Corsair Community

RM650i default fan curve runs hot

Sypower

I noticed that the fan on my RM650i doesn't start until the unit gets quite hot. I know the fan is not triggered by temperature but instead by power output, but I still think the fan is coming on too late. According to the manual, the fan is supposed to kick in when the unit is putting out around 260W but from my experience this is not the case.

Here's my research: I was playing a game and watching the fan/temp/power out using iCue, while recording everything using HWinfo. The unit was constantly putting out 300W+ with peaks as high as 350W and the fan was still sitting at 0 RPM. Using HWinfo, I can see that the fan finally did kick in when the PSU was reporting temperatures as high as 63/46 C (that is temp1/temp2 sensors respectively). Considering that this PSU is rated up to 50 C, this seems a little toasty to let the unit run that warm all the time.

I could set up my own fan curve, but using iCue I'm not able to set the RPM below 40%. That would mean giving up on the silent/passive cooling at low load that I really like about this unit.

TL;DR the PSU runs warm and I want to be able to set a custom fan curve that goes to 0 speed at low temperatures.

• Corsair Employee
I noticed that the fan on my RM650i doesn't start until the unit gets quite hot. I know the fan is not triggered by temperature but instead by power output, but I still think the fan is coming on too late.

The RMi fan controller uses both load and temperature to determine fan speed. If the load is high OR the temperature is high, then the fan should spin.

If the fan's not spinning, it simply means it's not running that hot.