Corsair Community

Ok so I got the RGB and liquid cooling (CPU) bug and purchased a Crystal 680X (black) and h100i cooler plus other goodies. I'm going to stick my somewhat dated but still really good Gigabyte B75DN-D3H mobo and Intel i7-3770K, 3.5GHZ CPU (32MB DDR3 memory) and ASUS Strix GTX 1080Ti in it for now but am considering upgrading to the new Intel i9 or AMD Ryzen setups and a GTX 2080 card.

I don't do a bunch of gaming but do a bunch of video editing...

thoughts on AMD Ryzen vs Intel i9???

thanks!

TheDuke

That's the whole can of worms right there !!!!

You will get divided opinion here, and pretty much all of it (with the possible exception of mine) will be balanced and accurate !!

My current build is Ryzen 9. My last several, for the last 15 years or so have been Intel, before that I was an early adopter of the AMD Athlon stuff, so I've had feet in both camps. Ryzen vs Intel i9 is very close these days. Both are super reliable and whichever way you go I think it will be the right choice.

From what I see, Intel will get you a higher clock speed. There are loads of reports of people getting 5.x out of an Intel chip. Ryzen seems to top out around 4.2. But you'll get more threads on a Ryzen chip. Another factor to look at is PCIE4. Without knowing where your bottleneck is in your video editing world, the option you get with Ryzen is the X570 chipset which opens up PCIE4 for NVMe storage. I've not really seen a lot of use cases around now where people are actually benefitting from this speed potential yet, and in your case a 5.1 GHz CPU might be a better option.

Personally I'm excited by NVMe at PCIE 4.0, and also I like supporting AMD where it is practical. IMHO For the last few years it hasn't been worth my while. I have preferred the reliability Intel provided. Now I have a work laptop I use for reliability, I can go back to the edge cases now !!

Sorry mate, that's not a definitive answer, and TBH I don't think there is one.

What we can do though is get you to think about what's important for your use case. Either way - Ryzen and i9 are both extremely solid choices today so we are spoiled for choice.

Thanks Mate! I did go from the AMD camp to Intel myself kind of the same path at the time the i7's came out they were ahead of the AMD offerings and I haven't looked back. My main bottleneck in video editing is the render itself so i'll bet I will benefit from PCIE4 for NVMe storage....Things are moving so fast at this point...Fun times.

For now my 680X build will be using my maxed out i7 setup but who knows, I may decide the price is right for the i9 or the Ryzen....

TheDuke

Sounds like a really smart approach.

I started my build back in Sep last year, and I still haven't bought my AMD CPU yet !! I want the 3950X and I watched it become instantly unobtainable the day it launched (in Australia we get stuff later than the rest of the world). Then COVID hit and it went from being available on backorder to simply not available at all. Then the price jumped about 35%, and still wasn't actually available. Now, finally, the price is slowly coming back down and stock levels are returning so I can make the leap pretty soon.

By the time I get to actually finish my build, next gen Ryzen will be out and PCIE4 GPUs will be a realistic option - you can't win !!!!

Edited by Salsiccia