Corsair Community

K70 RGB Issue - White light displays reddish hue

Laika

In short, my K70 RGB Keyboard has been exhibiting a reddish hue (or pinkish hue) on ONE key in my all white lighting profile. The hue shift isn't very noticeable under most other pure colors, but its just distracting over white. And I really want my bland, all white, back lighting on this overqualified light show...

I have tried, to my memory:

- Uninstalling and Re-installing the CUE program.

- Creating a new profile, devoid of all lighting, and inputting my desired pure white lighting.

- Switching modes/polling rates on back of keyboard.

- Testing on USB 3.0 and USB 2.0

- Deleting all profiles and starting the CUE program on a clean slate (this includes manually deleting user preferences in the "User" application folders).

- Banging ~$200 keyboard against drywall, because of one light (just kidding)

I submitted a ticket to corsair's support staff, but would like to see if anyone out there has ideas or knowledge on this. I've done what I could to make sure it isn't two/more separate lighting inputs stacking to create the pink (made that mistake months ago when I first got the thing). I almost sure it's something deeper which leads me to the next step...

... I would like to try and re-install the firmware, but the CUE won't let me download 1.15 and I didn't save a copy of the one I used to update. It would be awesome if anyone could tell me how to get a hold of the firmware.

My best picture of the issue is attached, although it's difficult to pic up on a camera at all.

IMG_0476.thumb.JPG.551302c6cadc17389aceef624e88b47b.JPG

Funny you should mention banging it against the wall....

This happened to me once and I ended up wailing on the key for a bit and it cleared up. For me it was the V key. I think a piece of debris got under the backplate through the hole under the space bar and was covering part of the LED. Shaking the keyboard might have been more effective but cant really say since I haven't run into the issue again.

Well that is interesting. Debris does seem a likely cause... perhaps blocking the Blue and Green elements, or acting as a red filter? I'll try blasting some air in there from a compressor in addition to shaking it around. Good to know the problem cleared up for you.

Have you tried looking at it from a different angle? I think what you're seeing is light bleeding through a little opening on the switch right above the scattering lens.

When I was cleaning mine I noticed there is a small slit on the top of the switch right above the lens part where LED is on PCB. The LEDs used don't have any diffuser built in so the individual color elements are clearly visible. I noticed if I move left or right you could see red reflect off the switch above the key you're looking at, or green, or blue. For example on QWE, you'll notice green hue on keys 123 if you're slightly to the right of those keys, and if you move left slowly red kicks in. This is individual LED element bleeding through the opening in the switch and not being diffused by the switch housing and scattering lens.

Thanks for the replies. It's definitely not angle dependent. The reddish tint is visible from all directions, and even more so when the key cap is removed. The light emitted from the clear housing is just reddish. I know that effect you're talking about too, I hope in future iterations they have better color mixing so there aren't any prismatic effects.

I've taken my air compressor system and blasted the switch with it. Forcing air in from the hole under the space bar per suggestion, and around the tiny gaps in the switch itself. Lightly banged it around a few times to loosen anything up as well. I'll keep hitting the "X" a little harder from now and see if anything loosens.

Just to cover all the bases, are there any known ways to re-download and "reflash" the firmware on this thing? I feel like a dummy for not saving 1.15 somewhere...

Thanks for the link! I can't believe I couldn't find it anywhere. Updated the firmware, the keyboard restarted and the X key is still showing a reddish tint. It was worth a shot. Tonight it seems the key is even more red in appearance than before, affecting yellows and oranges more than blues and greens. I really hope it's something dumb like debris or bad input signal, and not a failing led unit...

For now I'm using a slightly cyan white to "color correct" the X key. Despite being slightly darker in brightness compared to the surrounding keys, the X key is back to a neutral, non tinted, appearance.

Sorry to hear none of the fixes worked. Have you identified the exact LED with the issue (red green or blue)? Not exactly a fix but I set the whole keyboard to each color (red, green, blue) and only on the green did my key look dimmer.

Did you have any luck with corsair support?

Ha ha ha I try keep a copy of old firmware/cue installs.....in case of firmware-apocalypse.

Haha, after the annoyance passed I began laughing at the situation. I have to color correct my monitors, why not the keyboard?

After running through some pure color shifts, and fooling around with the color mixer, I'm pretty certain it's the green element which has reduced in output. Funny it's the same element in your scenario, and it is darker under green. All other pure colors are generally unaffected, it's the mixing of colors which hints at the green element as well.

Corsair support contacted me today, I'll update here if anything progresses.

Haha no kidding! I keep a sizable directory of all software versions and installs I've done. I still need to use an old foobar2000 version because of a plugin that broke in an update. It's always that one file you miss that you really need though haha.

Edit: Corsair's team has been very responsive and awesome, but couldn't solve the issue with the light. So I will RMA the thing. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edited by Laika

• 1 month later...
Edit: Corsair's team has been very responsive and awesome, but couldn't solve the issue with the light. So I will RMA the thing. Thanks for the help everyone!

Have you experienced a similar issue with the replacement keyboard?

After setting an all white mode, I noticed some of the keys on my K95 RGB are either bluish or pinkish. I'm afraid a color might eventually burn out like shown on this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=132018

I hope this is an isolated issue, is it? Should I RMA my keyboard and pray for a good batch like a silicon lottery? :[pouts:

Hey,

So after adding to the steam issues thread I then had a look to see if any one else is having something like this happen.

My menu key is yellow :(

This is my second board, the first one had End and Num Lock go yellow.

It cost me an am and a leg to send it back so Im look forward to the idea of forking out money again to send it to them and then wait weeks for them to ship in a new keyboard.

IMG_1390.JPG.e95a66f55d658b40fa6d320eff2b75cb.JPG

I had the same issue.

I'm on CUE 1.5.80 and in the box where it says "Standard [or] Advanced Settings," click it.

While just switching between the two I can get either a pure white or pink backlight.

It seems that while on the "Standard Effects" tab the red backlighting is not disabled no matter what color you set it to.

Ex. I have WASD, Shift, Control, Tab and 1-6 set for white, and F10 to Green (for ShadowPlay). Under the "Standard Effects tab the white looks pink and the green looks olive. Doing nothing else and switching to "Advanced Settings," the white is actually white and I now have an NVIDIA green, as intended.

Edited by MrTriTanium
MOAR info

A good few of my keys seem to have "yellower/greener" lighting than others. It's subtle but noticeable if I look at my keyboard for a bit. I haven't bothered with RMA on the off chance that it's a software/firmware issue.

Here's a picture. It's hard to get a good picture of it, but you should be able to notice the switch on the left is "yellower/greener" than the one on the right.

http://i.imgur.com/H4ur0jd.jpg

I had the same issue.

I'm on CUE 1.5.80 and in the box where it says "Standard [or] Advanced Settings," click it.

While just switching between the two I can get either a pure white or pink backlight.

It seems that while on the "Standard Effects" tab the red backlighting is not disabled no matter what color you set it to.

Ex. I have WASD, Shift, Control, Tab and 1-6 set for white, and F10 to Green (for ShadowPlay). Under the "Standard Effects tab the white looks pink and the green looks olive. Doing nothing else and switching to "Advanced Settings," the white is actually white and I now have an NVIDIA green, as intended.

Yours seems to be a firmware issue if you can't get the "Standard Settings" to display true colors for all keys.

This topic is about individual keys randomly shifting hues -- possibly cause by a certain RGB anode unable to output max capacity?

• 11 months later...
Funny you should mention banging it against the wall....

This happened to me once and I ended up wailing on the key for a bit and it cleared up. For me it was the V key. I think a piece of debris got under the backplate through the hole under the space bar and was covering part of the LED. Shaking the keyboard might have been more effective but cant really say since I haven't run into the issue again.

Thanks for this! Made my G key get much closer to normal, just shifting the switch around and abusing it a little bit. Made an account just to thank you.

EDIT: Shooting compressed air into the little hole next to the stem fixed it.

Thanks internet.

Edited by BingoFishy

• 3 years later...