Corsair Community

What's the Mic Loopback

haotian

I own Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset.

There's no matter if the microphone loopback level on the gui of the headset application is slided down to zero, or raised up to top (full); I can't see any difference.

I was wondering if it sends the mic input to headphones, so that I could hear my own voice, but apparently I can't. The mic isn't muted, is working, my problem is with the loopback feature. Any advice ? And what does the feature do anyway ?

---

Question 2 : The dolby option of processor is configured to output 5.1 3d audio I guess.

What's the difference if I use the headset in dolby mode but have my windows speaker configuration at 5.1 and 7.1 ?

---

Question 3 : I'm not sure which configuration (including windows speaker configuration) would be better for fps games, to hear footsteps and locate enemy.

Thank you.

I own Corsair Vengeance 1500 headset.

There's no matter if the microphone loopback level on the gui of the headset application is slided down to zero, or raised up to top (full); I can't see any difference.

I was wondering if it sends the mic input to headphones, so that I could hear my own voice, but apparently I can't. The mic isn't muted, is working, my problem is with the loopback feature. Any advice ? And what does the feature do anyway ?

---

Question 2 : The dolby option of processor is configured to output 5.1 3d audio I guess.

What's the difference if I use the headset in dolby mode but have my windows speaker configuration at 5.1 and 7.1 ?

---

Question 3 : I'm not sure which configuration (including windows speaker configuration) would be better for fps games, to hear footsteps and locate enemy.

Thank you.

Does anyone have an answer these questions?

The loopback setting only applies to applications that make use of it. Just about all games can output in stereo, most games can output in 5.1 3D positional audio. A few games can do 7.1, so refer to the documentation for the particular game you're using to know what to set. As far as configuration goes you're going to need to experiment to find what sounds right to you. The defaults that are established when you installed the software are your starting point. All surround sound setups require end user tweaking, there isn't any easy way around it. You might also need to tweak the sensitivity of the microphone as well.

It's the windows functionality, I'm saying that the corsair's headphone application also has a mic loopback slider but it has no functionality or I don't know what difference it makes.

It seems to not make any change. That's my question

Test it out on Skype, Ventrillo, Mumble, Steam, TeamSpeak, ect. I gave a set of them as a gift to the son of a friend of mine; I can't remember what we used to test out the function after setting up the 3D. He was in a god-awful hurry to start gaming with them.

I already tried teamspeak 3's loopback, windows loopback, counter strike loopback features,

however, having the loopback level slider at zero level or max. level in the corsair headphones application gui, doesn't make any difference at the sound; or doesn't turn of/off the loopback. Simply it doesn't affect anything by my experiments. That's why I'm so curious and asking here, what it's doing. And still I don't know. And still asking.

It seems that no-one can or will answer this. I honestly have no real understanding of how this works.

There is a gray area where it is unclear if the audio processing is done on the CPU as with all USB devices or if the loopback is handled on the DAC of the device itself.

Corsair has to be careful how they answer such questions or jerks like myself will read it to mean something that may contradict what they say in another post. It is nothing personal, I just have a nack for finding when someone mistakenly gives a very general response to a question and accidentally implies something contrary to what they said elsewhere.

You can keep bumping the topic. I will keep watching for a response. Hopefully we can find an answer that will satisfy you eventually. But I am unsure anyone here knows what to say and how to say it.

• 9 months later...
Microphone loopback relays your microphone's input into the headphones. It helps you verify that your microphone is working, and helps keep you from speaking too loudly or too softly.

Loopback is enabled automatically. It's automatically disabled when the microphone boom is rotated up to mute the microphone.

This is the answer Corsair has here

I have the same pair of headsets and love them myself. Replaced some stolen 5.1 headphones from a Corsair competitor. These are much better sound wise and directionality wise.

Haven't seen the loopback feature work either. The only way to hear yourself is through some other program that is typically delayed quite a bit and useless, I was hoping this loopback feature would be faster and have less of an echoey effect on my brain. As it is I was just trying to see if it made a difference in the volume when I set the microphone to play back on the headset through the windows sound control panel (Recording Devices-->Microphone.Properties-->Listen Tab->Check box "Listen to this device," and there's a drop down menu to show what device to playback the mic). Still a delay that way, and the volume control on the Corsair plugin doesn't change anything.

Its ok, the wine of the mute button in-line lets me know I have it muted. And the windows microphone setup keeps it from being too loud and the only other program I use is Teamspeak3 and that has lots of controls to regulate volume and whateverthehellyouwant.

Hi Loopback allows you to listen to your own voice...

using vista 64 bit.....

1/ right-click the volume icon (little speaker) icon in your system tray.

2/ left-click playback devices

3/ right-click on corsair vengeance 1500 (or you corsair headset) and left-click propeties.

4/ Under Levels- Tab make sure that the microphone is not muted. Try the lööp-back feature.

• Corsair Employee

This video helps with some of the loopback issues (or lack of it):

See if this helps with your issue where the slider doesn't do anything.

As for question 2, you should set your Windows speaker configuration to match what you set in our software. Otherwise your results may not be what you expect.

The answer to question 3 would vary based on the game you play, sound preferences and what your own preferences are.

Archived