Corsair Community

Faulty ram/wrong settings or something else? ((CMK32GX4M4A2800C16))

raelliott

RAM: Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8gb) DDR4 2800MHz kit ((CMK32GX4M4A2800C16))

MOBO: ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1 LGA 2011-v3

CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5 GHz LGA 2011-v3 140W BX80648I75930K

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-2983-KR 4GB SC GAMING w/ACX 2.0

I know this will be a lot to read, but i've been trying to get some solid help on this for five months now to no avail. I greatly appreciate any and all help yhou can give me. There's a couple issues but I think it boils down to either the mobo or the ram. Here's some pics of the UI issues I've been experiencing for some time now. It's not an easily-replicated thing, and I'm never sure if I've solved it because it eventually creeps back up, but we'll see if my current status works out.

http://imgur.com/a/7M7s5

I work as a freelance VFX artist and composer, a couple of those stills in there are from inside Adobe After Effects and Cockos Reaper. I've been experiencing these issues off and on since... well since I built this thing. But I've never been able to figure out the root cause of the issue, and since I constantly need to be working I've never had the chance to really stop and try and troubleshoot this. I've posted on tech supports on Reddit, LinusTechTips, a couple random overclocking forums: either no responses or no solutions found.

Outside of the UI issues are a couple others. One small one is with Star Wars Battlefront: when I start the game, or alt+tab out of it, it is black. The only way for me to see something is to literally RESET my monitor. I suspected all my issues at this point were due to the GPU, so I posted on BOTH Nvidia's forums and EVGA, but my threads just disappeared into obscurity.

The other issue is simply booting/posting. Someone suggested I try removing the ram and playing with their positions/amount of sticks onboard, so I did. All but one were successful at getting to the BIOS (read: not exactly posting). But I'm having trouble having any combination of the three remaining sticks working to post. I've tried three at a time, two in the manual-recommended slots, and just one at a time to try and get it to post, but the comp always resets after booting up from the BIOS screen. This is my first new build in 6 years, and I've never messed with ram timings or OCing my hardware, so getting these sticks (and the new mobo, in general) to work has been a headache as I know nothing about the more advanced stuff. I had some minor success using the ASUS AI Suite 3 app, until the UI issues started popping up more. Here's some stills of my BIOS currently with the only working configuration I've managed to get:

CPU-Z current stats: http://imgur.com/1BrOBpJ

BIOS current settings: http://imgur.com/a/Ek4Ri

What the hell is wrong? Is it simply bad ram? Wrong settings somewhere? Other faulty hardware? Again, any and all help I really appreciate, the more these issues crop up, the more time I have to stop working my FT job to try and troubleshoot and I'm afraid to mess things up any further.

Archived