Corsair Community

Void Elite RGB quiet mic

First, I see there's other posts very similar or exactly like this from earlier years. So I apologize if this has already been resolved, but I didn't see a resolution and I haven't seen any posts for 2020.

So, I have a Void RGB Elite Wireless.

Fresh install of Win10 (v2004)

iCue 3.33.246

Firmware 0.02

Mic volume is incredibly low. Friends in various applications say I'm very quiet.

I've verified mic is at 100%. There is no "Boost" or "Dynamic Volume Control". The "test your mic" wizard in Windows says the max it detects is 8%. If I eat the mic, i get 15%. If I turn on sidetone, i hear myself _quite_ clearly but i'm not tryin to hear myself.

I did a bunch of searching, here & across the whole interwebs... and I see that there's been a fair amount of similar complaints going back 5'ish years. I've seen some people use 3rd party software to increase the microphone gain; but that seems sketchy.

Am I on the right firmware? Am I using the right version of iCue? Is this just a Corsair thing? My G633 has zero issues (dynamic gain control) but isn't wireless and isn't as comfortable as the void rgb elite headset.

Did I waste $80~ ?

Hey DrunknCanuck,

This worked a lot back when those issues came around with the Void headsets. I hope this can work for you.

Right Click on the Windows Audio indicator at the bottom of your taskbar.

Click on Sound settings.

Click on Sound Control Panel.

Go to the Recordings tab.

Double Click on the Void Microphone device.

Go to the Advanced tab.

And set the Quality to DVD.

let me know if that works for you!

-Corsair Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I can still confirm that the microphone is very quiet on discord and in games especially. I've tried all recommended changes to settings in windows, which for a user that buys something off the shelf and expects it to work as advertised, I'm really not very impressed with the price point to quality of microphone audio right out of the box and with iCue software installed.

Even after following your forums suggestions, the microphone picks up -maybe 2% of record-able sounds. If the software teams angle was to cancel out background noise, I believe they have succeeded beyond their own intentions and also canceled out the user that is trying to transmit through the microphone that is attached to the headset. I find this unacceptable as I have used many headsets before that simply plug in and run exceptionally well right out of the box with a basic Microsoft driver installed.

This issue really needs a firm analysis and for the drivers/firmware to have the noise cancellation option not be up to the developers, and let the user control the device they purchased. As other members of this forum and for this particular headset have stated, this issue still persists and needs to be resolved. TY for your time :sigh!:

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
I Also have this problem , Just got this headphone 4 days ago. mic is very low i almost have to eat the mic just so my friends can hear me . I use Voicemeeter to try and boost it but it only boost it a little and it picks up way too much background noise. Im from a third world country and i spent $125 usd to get it here when it was at $79.99 discount. :( to think that a fancy headset would have some additional settings for mic boost and noise cancelling feature. Icue is 3.34.170 and headphone v.0.02 Edited by StevenDesu
Forgot to add software and headphone firmware version

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have the same Issue. I tryed everything, nothing change.

I also try EPO Equalizer, with +35dB, users can here me a bit on discord but they put my sound in max.

+38dB, saturation appears.

I can't make online games with such a mic .

I reach the assistance, i'm waiting their feedback.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I received my Void Elite RGB and my mic is also super quiet (see screenshot below). The mic level is set to highest in iCue, Audacity and every other place I can set the mic volume. I've also tried the set to DVD quality workaround but no difference. The headset is running on latest firmware according to iCue. Pretty disappointed here, I'm gonna return my unit :(

edit: does anyone know if this is a fluke? I can get my money back from the shop I bought it from or swap it for another unit and since I like the headset I preferably want to just swap it but if the mic is aweful again than I won't bother.

rxA7ML8.jpg

Edited by mcxmxmz

• 2 weeks later...

I bought myself for Christmas this Void Elite USB and, surpise, got the same issue. Friends can't hear me on Discord and i'm hearing WAY too loud, i have to put volume on 4 to not become deaf. After days of researches and testing all the different solutions i could find on the web (obviously none of them worked), i decided to ask Amazon a new headset.

i'm supposed to receive it today, i really hope the issue was because of a defective product, cause i really like Corsair products... If the issue is still going, then i'll assume my PC is just too old (baseboard is like 10 years old). I'll post an update here after testing the new headset.

i installed this equalizer (APO) everybody's talking about but it's not right. It doesn't feel right as the headset is supposed to fully work by itself.

EDIT:

the new headset worked slightly better, but not enough. i returned it and asked for a refund, that's sad...

Edited by Whyudothis

You can count me in as another user with the same issue. I am about to return the product as the microphone is SO quiet that my friends on discord have serious issues hearing me even when they set my sound to 200%.

This is really sad as the headset is great, comfortable, sound is very good and the mike lets it down. The odd thing is, if i listen to myself through one of the options available either in the software or through windows, it sounds really really great.

Anything else i use it with, it just doesn't have enough power for anyone to hear me.

Solutions?

• Corsair Employee
You can count me in as another user with the same issue. I am about to return the product as the microphone is SO quiet that my friends on discord have serious issues hearing me even when they set my sound to 200%.

This is really sad as the headset is great, comfortable, sound is very good and the mike lets it down. The odd thing is, if i listen to myself through one of the options available either in the software or through windows, it sounds really really great.

Anything else i use it with, it just doesn't have enough power for anyone to hear me.

Solutions?

I suggest trying to disable "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" in the headset's properties. You can navigate to this screen by going Sound Settings>Sound Control Panel (right side)>Recording>Select VOID ELITE Headset, click "Properties">Advanced

attachment.php?attachmentid=40177&stc=1&d=1610742369

temp.png.d0a1ce16fa91445510ecbe538b9c94ee.png

• Corsair Employee
I bought myself for Christmas this Void Elite USB and, surpise, got the same issue. Friends can't hear me on Discord and i'm hearing WAY too loud, i have to put volume on 4 to not become deaf. After days of researches and testing all the different solutions i could find on the web (obviously none of them worked), i decided to ask Amazon a new headset.

i'm supposed to receive it today, i really hope the issue was because of a defective product, cause i really like Corsair products... If the issue is still going, then i'll assume my PC is just too old (baseboard is like 10 years old). I'll post an update here after testing the new headset.

i installed this equalizer (APO) everybody's talking about but it's not right. It doesn't feel right as the headset is supposed to fully work by itself.

EDIT:

the new headset worked slightly better, but not enough. i returned it and asked for a refund, that's sad...

Thank you for your feedback. Is the low mic output limited to only Discord, or other voice chat applications?

Same here. It's apparently a common issue. I'm on day 3 of this headset and if there isn't resolution to this issue soon, I will be forced to return them. I love the comfort and sound but the mic not performing enough to be heard in game is not an option for a $100 headset.

Here is the windows test to demonstrate the poor performance I am stuck with.

I have updated to the latest version of ICUE software (WINDOWS 3.37.140 01/11/2021) on the website with no change. This problem is both in teamspeak and Discord so it's not a discord issue.

Click For Full-Size Image.[/img]

Please address and post solutions here in this thread if there is one as I would really like to solve this and keep this comfortable, good sounding headset.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same issue with in-game voice chat in Fortnite, on Discord and now some colleagues could not hear me well on a Meets call.

I tried every solution posted here, but no use.

Like a lot of people commented before me, I can't believe this is an issue for a US$ 100 item (and I bought it in Chile, so, actually, is way more expensive than that).

I need a solution because I can't return it now and can't believe the only solution comes from another user with a workaround.

Thanks by the way, I'll try it @Necromancer49.

Although I believe is Corsair responsability here.

Hey everyone, new guy here. I had the exact same issues mentioned above but I managed to hack together a fix. Long story short, I think the issue is related to Realtek audio drivers and Windows 10. I wrote up how I fixed the problem on Reddit:

• Corsair Employee
I'm having the same issue with in-game voice chat in Fortnite, on Discord and now some colleagues could not hear me well on a Meets call.

I tried every solution posted here, but no use.

Like a lot of people commented before me, I can't believe this is an issue for a US$ 100 item (and I bought it in Chile, so, actually, is way more expensive than that).

I need a solution because I can't return it now and can't believe the only solution comes from another user with a workaround.

Thanks by the way, I'll try it @Necromancer49.

Although I believe is Corsair responsability here.

Hi Chilean_dude,

Please open a ticket with our support at https://help.corsair.com and we'll help resolve the issue.

I have been checking into the Void Elite RGB headset mic for a few days now and I have found out that they have had volume level issues for YEARS! I have been trying since Xmas to figure out a solution to not having to swallow my mic so people can hear me and I have only for out that a HUGE percentage of people suffer the same issue and corsair just says they have sent some thing or another to the software people... I want my money back!:mad:

I bought this headset yesterday and the Mic Quality <or it volume> is very quiet. I have been using HyperX Cloud first edition and it was much better. Solutions posted here earlier does not help me at all. Is there any fix incoming or just return headset and buy another one?

• Corsair Employee
I have been checking into the Void Elite RGB headset mic for a few days now and I have found out that they have had volume level issues for YEARS! I have been trying since Xmas to figure out a solution to not having to swallow my mic so people can hear me and I have only for out that a HUGE percentage of people suffer the same issue and corsair just says they have sent some thing or another to the software people... I want my money back!:mad:

I bought this headset yesterday and the Mic Quality <or it volume> is very quiet. I have been using HyperX Cloud first edition and it was much better. Solutions posted here earlier does not help me at all. Is there any fix incoming or just return headset and buy another one?

Please open a ticket with our support at https://help.corsair.com and we'll take care of you guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Just registered to the site after experiencing the same problem everyone else has. I followed Neuromancer49's suggestion in the reddit thread and it worked beautifully!

Download EqualizerAPO

Set your device

Reboot

Navigate to C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt

Add the following lines in that file as separate lines:

Device: Microphone

Preamp: +XXdb

XX above can be any amount you want to increase the volume by. His guide says +16db, I ended up going all the way up to +35db. Be advised that the windows microphone test will not pick up the additional volume, but Discord and other apps should.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also having the issue and even with trying to up the preamp with the suggested fix, my mic is still super quiet. Tempted to see if I can return it under warranty as the mic is rubbish!

Anyone else found a fix?

I've contacted support about this already, RMA done and replacement has the exact same problem.

Using Equaliser APO works, which tells me the hardware probably isnt to blame.

Please pass this on so that you can issue a FW or SW update to fix it! I cant return my headset to the shop I got it now because its outside the returns window, because Corsair wanted me to return it to them, so I am now stuck with this headset and it's really awful.

I have a wireless corsair void RGB (first one) and it works perfectly compared to this.

only thing it's needed is a replacement battery!

This wired headset is total rubbish considering its supposed to be the "upgraded" version.

• 3 weeks later...
Just registered to the site after experiencing the same problem everyone else has. I followed Neuromancer49's suggestion in the reddit thread and it worked beautifully!

Download EqualizerAPO

Set your device

Reboot

Navigate to C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\config.txt

Add the following lines in that file as separate lines:

Device: Microphone

Preamp: +XXdb

XX above can be any amount you want to increase the volume by. His guide says +16db, I ended up going all the way up to +35db. Be advised that the windows microphone test will not pick up the additional volume, but Discord and other apps should.

This must have been where I wasn't seeing an improvement. I was just using the windows mic test and seeing 2-6 percent still. I'll use discord instead and see if there's a difference in volume.

This is obviously a software issue and not hardware related, because I didn't have this issue on my older PC but I do now after building a new PC and keeping my external devices. It's insane to think a $100 headset doesn't function properly without third party software. All of my other Corsair products work flawlessly. Someone failed quality testing and Corsair don't choose to fix it since not enough people are coming forward with the issue.