Corsair Community

CPU overheating - My H100i v2 is dying?

rivia

Hi all, I have a Corsair H100i v2 cooling an i7 8700 (non K).

A two or three months ago I realize that temperatures are rising. In idle is around 40-45c. Thats kinda ok, but when I'm playing games, its reaching 90c. To comparisson, Resident Evil 2 (remake) was around 65c when I was playing in the beggining of year. My room is around 20c now.

I have this H100i v2 for two years and was cooling an i7 7700k before. It was always hot while playing because of this CPU, but not like now with a "non K" getting 90c.

Some info:

- AIO is plugged in CPU header. I put "full speed" on BIOS.

- Pump is running at Extreme in iCUE (~3200 RPM). Tried to change fans to Extreme too (~2400 RPM), didn't work.

- A few weeks back I changed the thermal paste, didn't work.

- The radiator is completely cold. One pipe is a little warm and the other is cold. Don't feel much vibration from it.

- AIO is mounted on the front with fans intake air. I had change it position to the top, tried fans as exhaust with radiator in the front, but it didn't change temperatures.

Configuration: i7 8700, RTX 2080, mobo TUF 360 Pro Gaming, PSU Corsair GS600, RAM 16gb DDR4 Corsair Value Select, SSD 120GB + HD 1TB

Warm coolant but cold exhaust is a worrying sign. The coolant temp and exhaust air temperature should be approximately the same. While it is possible there is an air bubble blocking flow, that usually makes noticeable noise and this is a reported issue with that cooler series. It is more likely there is a some kind of flow blockage. If so, there isn't a long term solution and you should contact Corsair Tech Support through the Ticket System in the header at the top of the page or go shopping for something new.

Short term solutions - you might be able to buy yourself a little time by lighting tapping the pump head or hoses. You also can try cycling the pump from low to high to low to high, although that is a better solution for bubbles. Same thing for rocking the case back. The final desperate try is to take the cooler out and shake it. No guarantees on this, but that is more likely to alter the balance of things. However, even if successful, there is no where for the blockage to go. What goes around will come around again to the same place eventually.

Thanks for the info. I really believe that my AIO is dying. I’m thinking about h100i Pro...

This AIO is less problematic than previous (h100, h100i, h100i V2)? I didn’t see many people with problem. But I saw tons of topics in forums about V2 issues, just like mine.

Well, the V2 has been out longer and they sold a TON of them. So ... you'll see more problems. Also, the V2 had the power from the fan header and a LOT of folks powered them incorrectly ... they let the CPU auto-detect voltage control and then try to control fan speed based on CPU temp. This would leave the pump without enough voltage for proper operation. And while you'd think that something this important would be in the manual, it wasn't.

The Pro is a good cooler. It doesn't have the power issue because it's SATA powered. It also has the ML fans, which are a LOT quieter than the SP fans that came with the V2. It's a good replacement choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Well. i got some problems a year ago.

The coolant and processor temps were similar and high with not really any load on the processor. Then i noticed warm hoses and a radiator that was only warm in one corner. I thought low coolant or low flow.

Since i bought the H100i online, i thought to hell with warranty that sucks.

I took out the screws on the copper plate and lo and behold. There were a bunch of white granules covering the entry port to the copper fins, so little or no coolant could circulate through the head.

Well. Aluminium and copper, that's a battery. so we need anti corrosives. Where can anyone get that readily available? Car coolant. So after a clean and a flush i put the car coolant in and sealed the thing up again.

After the startup my processor had even better/lower temperature than when the H100i was new.

Soooo I thought. Corsair you jackasses! Know your chemistry!

Second thought. Naaaw, this was liberal, it's too obvious. Pumps = known tech. Electronics = known tech. Fluid dynamics = known facts. Electrochemistry = known facts.

If this component should have a failure mode after 5 years, it would come down to the resilience of the water of becoming an electrolyte.

They don't give a damn about the product. only money. Betting on people unlike myself and tossing the product for a new one.

Let that be a recommendation ha!

Edited by Høne

Well. i got some problems a year ago.

The coolant and processor temps were similar and high with not really any load on the processor. Then i noticed warm hoses and a radiator that was only warm in one corner. I thought low coolant or low flow.

Since i bought the H100i online, i thought to hell with warranty that sucks.

I took out the screws on the copper plate and lo and behold. There were a bunch of white granules covering the entry port to the copper fins, so little or no coolant could circulate through the head.

Well. Aluminium and copper, that's a battery. so we need anti corrosives. Where can anyone get that readily available? Car coolant. So after a clean and a flush i put the car coolant in and sealed the thing up again.

After the startup my processor had even better/lower temperature than when the H100i was new.

Soooo I thought. Corsair you jackasses! Know your chemistry!

Second thought. Naaaw, this was liberal, it's too obvious. Pumps = known tech. Electronics = known tech. Fluid dynamics = known facts. Electrochemistry = known facts.

If this component should have a failure mode after 5 years, it would come down to the resilience of the water of becoming an electrolyte.

They don't give a damn about the product. only money. Betting on people unlike myself and tossing the product for a new one.

Let that be a recommendation ha!

Interesting. I have a Corsair H110 which I am going to retire it soon because it will not be compatible with the new machine, but as it still works I was wanting to avoid throwing it away (it is just a bit old, running for some years now). I've been wondering if I could make it last a few years more it by doing preventive maintenance and replacing the coolant and cleaning the unit like you did, did you have any trouble resealing the pump?