Corsair Community

3950x with full Hydro X giving me Weird Temps

So as the title says. I've been reading and trying, all kinds of different discussion boards and other options to get these temps lower. I'm at a point where either I accept the current temps and situation and live with it until I upgrade or find a solution. If these are good temps. Please Please put my mind at ease.

I have the entire Hydro X custom loop. My loop order and findings:

Pump -> GPU -> 360 Rad -> CPU -> 420 Rad -> return

BIOS set to full Stock / Ambient temp - 22.3c

Hydro X fan and pump curve

Idle (5 min)

4% usage

Temp - 45c to 65c (HWMonitor)

Temp - 45c to 48c (Ryzen Master)

4.275ghz avg @ 1.4v - 1.45v

4.475ghz peak on core 0 and core 2

GPU temp - 35c

Coolant temp - 35c

100% Fans / 3100RPM pump

Idle (5 min)

4% usage

Temp - 44c - 63c (HWMonitor)

Temp - 44c - 45c (Ryzen Master)

4.275ghz avg @ 1.4v - 1.45v

4.475ghz peak on core 7

GPU temp - 32c

Coolant temp - 32c

Cinebench R20 runs

Cinebench R20 - 300sec

Hydro X Fan and pump Curve

CPU - 71c avg / 80c max

3.925ghz @ 1.100v to 1.131v

4.250ghz peak on cores 2, 7, 9, 10, 11

Coolant temp - 39c at ending

CB20 - 8537 - NO XMP

CB20 - 8727 - XMP Enabled @ 3400mhz

Cinebench R20 - 300sec

100% Fans / 3100RPM pump

CPU - 66c avg / 75c max

4.000ghz @ 1.116v to 1.144v

4.275ghz peak on all cores

Coolant Temp - 33.88c at ending

CB20 - 8603 - NO XMP

CB20 - 8782 - XMP Enabled @ 3400mhz

Red Dead Redemption 2 Benchmark Load

Hydro X Fan and pump Curve

CPU - 68c avg / 75c max

GPU - 54c avg / 56c max

Coolant temp - 40.5c avg

Fans 100% / 3100RPM pump

CPU - 64c avg / 73c max

GPU - 51c avg / 55c max

Coolant temp - 36c avg

This system was built for Gaming. I got the 3950x and not the 9900KS due to the possibility of future streaming, video encoding and all the other fun stuff. It feels like the gaming temps are high. Am I crazy? Or just expect lower temps due to the custom loop? Need guidance.

I havent even overclocked a single thing yet.

Slow your pump down. You need to give the rads time to cool the liquid.

Wait, what? This is not how this is supposed to work.

@OP: these temps are perfectly in line with what's expected with custom loop. It is a common misconception for people to expect much lower temperatures. You need to understand the temperature of the core are basically junction temperatures of the IC and these usually run 30-50°C higher than water temperature (which is basically your water block / coldplate temperature), even without any overclocking.

Moreover, Ryzen 3950X tends to auto-overclock itself given the thermal headroom so you will get same 'high' temperatures compared to lower end cooler, but better performance because the chip will always try to clock itself as high as possible until it reaches certain temperature.

At the moment I have the CPU running in this setup to get the most out of gaming. I'll also list the avg and max temps with the tests. I chose Path of Exile for these tests, as that's currently a game I'm playing a lot of and its horribly optimized.

All tests and gaming is with SMT off. And PBO off. Manual OC of 4.4ghz all cores. 16 cores/16 threads. RAM at 3400mhz 1:1 with FCLK. (RAM is Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600mhz CL18) cannot achieve this clock speed no matter what I try. Power mode is set to AMD Ryzen High Performance.

All modes were tested with default Hydro X fan curves. I'm sure if I set more aggressive fan curves, the temps would be a bit lower. Using Corsair LL140 fans on the 420 front Rad for intake. LL120 fans on the top 360 rad for exhaust. Exhaust fan in the back is a LL140.

Avg fan speed 1100rpm

Avg pump speed 2100rpm

Pump -> GPU -> 360 top rad -> CPU -> 420 front rad -> pump return.

Ambient Temp - 23.7c

Running at 3840×2160

Vsync on

At full max graphics

The FPS is about the same for all the different tests, I took readings in different places.

Standing in Hideout - 80fps avg - 113fps max

Average CPU usage is around 25%

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.350v - 68c avg - 75c max

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.325v - 65c avg - 74c max

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.300v - 60c avg - 70c max

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.275v - 58c avg - 68c max

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.250v - 55c avg - 65c max

Intense Map run with lots of effects - 68fps avg - 90fps max

Average CPU usage around 32%

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.350v - 68c avg - 75c max

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.325v - 66c avg - 75c max

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.300v - 61c avg - 70c max

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.275v - UNSTABLE CRASHED

3950x @ 4.4ghz - 1.250v - UNSTABLE CRASHED

The GPU during any place in the game is always hovering at around 55c and 97% usage.

The Coolant temp in game is stable at around 40.75c.

Maybe it's just me.. but I feel like it's still warm for the game. But I believe what u say that these chips just run hot.

What do u think?

Forget about manual OC, you cannot run these cores at 4.4GHz on these tiny 80mm2 chiplets. Heat flux is just too high. The dies are not able to transfer heat to the IHS in time.

Moreover, games-wise you will have better performance running default settings with PBO enabled as the chip will boost higher than what you have set up manually.

Manual OC is dead with Ryzen outside extreme overclocking with liquid nitrogen or other means of refrigeration.

These CPUs do run hot.

Given your manual OC on CPU, the temperatures you are getting can be considered as normal.

I was fiddling with my system yesterday. And decided to shut down iCue software and Logitech Ghub.. My idle temps dropped 10c my gaming temp dropped 12c to 15c.

This is worrisome. Either I run hotter with pretty lights or run cooler with no RGB control. Turning off iCue didnt change my fan/pump curves. Just made the lighting control freeze. Same with the Logitech Ghub. Today I'll play around some more and see which background program is causing the most issues.

Corsair released a new mouse .. I'm a lefty.. I would love to get rid of Logitech entirely but cant.

That is physically not possible, you're being tricked - this is called an observer effect.

Moreover, the only measurable stress test is a synthetic benchmark to measure maximum temperature of the system and components. You can't do it since your manually overclocked system is unstable.

Any other temperature reading or making assumption based on observed values under non-uniform temperature load is severely skewed as pooling rate is not as fast as the frequency switch on a modern chip like Ryzen 3000.

I'm running a 3950X with Corsair Hydro X setup as well. I can tell you that these temperatures are perfectly normal. I gave up the manual undervolting and manual overclocking of the 3950X because it seems that I'm unable to improve the scores in benchmarks.

I'm currently running everything in auto, the core voltage hits 1.4V in idle and the temperature readout in iCUE is 56°C with random spikes to 61°C. I get a stock core clock in 4.25GHz in windows 10, all I did was selecting AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan in Windows Power Plan (Advanced Settings) But it runs stable.

To give you more context; my RADEON VII idles at 37°C. This was unthinkable on air, although I was unable to cool my GPU with a block from Corsair. I settled for a EK Vector waterblock and it works perfectly fine in my Hydro X setup.

I'm running a 3950X with Corsair Hydro X setup as well. I can tell you that these temperatures are perfectly normal. I gave up the manual undervolting and manual overclocking of the 3950X because it seems that I'm unable to improve the scores in benchmarks.

I'm currently running everything in auto, the core voltage hits 1.4V in idle and the temperature readout in iCUE is 56°C with random spikes to 61°C. I get a stock core clock in 4.25GHz in windows 10, all I did was selecting AMD Ryzen High Performance power plan in Windows Power Plan (Advanced Settings) But it runs stable.

To give you more context; my RADEON VII idles at 37°C. This was unthinkable on air, although I was unable to cool my GPU with a block from Corsair. I settled for a EK Vector waterblock and it works perfectly fine in my Hydro X setup.

I can see exactly what you're saying. I'm idling at 48c at the moment, with spikes at 55c. Just sitting in desktop with Hydro X fan curves. This temp is based on iCue. If I shut down Logitech GHub I drop to 42c idle with spikes at 49c.

Based off everything I read. This seems normal.

I am running a per CCD overclock of 4.375/4.375/4.25/4.25 @ 1.25v. This plays a big role as well. I have come to terms with my setup. And am very happy with it. I know I can push the cores higher. With higher voltage. But it's just not necessary. Highest I pushed was 10,512 in CB20. @ 1.3v with higher clocks.

Cheers all.. happy quarantining!!