Corsair Community

memtest86 freezes on testing CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

greekeagle12

I had built a pc system 2 years ago. Everything was ok untill August that i started having random Bsod 116 and TDR warnings...

I sent the Gpu (palit gt 240) to be tested from shop service and they said was ok (but i replaced it anyway with a palit gtx 460)

Problems still were there with TDR... but BSOD dissapeard

So i tried to look what other hardware may be fault and i started with the memory...

Every time i run memtest86 4.20 it freezes after some time... it may be after 4 passes or after 7 passes.. but without errors

Same on running the test on each one module and different socket

Also every time i run linx test (all ram -20 or more passes) it finished without errors but the pc lags a lot during the test (as i remember this didnt happened at the 1st year)

info:

2 years now i run my pc with cpu overclocked from 2,66 to 3,37 (160x21) using xmp, vcore 1.15, imc 1.15, vdram 1,65

i also upped vcore to 1,20 or 1,25 or imc to 1,20 or 1,25 but same TDR problems

Temps are cpu: 40 idle 60 fully load(linx test) (using corsair h80)

So is my ram maybe faulty or it is something else like psu that dont let memtest continues for ever untill i choose to stop it?...

Thank you in advance for ur help, may u excuse me for my bad English, greetings from Athens - Greece

Memory: CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

Load set up defaults and and test each stick individually in the first slot to see if you have any modules that stick out as bad.

Let each stick run for about 3-4 passes or until you get an error. No need to go any further if it kicks an error.

If you have more than one stick show as bad test in other slots on the MB.

Load set up defaults and and test each stick individually in the first slot to see if you have any modules that stick out as bad.

Let each stick run for about 3-4 passes or until you get an error. No need to go any further if it kicks an error.

If you have more than one stick show as bad test in other slots on the MB.

i loaded bios setup defaults(Ram@1333, 1.50v, 9.9.9.24, 1N), first stick in frist slot=10hours 23 passes Ok

i am testing second now and i will update

Did you have legacy USB Disabled, if not I would retest with Legacy USB S=disabled and if you still get the same errors please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

Thank u for ur response Ram Guy, i 'm gonna test them with legacy off and will update.

same with usb legacy disabled.... at 3 hours memtest86 (cd) stopped.... i am gonna take them back to the store that i first bought them. If they dont RMA them i will fill the RMA request here.

Thanks again Ram Guy.

*I hope that it isn't a motherboard problem and the ram replacement will fix it

• Corsair Employee
That would suggest some other issue but you can try and replace them if you like. I would suggest checking for the latest MB BIOS and then load setup defaults and set the tested settings manually except set the memory frequency at DDR1333 and see if it will pass. If it does it could be that your CPU just does not over clock that well, or you may need to increase the memory controller voltage +.1 Volts.

Ram Guy, i allready use the latest mb bios (v.2004).

I also has these o.c settings 2 years now without an issue.

So u say to set default settings (ide & not achi, etc) manually set ram to 1333, 9,9,9,24 1,5v - usb legacy off and see if pass?

A question... memory controller voltage is the imc (1.15 to be setting to 1.25 or 1.16?) or the dramv(1.65v to be setting to 1.66v).

thanks again

• Corsair Employee
I see well I was under the impression this was a new Build that does change things, I would test the modules one at a time to see if one is failing and if they both pass or they both fail then it is likely the CPU or MB that is failing. And I would suggest testing the memory on another system to be sure.

here in Greece (i prefer Hellas, Greece name was given by the Turks)..

.. we say: "if u dont have ur own nails to scratch urself when u want then u have a problem"...

.. so i used a micro zoom photo camera to look closer to the socket...

.. and i fixed this tiny tiny tiny contact that i saw below...

.. now i hope that my troubles will pass... just hoping... i 'm gonna test again the memory (2 at the same time) to see if memtest hang again (unexpected interrupt-halting)

...and ofcourse the most important to see if i still get tdr's and bsod's

:) thanks again for ur time Ram Guy, aprecciate it (sorry for my bad english)

http://imagerous.com/images2/79839533067468328028.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

last update status:

no, nothing... evel Intel replaced my i5 750 with a brand new.... but TDR (nvidia driver has stopped responding and has recovered), random freeze on windows 7 welcome screen and some green pixels on the top of some web pages (..this is new) continues...

Now i believe that i damaged my motherboard when i installed corsair h80 cooler on August... nothing else can cross my mind... maybe i pressed too much the cpu cocket.. or the one pin who looked bent is doing such problem, even if i allready put it back in the line..

Nevermind.... pffffff... bad luck... what else i can say...

Archived