Corsair Community

500DSE Top Fan mount plate

Salsiccia

I've just noticed that in mounting the top fans and rad in my 500D case, its not ideal. Either that, or I'm doing something dumb - which is always on the cards !!

My cunning plan is to have a 280 rad and 2 x 140mm fans up top. I did know going in that while that is technically feasible, it doesn't leave much room for error, and I was OK with that.

What I've just discovered when doing a test lighting run was that the fan cutouts in that top plate seem to be aimed at a 120mm fan, not a 140mm.

Hopefully this photo shows the issue:

ab534Wp.jpg

If you look around 4 o'clock on the right fan and 8 o'clock on the left fan you see my concern. The fan cutout is overlapping the fan blades. At the end of the day its probably not going to be noticeable, especially once the darkened glass panel goes back on, but I will always know - and that will annoy me.

I tried bringing the fans forward to the other side of the plate so they mount with the plate underneath them, but then, apart from being really fiddly to do, the fans stick up too high and the top glass won't go back on.

And I do want these fans visible from the outside, not the inside - before you ask !

I'm considering dropping down to a 240 rad and 2 x 120mm instead as about the nicest solution. The ever so slightly minor drop in cooling performance will be negligible, I'm not going to be overclocking much, and there's a 360 up front with 6 fans in push/pull (assuming I can make that fit, otherwise just 3) so cooling will be fine.

Or I just "suck it up soldier".

Thoughts? Am I being a bit precious?

BTW - Ricardo, the owner at Coldzero (the link Zotty gave me above) got really cranky when I pointed out his shipping costs were too high and he banned me from shopping there - hardly an issue for me, but just a little precious I would have thought !

I have always found him pleasant my self. i am in the uk and i understand its not cheap to ship this far. my parents live in Spain and it costs me a small fortune when i have to send stuff to them. I assume Ricardo gets a lot of people pointing out his shipping costs are high when in fact they are most likely inline with actual costs to other country's etc. he may be tired of it.

I'm sure he is tired of it, but the reality that I pointed out is that other EU based companies do ship to me, and have done, for much less than his prices. Its a competitive world and these days with so many more people doing it, the price gets driven down. If you aren't prepared to adapt you're going to get left behind.