Corsair Community

Expected performance of Force Series 3 60 GB on Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit?

Wodin

Using dd to write an 8G file to the SSD I get around 230 or 240 MB/s. I'm measuring this as follows:

time (dd if=/dev/zero of=zerofile bs=1M count=8192; sync; sync; sync; sync)

Then I use the time reported by "time" rather than relying on the speed reported by dd.

The drive is connected to a SATA 3 port.

Ubuntu reports the drive as having 512 byte sectors, but the partition starts at sector 2048, so it should be correctly aligned. I've tried with ext4 (4k blocks) or with a raw partition and the results are basically the same either way.

If I deliberately start the partition at some other offset from the start of the disk (e.g. 2049) then the performance drops to between 180 and 195 MB/s.

From other benchmarks I've seen I think the drive should be capable of much more than 230 MB/s, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

Also, the Corsair support information only lists Windows benchmarking software as far as I can see, so I'm not sure what to use on Ubuntu instead of my crude dd method.

run a read only benchmark with disk utility ive got linux mint 11 and my 120GB force GT shows 530MB/s average so if your speed is show to low try a different port as i got the same speed you have when i had it plugged into another supposedly sata3 port

run a read only benchmark with disk utility ive got linux mint 11 and my 120GB force GT shows 530MB/s average so if your speed is show to low try a different port as i got the same speed you have when i had it plugged into another supposedly sata3 port

Using dd to read the 8GB file off the SSD I got around 235MB/s pretty consistently. This also did not appear to depend on where the partition started. I was telling dd to read in 1MB blocks.

During the week I will plug the SSD into a different port and also try the disk utility benchmark. Thanks for the suggestions.

Disk Utility's read only benchmark gives around 285MB/s for all ports. Also using different cables makes no difference to the speed.

Is there anything else I can try? e.g. is updating the kernel likely to make a difference?

tried on mint9/ubuntu 10.04 performs the same but could try a letter edition on a live cd to check and is this drive new or has is been used for a while without the ext4 discard mount option??

also

1. is it enabled in bios as ive got onchip sata3.0 suport setting with enable/disable in my bios

2. are the cables definitely sata3 do they have 6gbps/3gbps on the cable

3. does your mboard use a marvell chip as apparently its ****

tried on mint9/ubuntu 10.04 performs the same but could try a letter edition on a live cd to check and is this drive new or has is been used for a while without the ext4 discard mount option??

also

1. is it enabled in bios as ive got onchip sata3.0 suport setting with enable/disable in my bios

2. are the cables definitely sata3 do they have 6gbps/3gbps on the cable

3. does your mboard use a marvell chip as apparently its ****

Thanks for the reply.

I am downloading Oneiric and will give it a try tomorrow. Read up on discard support etc. Thought it would have been enabled by default, but I see it's not. The drive's only been used for testing, but I have written 8GB files to it several times for testing purposes, so I suppose that could affect write speeds, but surely it should not affect read speeds?

I'll try creating the fs again tomorrow from Oneiric and then run fstrim on it for good measure and see if that makes any difference.

1. Nothing in the BIOS about enabling/disabling SATA 3 support.

2. The cables do not say they are SATA 3 cables. From what I've seen online this *should* not be a problem, because cables that meet the SATA 2 spec are supposed to work fine for SATA 3, although it's possible that poor quality cables work at SATA 2 speeds, but are not actually up to spec and therefore do not work at SATA 3 speeds. I don't know what the symptoms of that would be, though. I'll get hold of some cables that actually say "SATA 3" or "6Gbps" on them and see if they make a difference.

3. I don't see any Marvel chips on the board.

Thanks again.

not using trim can effect read performance but depends on the ssd/firmware some are effected alot more than others also tried sata2 cable gives sata3 speeds anyways try trimming it if that does nothing then try googling your motherboard and look for problems with sata3 as i think its the mboard

Archived