Corsair Community

Problems with TwinX 3200LL

hillsie

I'm running a P4 3.0c on an MSI Neo2 865pe with 2 sets of Corsair TwinX 3200LL (4 sticks of 256) set at 2-3-2-6 dimm at 2.55 volts, I can enable performance mode by setting to fast when normally you have to set it to turbo or ultra turbo, the problem is my system crashes within minutes when set to fast and the same thing happens if I raise my fsb to only 203, so I have the MSi auto overclocking disabled, the ram just doesn't want to know, I have even damaged 2 sets of ram within minutes doing this which were replaced no problem, I,ve read many stories about how far you can overclock this ram but I can only get it to run at stock standard settings accross the board, thanks if you can help.

Ok, no help yet so I set my cas latency to 2.5 and performance mode to fast, dynamic overclocking diabled, everything else is set to default, CPU-Z reports cas latency at 2 and peformance mode enabled and everything seems stable so far, just ran 3D Mark 2001se with no problems, interesting to note that also my fsb is now 203 and cpu frequency is now 3043 but my cpu temp has dropped from 55c to 42c, I think this mobo from MSI still has some problems, am also using the latest bios, my dimm is set to 2.55 I have noticed the Ramguy reccomend 2.75, do you think I should change this, thanks.

First off, if RAM GUY recommended a setting, give it a try. 2.75v on that RAM is a very good idea, especially with 4 sticks. Also, you might want to do a search here at Corsair for others with MSI MOBOs. So far, the bios on those MOBOs has made them very difficult to tune. Hopefully someone here will have found a combination of settings that will help you. Also, I would first try to get the system stable and solid with 2 sticks of RAM in dual channel mode. 4 sticks is much more demanding on the MOBO so, since you are having problems, simplify it a bit. Get it running well with 2 sticks and then try to move up to 4. Mike.

Thanks for the reply, you're right about the bios not being the best, I bought this msi mobo because it was recomended on some hardware reviews but have since found out this board is already overclocked by default which is why it was winning all the tests, so whatever you think you are doing in the bios it will be more than you think, ie: my bios says my cas latency is 2.5 and my dimm is 2.55 but they are really 2 and 2.65, this board already stresses your system even at default settings:sigh!:

S***, after about 40 hours of trying everything mentioned on this board, and trying most benchmarking progams around, I have come to the conclusion that corsair xms3200LL is the most overpriced overated memory on the market, if it wasn't there wouldn't be a forum for the hundreds of problems ppl are having, It's obvious that whatever modules being tested aren't the same as you can buy as an ordinary consumer, maybe it's just incompatable with the 865-875 intel n/bridge chipsets, but obviously ramguy who can't supply any solutions (or bother to even give me one suggestion knows this), I have spent $300 US for my corsair ram and ramguy, aka corsair employee ??? knows this and doesn't even bother replying to my posted problems, why else would corsair all of a sudden start sellin pc4000+ etc, coz they know, $300 US is a weeks wages here in AUS, out of the around 100 PC retailers where I live there is only one that will sell it, all the others don't want to know because of all the return problems, I'm getting rid of mine asap, albeit at a loss, :mad:

Your conclusions here are totally wrong. If you would search here at Corsair and do a Google search you will find that the MSI MOBOs are "problematic" to say the least. They are difficult to tune properly in most cases, and more so with low latency RAM. It's the MSI bios and MOBO. Corsair did not just begin"suddenly" selling PC4000. And yes, RAM GUY is a Corsair employee. That is no secret and it is plastered all over the Corsair home page. As to having a forum, it is a free service to people who buy Corsair in addition to their normal tech/customer support channels. FYI, no other RAM company has a forum like this. Since your last post contained only insults and accusations, there is no useful info in it.Have you: Looked for others with your MOBO to see what their solutions are? Tried 2 sticks of RAM? Tried 2 sticks of RAM at more relaxed timings? Tried MSI tech support? Run [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] test on the RAM? Happy Holidays.

Roadster, do you have anything intelligent to contribute? I have only offered valid advice in this thread. I am also a beta tester for another RAM manufacturer so I like to think that I can offer valid advice. I am brand loyal to Corsair because they offer the best product, customer service, and warranty in the business. The original poster came to this site for help, not to have people fan the flames. Hillsie has not stated he has run Memtest or any other diagnostic, what bios he is running, or if he has tried any of the other things I have posted. It is COMMON KNOWLEDGE among forums that the new 875/865 based MOBOs are having problems running 4 sticks of RAM. This includes all brands with Asus, Intel, MSI, Abit etc included. This is not the fault of Corsair or any other brand of RAM. It seems to be a growing pain typical of a new chipset. And, MSIs Dynamic OCing and their bios has proven to be VERY problematic, especially with LL RAM. Most users can run the same RAM in a different machine, and/or Memtest it and it runs fine. Roadster, the problems Hillsie has stated are exactly what other MSI users have stated. Some of them have posted some solutions here at this site for others to use. Those helpful users came here to post that instead of the drivel you posted. I am perfectly willing to assist Hillsie as is RAM GUY. But, I don't appreciate it when people insult a company on their own forum, especially when it is not warranted. So, I let him know what I have seen repeatedly with the MSI boards, BIOS ISSUES!!! Hillsie, good luck. I hope you solve your problem. Mike.

[url]http://www.houseofhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11430[/url] I am here to help people and recieve help when I need it. Refer to the forum rules above if you have any further questions. I don't mind helping you or anyone else. Hillsie, do you need any further assistance? If so, post. If not, good luck. Happy Holidays, Mike.

• Corsair Employee
hillsie, First off I am sorry that you are having trouble, but there are a few things that have been said that should be noted, First of which if you have not done so I would do a search for the MB you have and you will find many posts about this MB and other MSI models. They make a great MB but you do need to play with the settings to get the system stable. And I would take a look at some of these posts, like [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?postid=93570&highlight=MSI#post93570]This one[/URL] and [URL=http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?postid=88335&highlight=MSI#post88335]This one[/URL] I think they can help you with the bios settings, but there are many more as well. Also I would as specmike suggests test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure you don’t have a bad module as that would really make it hard to find a problem like this. Next we have only suggested running with 2 modules and if you wish to run with 4 I would suggest that you set the timings manually to a more relaxed setting like Cass 2.5-3-3-7 or Cass 2.5-4-4-8 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7x Volts. There are 20 loads per module and running more modules will make the chipset less efficient or it may not over clock as well. And Cass 2 or even 2.5 would technically be over clocking, as the JEDEC Spec for DDR400 would be Cass 3-4-4-8 or Cass 3-3-3-8. But lets try some of the suggestions listed and go from there. If you do have a bad module we will be happy to replace it.

Archived