other fans.

This has happened a few times already and only with this fan. The strange behaviour goes away if I open iCue and re-select the current profile.

I was thinking this might be a defective fan, but your message makes me think this might be a Windows issue, since I've recently updated too.

I've been experiencing a very similar issue during the last few days.

I have 6 LL120 fans, 3 white as exhaust at the top, and 3 black as intake at the side.

While playing a game, with both CPU and GPU under load, one of the 3 white fans started exhibiting strange behaviour after a while. One part has the same colour and the effects are not the same as the other fans.

This has happened a few times already and only with this fan. The strange behaviour goes away if I open iCue and re-select the current profile.

I was thinking this might be a defective fan, but your message makes me think this might be a Windows issue, since I've recently updated too.

It's 100% not a problem with the hardware. Mate of mine recently updated to 1903 and was experiencing the exact same issue. He was able to revert back the version and it works fine now. Unfortunately I'm unable to revert back as you have to do it within 10 days...

Hopefully Corsair push out an update soon :/

Well, I had a long detailed response for each of you, which the forum vanquished it on submit with 500 service error. Now that is a glitch.

There are three people in this thread all with separate problems.

Munixed - Hopefully you did you due diligence on the fan swap and testing. Most people that have a lighting glitch, problem, corruption, etc. do not lose lighting in a serial fashion. You get unexpected colors and/or changes on top of your lighting, like described in the post above. My suggestion for you is to take the C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair folder and copy it to the desktop. Those are all your lighting and settings. Uninstall iCUE, delete the settings, reinstall. Do not move the App Data folder back yet. Create a new profile and see if the lighting elements are still chopped off at the same point. You could also try using instant lighting right now to see if it turns everything on.

When you "revert back the previous version of Windows", you are doing a system restore. Any corruption that occurred during the Windows install goes away with it. It does not mean iCUE is incompatible and obviously quite a few people are using 1903, iCUE, and LL fans. This is why I prefer to back up and uninstall critical drivers before doing one of these major bi-annual updates, but that is your choice. People on the Fast Ring have been on newer versions of Windows for months with older versions of iCUE. They didn't lose their fan lighting.

sym30I1c - Turn off the SDK in the iCUE app settings and see if that changes things. Also, can you be more specific? Is it all games? One particular game? Do you see it when at the desktop?

Daniel P - No matter what the software is doing, you can't overheat to the point of shutdown without a physical problem or high load. The software can be uninstalled and the cooler settings locked to the lowest level and you still won't hit thermal shutdown unless you are running a crazy high voltage that puts you in the same position the rest of the time. While Windows can be secretive, it does tell you how much CPU load is in use. Open your task manager and find out what is going on.

Thanks for the reply.

I was a bit brief in explaining the issue. To be clear, I don't know for a fact that the Corsair software is to blame. But I've diagnosed a lot of problems with my PC in the past and I normally spot an issue.

The PC was resetting and shutting down after about two minutes of operation, sometimes less. The reset was consistent, and did not seem to be caused by any particular software operation or hardware peripheral as I had unplugged unnecessary stuff to diagnose the issue.

When the PC resets like that its almost always the CPU overheating. At least, that was my first assumption. I've seen CPU overheats in the past and know the symptoms.

Knowing that I can check the CPU temps in the Corsair software I loaded it up. I know what temps I should be getting - I'm one of those people who memorise operating parameters so I can diagnose things when they go wrong. The temps were very high - about 10 degrees higher than normal and creeping up. It doesn't really matter what the actual temp was because it will be different for everyone's machine, but for mine they were running high. Off the top of my head I was pushing above 80 degrees on the CPU and the coolant was in the high thirties.

I know my motherboard is not happy with my CPU cooler. I run an ASUS MAXIMUS X HERO. This is one of those boards that likes to operate the water-cooling for the CPU itself in its BIOS. Unfortunately, as the CPU is USB powered and not seen as a regular water-cooler, the board sees it as a fan. While the motherboard controls the fans on my PC using its own software the Corsair software overrides it in relation to the water cooler. This is an uneasy setup at best. This may have something to do with the 1903 update issue, or it may not.

Either way, rolling back the 1903 update to an earlier version of 1903 fixed the issue. The CPU temperatures went back to normal and the resets stopped happening. Now, it could be something entirely different - but if it is it does seem to inflate CPU core temperatures in a way that is likely to have some connection with the water cooler. And I'm used to running CPU intensive games so the notion that some background task would be pushing the CPU into meltdown is also unlikely.

I use an i7, 16GB RAM, Asus Maximus X Hero board.

Edited by DanielP

...The temps were very high - about 10 degrees higher than normal and creeping up. It doesn't really matter what the actual temp was because it will be different for everyone's machine, but for mine they were running high. Off the top of my head I was pushing above 80 degrees on the CPU and the coolant was in the high thirties.

...And I'm used to running CPU intensive games so the notion that some background task would be pushing the CPU into meltdown is also unlikely.

Something clearly happened, but the what is definitely a bit odd. What you described is exactly like a hardware (cooler) failure and the continually creeping temperatures is a classic sign. However, the CPU temps in the 80s and the coolant temps in the high 30s is not a cooler failure. That is 100% maximum load. The difference between the coolant temperature and the cores indicate the CPU was loaded and a +50C differential is going to be near maximum CPU usage for an 8700K in the 4.7-5.0GHz range. If the cooler had dropped off for whatever reason, the coolant temp would go 30-35-40-45...60-65.. right up until shutdown.. in about 2 minutes. However, the CPU temps would sit right above it. If the pump goes dead stop, the coolant around the CPU needs to get up to 80C+ for you to hit the shutdown. The cooler then works perfectly on the restore. There is nothing you can do with iCUE to make the cooler behave this way. The Windows update should not alter any BIOS settings and the Hero X is perfectly capable of handling any of Corsair's coolers. You haven't listed your model. I'll guess a H100i v2, but we can work that out and make sure you have it set up the right way in the BIOS. Regardless, the flip-flopping on Windows should have made no difference for any motherboard setting.

You're right, it seems extremely unlikely for any stuck program to use 100% of the CPU resources. I have had issues with Aura or Mystic Light getting stuck on my 8700K, but the most that has ever been is 13% or so and it just reads like something is working in background. Not the escalator to shutdown you experienced. I am not sure what could cause this. Maybe something deeply corrupted within the Windows OS regarding CPU assignment, but that is not my area. From an software standpoint, maybe only AI Suite would be deep enough into the processor to cause that much chaos. The problem people seem to run into on the OS updates is drivers do not always come through unscathed. If you are trying to be as safe as possible, anything with a deep lying driver essential to the system can be uninstalled before the update, block automatic updates during the upgrade process, then reload them yourself when done. Not everything needs to be done this way, but I find sound and video drivers to the most sensitive. It also may be related to changes Microsoft makes to the way these drivers are handled. I am guessing based on your comment about the motherboard software controlling the other fans you do have AI Suite installed. Based on years of Asus experience, that is the most probably suspect.

Edited by c-attack

Well, I had a long detailed response for each of you, which the forum vanquished it on submit with 500 service error. Now that is a glitch.

There are three people in this thread all with separate problems.

Munixed - Hopefully you did you due diligence on the fan swap and testing. Most people that have a lighting glitch, problem, corruption, etc. do not lose lighting in a serial fashion. You get unexpected colors and/or changes on top of your lighting, like described in the post above. My suggestion for you is to take the C:User/(name)/App Data (hidden)/Roaming/Corsair folder and copy it to the desktop. Those are all your lighting and settings. Uninstall iCUE, delete the settings, reinstall. Do not move the App Data folder back yet. Create a new profile and see if the lighting elements are still chopped off at the same point. You could also try using instant lighting right now to see if it turns everything on.

When you "revert back the previous version of Windows", you are doing a system restore. Any corruption that occurred during the Windows install goes away with it. It does not mean iCUE is incompatible and obviously quite a few people are using 1903, iCUE, and LL fans. This is why I prefer to back up and uninstall critical drivers before doing one of these major bi-annual updates, but that is your choice. People on the Fast Ring have been on newer versions of Windows for months with older versions of iCUE. They didn't lose their fan lighting.

sym30I1c - Turn off the SDK in the iCUE app settings and see if that changes things. Also, can you be more specific? Is it all games? One particular game? Do you see it when at the desktop?

Daniel P - No matter what the software is doing, you can't overheat to the point of shutdown without a physical problem or high load. The software can be uninstalled and the cooler settings locked to the lowest level and you still won't hit thermal shutdown unless you are running a crazy high voltage that puts you in the same position the rest of the time. While Windows can be secretive, it does tell you how much CPU load is in use. Open your task manager and find out what is going on.

Thanks so much for your detailed response.

I've tried everything:

• re-installed all drivers to do with Corsair
  • tested each fan by itself on each port of the node pro (single fan setup works fine on each port)
  • re-installed iCue and setup a new profile
  • Corsair Link has the same issue

Here's a video of the fans: https://giant.gfycat.com/SleepyScalyBlackmamba.webm

Any more suggestions?

EDIT: I think I may have figured out whats happening, I set all the fans that are supposed to be there to static except for fan 6 which is rainbow. Fan 1 is fine, but fan 2 has the colour flickering in the top right like the video, which I think is the supposed to be the last fan. This surely has to be a software issue not recognising all the fans...

Edited by munixed

EDIT: I think I may have figured out whats happening, I set all the fans that are supposed to be there to static except for fan 6 which is rainbow. Fan 1 is fine, but fan 2 has the colour flickering in the top right like the video, which I think is the supposed to be the last fan. This surely has to be a software issue not recognising all the fans...

I am going to feel bad if this is a lighting set-up problem, although I thought it was working before. In iCUE, make sure the Lighting Set-up Tab under the LNP device icon is set to LL fans and 6. Telling it you have 2 LED strips would stop it exactly there.

The critical troubleshooting element is to make sure you test the fans in different positions on the RGB Lighting Hub (not the LNP). This is the 6 port power conduit for fan lighting only. It should be in the back of the 011 somewhere. Take the fan lighting cable plugged into #2 and swap it with #6. If the fan is bad, 1-5 will now work and 6 will be stuck. If nothing changes, it may be a bad RGB hub or something else.

Thanks for the reply. In my case it seems to happen only while gaming. I've been playing Frostpunk, so I'm not sure whether it happens in other games as well. I've never noticed it before.

Also, it seems to happen only after a while, when the system gets quite hot.

The problem with the led persists after I exit the game, but as soon as I open iCue and select the current profile again, everything goes back to normal.

I'll try to turn of the SDK and see if it makes any difference.

Edit: just for info, I've been using LL120 fans with a Commander Pro + Lighting Node for months without any issues and I haven't changed anything. So, it's definitely not a problem of set up or wrong configuration.

Edited by sym30l1c

Thanks for the reply. In my case it seems to happen only while gaming. I've been playing Frostpunk, so I'm not sure whether it happens in other games as well. I've never noticed it before.

Also, it seems to happen only after a while, when the system gets quite hot.

The problem with the led persists after I exit the game, but as soon as I open iCue and select the current profile again, everything goes back to normal.

I'll try to turn of the SDK and see if it makes any difference.

Edit: just for info, I've been using LL120 fans with a Commander Pro + Lighting Node for months without any issues and I haven't changed anything. So, it's definitely not a problem of set up or wrong configuration.

There isn’t any SDK effects for Frostpunk, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Next time you play a game, set the instant lighting to one color as a way to test profile corruption. That should act like a veil and no other colors should come through. If that doesn’t work, then something may have gone wrong physically. You could also try creating a new profile from scratch to see if it is affected.

There isn’t any SDK effects for Frostpunk, so that shouldn’t be an issue. Next time you play a game, set the instant lighting to one color as a way to test profile corruption. That should act like a veil and no other colors should come through. If that doesn’t work, then something may have gone wrong physically. You could also try creating a new profile from scratch to see if it is affected.

I've tried playing the game and set instant lighting to one color. Then I did the same with a different color. Everything seems to be working fine.

The issue was appearing before with a lighting effect that I had imported from a different profile I had downloaded. I used that effect for weeks without any problems, so maybe the problem is cause by a recent iCue update or Windows update.

I'll try to reproduce the effect myself, without loading it from a different profile and see what happens.

I've tried playing the game and set instant lighting to one color. Then I did the same with a different color. Everything seems to be working fine.

The issue was appearing before with a lighting effect that I had imported from a different profile I had downloaded. I used that effect for weeks without any problems, so maybe the problem is cause by a recent iCue update or Windows update.

I'll try to reproduce the effect myself, without loading it from a different profile and see what happens.

OK, it is starting to look like a corrupted effect or profile, which I guess is good news compared to a hardware problem. I have these pop up every once in a while. They keyboard is more noticeable -- one key the wrong color. Change profile, it goes away. Change back, it may show up later. I don't know of any way to actually repair it. If the profile is not overly complicated, it may be best to recreate it from scratch.

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same issue, since the Windows update 1903 my 6 LL120 fans stopped working (only one lights up). I have two RGB hubs connected to a Commander Pro.

My troubleshooting attempt before reading this thread was to swap the fans in order to identify if any of them was damaged, but all 6 of them light up if they're either in the first or second location, and I tried different RGB hubs too so it's either the Commander Pro (I don't have another one and I won't buy another one) or a software issue.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/a/YEtie9S

• 3 weeks later...
Can you be a bit more specific about the temps? Which temps were rising "above nominal temps"? What do you consider "nominal temps"? What temps are you seeing on the processor? What cooler do you have and what's controlling the case fans?

System specs?

Any news about this issue? Are you even working on this?

• 4 months later...