Corsair Community

CUE eats up a lot of memory

kidlat020

I am not sure 200,000 KB qualifies as a lot. That is similar to my usage and about the same as your Garena messenger software suite. It will be a little more with the program window up front and less when minimized. If you are really up against your memory limits, you either need to upgrade or start limiting non-essential programs.

in comparison CCC.exe (used by Radeon cards) is only using 100kb and that's a video card.

I'm using CUE only for the wireless headset. is there a way to reduce how much memory its eating when running in background? I really need memory.

The Catalyst Control Center is the application that controls the video card. The settings are not stored in that process's private memory, but usable by any graphics application. Note, also, that the graphics card has its own memory that is not reflected in task manager.

I have CCC and CUE 2, and here are my observations for minimized CUE 2:

CPU: 10%

Private Bytes: 159,932 K

Working Set: 96,836 K

I am using a basic profile which makes lots of random number calls to set random colors on all the keys, while my mouse features a rotating color palette.

CUE is running at standard priority, and when the system needs memory for another process, it will shrink the working set dynamically. The working set reflects the amount of memory that is currently used by the process. CUE's backing store for much of the memory are various DLLs and having this in memory allows for quicker access than paging the disk into memory. The pageable memory used by variables is backed by the system pagefile, so even this memory is reclaimed by the system dynamically when there is need for it by another process.

On a perfect system, 100% of memory and CPU should be in use at all times, because memory access is much faster than disk and if your CPU is not processing when it could do something useful, it is wasting wall time. Of course, not everything will fit into memory for all processes all the time. The Windows scheduler and memory manager will trim processes working sets dynamically. There is a performance setting that allows users to modify the relative balance between a large and smaller maximum working set and also for process priorities, and the size of CPU quantum indicating how much CPU a thread will be able to use before the scheduler makes it give way for another thread.

If you are in need of memory, write your program to allocate nonpaged pool, and your pocess' memory will not get bumped by dynamic allocations to CUE or any other program.

If you are in need of memory' date=' write your program to allocate nonpaged pool[/quote']

In user mode the sensible way to do ensure your program has all the physical memory it needs is to use VirtualAlloc() or VirtualAllocEx() and then VirtualLock().

CUE using 200MB is symptomatic of Software Bloat and as current systems in general are 64-bit and have plenty of RAM I suspect Corsair will not be inclined to try and reduce the CUE memory usage.

• Corsair Employee
In user mode the sensible way to do ensure your program has all the physical memory it needs is to use VirtualAlloc() or VirtualAllocEx() and then VirtualLock().

CUE using 200MB is symptomatic of Software Bloat and as current systems in general are 64-bit and have plenty of RAM I suspect Corsair will not be inclined to try and reduce the CUE memory usage.

Let's not get into the game of assumptions. My developers are always aware of my request to be as efficient as possible with SW implementation. We don't assume that because memory is in large amounts that we can get away with shoddy work. CUE is a very complicated piece of software that has over a hundred features spread across over 4 different genre of products. Eventually as customers ask for more features and our products have increased functionality, resources will go up as a trade-off.

It is offensive to the team and me to simply assume that we do things without consideration of our users.

• 1 year later...

Archived