Corsair Community

TW3X4G1333C9A - Module causes crashes, but Memtest finds nothing

LTK1

Hi all,

I recently bought 2x2GB of XMS3 DDR3-1333 memory to add to my existing 2x2GB of the same type, but it started to cause some problems. Webpages started crashing regularly and I even started getting blue screen crashes (caused by read/write errors), which hasn't happened before in this computer's lifetime.

I pinpointed the fault to be in one of the two new memory sticks, seeing how the crashes stop when I remove one of the new modules, whereas removing the other makes little difference. I even checked if the problem might be with slot three or four on the motherboard, but when I tested both modules on slot three, the other was still causing crashes.

After two blue screen crashes I returned the memory (both modules) to the place I bought it, where they ran Memtest plus a burn-in test, finding zero errors. They returned the memory to me, and I ran memtest myself for one pass just to be sure, but nothing turned up.

The only difference I can find between the original and the new memory modules is the version number. The original are v2.2 and the new are v6.0. If it was a compatibility problem, you'd think my original memory would give me problems as well, but they've been working perfectly.

So I know that one of my modules is faulty even though Memtest says otherwise. Is there anything I can do about this, or do I have no other choice than to write it off?

I recently bought 2x2GB of XMS3 DDR3-1333 memory to add to my existing 2x2GB of the same type, but it started to cause some problems. Webpages started crashing regularly and I even started getting blue screen crashes (caused by read/write errors), which hasn't happened before in this computer's lifetime.

Mixing two kits of the SAME exact part number and even version number have a high chance of not working together. Corsair does not suggest or support mixing memory kits for this reason. It's sold in matched kits. So you are trying to get two non matched kits to work.

This is also why memtest turns up nothing...the RAM is good.

Try reducing the frequency to 1066mhz and maybe add .2 volts to the northbridge to make up for the extra load on the memory controller and see if it stable there.

I see why mixing kits might be causing the problem, but if using three modules - two of the first kit, one of the second - stops the crashes, are nonmatched kits still to blame? Nevertheless, I will try adjusting the frequency.

It's really hard telling for sure. The only way to eliminate that possibility would be to test each module individually. If they all pass in the first slot then you have your answer. :)

There is always the possibility that you have a bad RAM slot too... So if they all pass in the first slot, move right on down the slots to check them all out.

3 sticks could make it stable if there is a problem with either the slot or the memory controller.It would just add that stick in as capacity , but it would be at the expense of speed because you would loose dual channel mode.

I say possibly a slot because you say adding that 4th stick makes it unstable. But adding that 4th module enables dual channel mode. which is a function of the MB not the memory.

It did occur to me that one of the slots might be faulty, so I tried both of the new modules in slot three, like I said before. One gave me crashes, the other one didn't. That doesn't rule out the possibility that slot four is faulty, but it does confirm that something is wrong with one of the modules.

If I do adjust the frequency and voltage, is it advisable to do this for just the bad module, and leave the other three set to the defaults?

Archived