Corsair Community

HX750i works for a 3x 8pin pcie-3 3080 card?

RodrigoDRT

• 2 weeks later...
planning to buy this card, but it needs 3x 8 pin from psu, does this HX750i has what it takes?

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-3080-GAMING-X-TRIO-10G/Overview

You are bumping up against the limitations of lower rated PSUs. I suggest getting a 1000W unit which has more 12V cable headers as more and more motherboards are demanding dual power cables themselves.

Can you elaborate is that HX750i specifically lower rated PSU..?

I checked the cabling slots from the picture, it seems to have 2 + 3 slots for 8 pin CPU/PCIe. That would suffice for 2x to CPU and still leave 3x PCIe open for use. Also the RTX 3080 cards should do just fine with 2x PCIe cables (that split to total 4x connections).

At least where I live, I bumped into a shortage of 850W+ PSUs when upgrading, so its not necessarily easy (or financially viable) to just upgrade for "just to be sure".

Don't get me wrong, I love my new HX1000i, but in my use case I plan to run a bit more than just one RTX 3080 on it.

• Corsair Employee
Can you elaborate is that HX750i specifically lower rated PSU..?

I checked the cabling slots from the picture, it seems to have 2 + 3 slots for 8 pin CPU/PCIe. That would suffice for 2x to CPU and still leave 3x PCIe open for use. Also the RTX 3080 cards should do just fine with 2x PCIe cables (that split to total 4x connections).

At least where I live, I bumped into a shortage of 850W+ PSUs when upgrading, so its not necessarily easy (or financially viable) to just upgrade for "just to be sure".

Don't get me wrong, I love my new HX1000i, but in my use case I plan to run a bit more than just one RTX 3080 on it.

I don't know what he's talking about either. An HX750i can easily power a GTX 3080 card.

some older models of power supplies do not have enough 12v plugs give modern motherboards wanting dual EPS12V cables etc

uppity video cards often have 3 8-pin cable requirements so units like my RM650 which only has 4 12v plugs is hard pressed

My HX1000i has more 12V plugs so i can handle the demanding cards with adequate cables